Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If I had to pick one girl from the golden era

cneil

Familiar Face
Hayley Mills

I know, it is from a time a little after the Golden Era, but scince we are listing Starlets.
Hayley Mills ( Dose any one have a picture to post, maybe from "In Search of the Castaways" or "Summer Magic"?)

Always, A Juels Vern adventure, A Desney Movie, Staring Hayley Mills. Is a Combination I always found hard to beet. "In Search of the Castaways".

A bit young in the Desney films, but very Cute and bright, always cherful and a little mischevious.

In "That Darn Cat" she is a little more grown up.

I always Liked her.

Wild Root

Gone Home
tex_avery_loup_01bruit.jpg

cneil

Familiar Face
Virgina Mayo and Barbara Standwick

Two more for the list.
Virgina Mayo
and
Barbara Standwick.

Virgina Mayo, I do not think need any explanation, just WOW!
Beuitiful and a Great Dancer, can sing nicely, and is charming.

Barbara Standwick may need a little explanation, ussally plays very smart Ladys, but often not nice people.Beutiful but often like a black widow, very dangerius.
But My earlist memories of her is not from the Silver Screen but from the T.V. show she did years latter, "The Big Valley", So I see some one who sorta reminds me of my Grand Mother.

Wild Root

Gone Home
cneil said:
Joan Leslie
I had never noticed her befor, but these pictures, she is very cute!!!!
If they bottled that, I would buy it.
She has a most wonderful smile and great eyes, looks holesome and nice.

Me too bud! Me too! I agree that's part of my attraction to her is that holesome smile. ;)

=WR=

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
cneil said:
Joan Leslie
I had never noticed her befor, but these pictures, she is very cute!!!!
If they bottled that, I would buy it.

She has a most wonderful smile and great eyes, looks holesome and nice.
Cousin Hepcat said:

Exactly

Watch her with James Cagney in Yankee Doodle Dandy, thats what a couple the pics are from (If you can survive through really hammy movies- it's a bio about patriotic songwriter James M. Cohan- Hey, where else can you see Cagney sing and dance in a gruff Prohibition Gangster kinda way? "Ha-Yaaaaaaahm, a Yankee Doodle...")

- also Seargent York with Gary Cooper. Both play regularly on TCM. Here's her list:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0504125/

(also, you just said my previous choice for favorite, Grace Kelly - excellent taste - and how about for a modern parallel, Nicole Kidman??)
33.jpg

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
singer June Christy (w/ MP3)

Wild Root said:
Oooooooooh, nice! How about a young Martha Tilton who sang with Benny Goodman's Orch? She looked really swell in the mid 30's! And well, in the early 40's too! She was sweet!
=WR=

Ohh Man, Root, don't get started on the singers! :) Martha was Great! Voice and looks.

Ever heard of June Christy, sang with Stan Kenton? Sent you a couple from 78, Soothe Me & How High the Moon... she even did a a soundie with his band...

product-6004600.jpg
473822.jpg
FSCD1011.jpg
temp_christy.jpg

but the song that kills me every time:
Something Cool (MP3, 2 meg, 4 min) http://www.eternalgoods.com/10344.mp3

B00005GKDF.09.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

boomerchop

One of the Regulars
Virginia O'Brien

Speaking of singers, are any of you familiar with Virginia O'Brien? She was known as the "Deadpan Diva" for her way of singing without any facial expressions. My wife and I have been watching Marx Brothers movies lately and I thought I'd die laughing when Virginia did "Rock-a-Bye-Baby" in the film "The Big Store". What a hoot! I understand that she was discovered by Mayer of MGM when she was singing and evidently had stage fright and so showed no emotion. Everyone thought it was a comedy act, Mayer loved it and offered her a contract.

Tin Pan Sally

Picking one man

I think we all know that the perfect Golden Age man was world explorer Victor “Trader Vic� Jules Bergeron, who invented the Mai Tai in 1944 and opened his first club Hinky Dinks in 1932. He brought us exotica and got us drunk. A Tikiphiles dream come true.

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
Just one? Easy: the very unjustly forgotten Mary Beth Hughes:

marybeth1.jpg

marybeth2.jpg

DVD PlayerScreenSnapz076.jpg

DVD PlayerScreenSnapz081.jpg

DVD PlayerScreenSnapz096.jpg

menonhermind.jpg

You can check out more of Mary Beth at either of my two sites listed in my sig.

Oh, and first post! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran