Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I want a cool cloth hat...any ideas

Big Dave

New in Town
Howdy,

All this hat talk has me interested in finding a light cloth hat that would be suitable for seriously sweaty yard work and ocean kayaking.

I've been using baseball caps, but would like a little more sun protection.

The brim in the front needs to be able to handle 20+ mph wind gust without blowing off. I'd prefer not to wear a string to hold it on.

Do you guys have any ideas?

Thanks,
Dave

Danosaurus

New in Town
I'll add my vote for Tilley hats, I have both a T3 and T5 and they're great. I plan on taking my T5 to Kauai in August, but looking at your pics makes me want to leave tomorrow!

One of the things I like about my T5 is that it has a dark green underbrim, which cuts down on glare out on the water. All Tilleys also have dual windcords, you can either wear it in the front, back (mountie or state trooper-like) or both when it's windy. They also have a foam insert in the crown so they float.

They have a brand new 2004 model, a T5 made of hemp...so I guess if all else fails you can smoke your hat, for medical reasons of course... :cool2:

Big Dave

New in Town
Hello again

They only sell the T3 locally. I'll go check it out sometime soon at Ala Moana shopping center.

I got a little sunburned yesterday on my lips after spend 3 hours in the yard. Blazing sun. I typically wear a longsleeve shirt, pants and put sunscreen on all other exposed areas. A big brim is the ticket.

Take care,
Dave

Danosaurus

New in Town
The T3 does have a nice wide brim, and if you like you can snap either side up for that Aussie look.

For really good sun protection, the T4 is the way to go. It has a very wide downward sloping brim in front and back to protect the face and neck, a little narrower on the sides but plenty to protect the ears.

If they don't have other models locally, try www.noggintops.com. They carry almost all the Tilley hats at decent prices too.

Forgot to mention, Tilley also makes most styles in a super lightweight nylon version. Very nice.

Big Dave

New in Town
I got one.

Yes, the T3. I like it very much and took it out on the kayak today.

She stayed on fine without the strap in 10 to 15 mph trades.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Dave

hatlady

New in Town
whateverrrrrrr

Dave,,, seriously a tilley, I'm so hurt, don't you know about our uber cool hemp cotton hats ...dude... get with it!!!

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"Ultimate" vs. Tilley

Sorry to revive an old topic, but I'm off to distant (and hot!) lands in a few months and need to get a good warm weather hat to protect myself from the beating sun (good for summer wear here in Dixie, too). I am considering a Tilley, but also ran across the Ultimate Hat. Does anyone have any experience with them, particularly as they compare to a Tilley?

Alternatively, what about a Filson for hot, sunny weather?

AlanC

Old Hat, great reply--just the information I was looking for. I'll go with a Tilley, then, and apparently there are some retailers locally. I've got time to do some legwork and check them out.

The cooler the better, most likely, but I'd had some hesitation about the synthetics. I'll probably go that route now, though.

What model(s) do you have?

Thanks!

AlanC

Thanks for the continued help. I'm going to India for about three weeks, and will be in the city some, but also going to some villages in the hinterlands. I'll be there late May-early June. My thinning hair leaves me particularly in need of head coverage these days.

Canadave

One Too Many
You can also order directly from Tilley for the full collection. Good advice about trying it on if you can...their sizing is kinda wacky...mine's an 8 1/4 or so...I can't find it right now.

You might want to write the date you buy it inside the hat...I think it's a Tilley tradition...I got mine in May '89.

David

PS I'm usually jealous of you California guys who can get together, go to Art's etc, but in this case, I feel fortunate to live about 20 minutes from Tilley's flagship store!

Canadave

One Too Many
In light of this thread, I went into their flagship store today, and tried on a lot of hats. They are amazingly well made, and I recommend them highly, but unfortunately, their sizing is a tad inconsistent, (explained by an employee as due to the fact that they are all hand-made), so you really do have to try them on.

David

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Anybody out there have any experience with the Tilley T4 Hemp hat? Or is it too new.

They are offering it at Tilley and also the Village Hat Shop, among other places. Tilley states that you should order one size up from what you normally wear, so I guess that would make me a 7 1/4 rather than 7 1/8. It also states you should measure your head size from just above your eyebrows; I guess the hats fit lower or something.

I think I would like that for a hot weather hat, looks versatile and tough. I love Panama hats but seem to have awful luck with them.

karol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo