Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ice Cream !!!!

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Here is a thread to post your contemporary or vintage ice cream experiences. Post the noteworthy ice cream!!!!!!!!!!!

So then, I start with today´s grape and vinegar. Reddish in colour, volumious in taste and refreshing. Just right with today´s heat. It was acompanied with honey and walnut and a red spoon.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
You scream!

Ah yes, ice cream. Well, as a kid in the mid 50's we always used to go to the beach at Lake Erie (which was clean and wonderful back then) and on the way home stopped at Ellis Brothers, in Westfield NY. It was one of those old fashioned soda shops, with high ceilings, slow turning ceiling fans and white hexagonal tiles on the floor. It was always shady and cool on hot summer days. We sat in high backed booths and orgied on dairy goodies. People knew what an ice cream soda was back then, and we had them, and sundaes and huge thick milk shakes.
Once my mother, who grew up in New York City, and liked a chocolate ice cream soda made with chocolate ice cream, thank you, asked for a chocolate ice cream soda with chocolate ice cream. What she got was a soda made with chocolate syrup and vanilla ice cream (standard for the world west of the Hudson River) and a dish of chocolate ice cream next to it.
Another time we made our own ice cream on the beach using an old fashioned hand cranked ice cream maker. The gadget has a reservoir in the middle, which holds the ingredients, cream, fruit and there should be egg yolks as well.
Around this is a wooden bucket that you pack with ice. There's a crank on top which churns the mixture inside as it slowly (and I mean slowly) freezes. You have to keep it moving or it turns to frozen glop.
It was laborious but delicious.
You young'ens may not realize this, but before about 1960 soda straws were made of wrapped up waxed paper. This made for some messy adventures. Plain old chocolate milk could make a regular thin straw disintegrate eventually, if you tortured it long enough. You know, suck the milk up and let it go back down again a hundred times.
There were thick straws (the same diameter as all straws nowadays) that were designed for the gigantic thick milkshakes we used to get then (for about 30 cents!). It was not a decent milkshake if the straw didn't stand up in it. You could easily go through 2 or 3 pairs of straws in one good milk shake. And it was wonderfully gross to watch the straws slowly unravel from the bottom and disintegrate at the top as they got soggy.
Good times.

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
I have an ice cream maker which I have had to stop using because I was making too much of the stuff.

Particular favourites were cream cheese flavoured ice cream (don't knock it till you've tried it) and lemon sorbet with vodka & chillies.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Both sound utterly delicious - recipes please!

The last one I made and loved was a grapefruit and tarragon sorbet. Usually the more bizarre the recipe sounds, the more likely I am to try it (as long as it's vegetarian).

Chainsaw

Suspended
A chef once told me you can make an excellent vodka sorbet. Which means you can use less sugar too I guess, still haven't tried it though. I love just Strawberry ice creme. :rolleyes: h

I found a recipe in an old cook book, which uses whole milk, real whip creme et cetera. It's really satisfying, I only eat a small bowl of it, when I make it. If it's store bought, I usually end up eating the whole container. :eek:

davestlouis

Practically Family
Plain old butter pecan or pistachio are my favorites. We used to make our own in a hand-cranked churn when I was a little kid...yummy!

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
lolly_loisides said:
I have an ice cream maker which I have had to stop using because I was making too much of the stuff.

Particular favourites were cream cheese flavoured ice cream (don't knock it till you've tried it) and lemon sorbet with vodka & chillies.

Sounds fascinating.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
There is nothing on earth so satisfying on a hot summer afternoon than a Hoodsie cup.

Hoodsie.jpg

AntonAAK

Practically Family
lolly_loisides said:
lemon sorbet with vodka & chillies.

That sounds amazing.

I recently made a malt whisky and marmalade ice cream which I served with hot bread and butter pudding.

I too had to stop using the ice cream maker for a while, for the sake of my waistline.

DerMann

Practically Family
Four words.

Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla.

It's unfortunate that the most of the country misses out on this fantastic brand.

Any other store bought ice cream feels cheap in comparison.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
BinkieBaumont said:
I had not had ice-cream for about six months, on Sunday I came across sugar free Vanilla at one of the gelati emporiums that has 100's of choices, I skipped the cone and had it in a paper cup"

There's a product here called Carb Smart that's made by Breyers. The package doesn't actually say "ice cream." It's tasty and has only 5g net carb. The vanilla is good with root beer or chocolate-hazel nut tea.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
A derby teammate's hubby made a salted caramel and a burnt sugar last year. Both were amaaaaazing.

There's also an ice cream stand in some town in Mexico, somewhere between Guanajuato and San Miguel Allende (Dolores Hidalgo, maybe?) that will make any flavor ice cream you want. If you go and ask for sardine and beer ice cream, they'll tell you they're fresh out and will have it if you go back the next day.

Kishtu

Practically Family
Down here in Cornwall (home of the cream tea and don't let anyone tell you otherwise!) we have clotted cream and raspberry ice cream, and blackcurrant ripple ice cream. Both sufficiently tart to contrast quite deliciously with the creaminess.

Going down to Newquay and watching the waves coming in whilst you eat the first ice cream of the year sitting on a park bench overlooking the harbour.....watching the holidaymakers having fun with their kids ad their dogs in the sand, you think "there's not much changed from the great days of the holiday postcards!"

BTW does anyone else need "hundreds and thousands" (multi-coloured sugar strands) and "raspberry" (sticky red syrup) on an ice cream cone to really feel on holiday, or is it just me?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
on the exotic side of things, nowhere does ice cream like Brazil does.

Besides the more exotic fruits that you just cannot get here, (although suspiciously all the miracle fruits lately are all Amazonian ones)...there are a multitude of flavors that sound bizarre but once you try them...

Avocado Ice cream is surprisingly good, if you can get over the mental 'its a salad ingredient' thing.
Sweet Corn ice cream is also really yummy.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I had this today:
IMG_8826.jpg

Stracciatella e Pistaccio.

It was a tad expensive, but the name of the place was worth it:
IMG_8824.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot