Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you had a chance to travel through a TIME MACHINE for a WEEK? where would you go?

jessesgirl08

One of the Regulars
i would go back to 1949 and spend some time w/ my gram as a young woman. Actually i'd love to go back to anytime I could just sit outside on the porch :tea:with my gram and have a good long conversation with her. To hear her laugh again.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Wouldn't need a week. Just one hour of one July day....to be with these guys.

CW-300-_On-They-Came.jpg

AF

Brinybay

Practically Family
The only thing I'd really want to do is to find me and slap some sense into myself! But as much sense as I needed, it would take a lot of slapping, could get brutal!

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Without being too sentimental I would go back to Italy about fifty years ago and sit on the beach and shoot the breeze with my Dad, cos i never got to meet him and he would have been in his prime then. Failing that back to the Middle ages would be grand for a sneaky peek, perhaps in a city like London where there would be a bit of hustle and bustle to observe!

I like your style. We fly the flag proudly here!

Wouldn't need a week. Just one hour of one July day....to be with these guys.

CW-300-_On-They-Came.jpg

AF

I would probably go back somewhere betwen 1958 and 1965. I would like to meet my Grandparents when they were young and my papa was just a youngster. Not to mention the joys of seeing those old cars and fashions. Maybe I should just get some old money and buy up some goodies and stash them away where only I'd find them :)

I'd be tempted to use Biff's Back To The Future scenario!
Go back to a couple of specific days in 1940 with the Santa Anita race track winners records
and parlay a small amount of period cash into some fine financial gains.
Purchase some stock planned for good growth for me in the future.
Get a couple of suits and various clothes at some famous places.
Visit around LA and Hollywood. Go to San Francisco via rail.
Then take one of the famous Pullman rail trips to Chicago and on to NYC.

I want to go to McSorley's in NYC, back then it was no women allowed.

Then fly back to LA and maybe take the Pan Am Clipper to Hawaii.

I Adore Film Noir

A-List Customer
For the week, this would be my schedule:

Day 1: I would be on the observation deck of the New York Stock Exchange on October 29, 1929.
Day 2: I would spend an evening in a smoky jazz club listening to Billie Holiday and request Good Morning, Heartache.
Day 3: I would watch the filming of the burning of Atlanta on the set of Gone With The Wind.
Day 4: I would spend a day with Mlle. Coco Chanel, speaking perfect French, which in reality I cannot.
Day 5: I would be at Ellis Island to meet my Nana as she arrived with her two children to meet her husband.
Day 6: I would be front row center at Elvis' performance of Aloha from Hawaii on January 14, 1973.
Day 7: I would spend a sweet summer day with my Mom when she was a child.

grundie

One of the Regulars
As much as I would love to go and witness a historic moment, or some part of the world before it went all modern. I would do something personal.

I'd go back to Thursday the 4th of June 1987 at 7:20pm, O'Connor Court, Derry. Because at that time, myself and the beautiful Olivia were having a good old snog as young lovers do. Unfortunately, I broke it off with the line "I have to go home, Tomorrows World starts in 10 minutes". I have never lived it down.

Haversack

One Too Many
If I were in the market for modifying the past, I would opt for early on 14 June, 1914 Sarajevo and seek to detain/subdue/eliminate one Gavrilo Princip. Granted, there was an awful lot of lose powder lying around Europe that some other spark could have ignited the powder train the had been laid. But it would have likely involved a different set of circumstances and evolved in a different course. And maybe not. There had already been several incidents post-Victoria that could have flared into war but which were averted. Still, it is interesting to think of a world in which the First World War never occurred and where the multi-national states of Austria-Hungary, Germany, and Russia evolved into constitutional monarchies. (Yes, I know. A Pipe-Dream. Still. Germany and the K-und-K were on the path. Once Franz-Josef passed over, the way would be open. He'd been on the throne since 1848 after all.)

If purely for observation, I have a variety of times and places.

Eglington Castle, August-September 1839 for the tournament and ball.

Hyde Park, London, 1 May 1851 for the opening of the Great Exhibition.

Savoy Theatre, London, 10 October, 1881 for the opening performance of the theatre of _Patience_ by Gilbert and Sullivan.

Treasure Island, San Francisco, the week of 2-9 July, 1939 for the performances of Benny Goodman's band at the Golden Gate Exposition.

Haversack.

Missy Hellfire

One of the Regulars
Oh, so many places...
Whitechapel at the end of September 1888 (assuming that I would have some sort of protection) to try and see just who was the Ripper (I have a macabre streak a mile wide, sorry)

VE day here in Britain

Where I live in Lincolnshire when it was a Bomber Command base - The Dam Busters raid took off about 500 yards from where my house now stands.

To name but a few...

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Would you have tried to turn the tide? If so, what would you have done? Do you think you would have died that day?

No, I wouldn't want to change anything. History is fine as it is. I just wish that I could have been a lowly private in some North Carolina Regiment and have seen it all happen...

...and yes, I probably would have. Many, many young North Carolina privates did.

AF

Brings a tear to one's eye just thinking about it.

No, I wouldn't want to change anything. History is fine as it is. I just wish that I could have been a lowly private in some North Carolina Regiment and have seen it all happen...

...and yes, I probably would have. Many, many young North Carolina privates did.

AF

Diamondback1

New in Town
I supose I would like to have joined Dr. Horatio Nelson Jackson in the spring of 1903, when he set off from San Francisco in a 20-horsepower Winton touring car eventually becoming the first person to cross the United States in the new-fangled "horseless carriage." At the time there were only 150 miles of paved roads in the entire country, all of them within city limits. There were no gas stations and virtually no road maps as we know them today. Most people doubted that the automobile had much of a future. Jackson's trip would prove them wrong. What an adventure that must have been !!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo