Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you knew tomorrow was your last day on earth, what would be your last movie?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'd lock myself in the projection booth, barricade the door, and watch all of the Marx Brothers Paramount films on the big screen back to back. And if I still had some time left afterward, I'd throw in some of the better Wheeler and Woolseys.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
For fear of being a party pooper to the original question, the last thing I'd be doing if I knew I was going to be slipping off the bonds of this mortal coil in one day's time is watching movies.

I'd eat great food, drink the finest wines, go flying in an open cockpit aircraft, drive an old British sports car ridiculously quickly and do all sorts of unmentionable things with my beautiful and wonderful fiancée.

As they say, life's too short and I wouldn't waste the last of it in front of the goggle box or a movie screen!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
The Dame said:
But if you were going to waste it in front of the "goggle" box ...?

I wouldn't. I'd rather end it there and then if that's all I was going to do.

Pass the Webley dear and I'll try not to bleed all over the carpet.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
The Dame said:
Don't answer if you can't answer civilly. Just because you think it's a stupid question doesn't mean you have to truthfully post that - unless, of course, you're interested in driving the member who posed the question away. Is that your goal?

What is your goal then, The dame?
After 60 something posts and six days here?

Maybe you should get to know some of us - and the tounge in cheek atmosphere some of us like, before you start teaching us all how to behave. Just a kind advice. And welcome by the way.:)

The Dame

One of the Regulars
Smithy said:
I wouldn't. I'd rather end it there and then if that's all I was going to do.

shakeshead Who ever said it had to be the only thing you were going to do?

rumblefish said:
I'd want to watch something like Pearl Harbor with Ben Affleck. Because halfway through I'd wish I were dead. :p ;)

Oh, now if you're gonna go there ... Xanadu trumps that any day. Wouldn't even take a person until halfway through to wish they were dead! :D

The Dame

One of the Regulars
Spitfire said:
What is your goal then, The dame?

In this thread - to hear what movies people think are so good they'd actually want to watch them the last day they had to live. I love movies and am always curious to see another good one.

Spitfire said:
After 60 something posts and six days here?

And your point is ... ? How long I've been a member and how many posts I've made is immaterial. I called it like I saw it: Established members being snotty to a new member.

Spitfire said:
Maybe you should get to know some of us - and the tounge in cheek atmosphere some of us like, before you start teaching us all how to behave. Just a kind advice. And welcome by the way.:)

Oh, sugar, I'm all about tongue-in-cheek - check out my signature line. And the majority of my posts. If I thought those responses I objected to in this thread had been truly made tongue-in-cheek, I wouldn't have gotten my back up.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Dame said:
And your point is ... ? How long I've been a member and how many posts I've made is immaterial. I called it like I saw it: Established members being snotty to a new member.

Hate to point this out but...if that's true, then it shouldn't matter that Geoff's new either. Surely Geoff is a big boy and can fight his own battles.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
"Neither would I. There are much more interesting things to do...:D "
was my original answere.
Whats so "snotty" about that?
Besides that - I refuse to take this nonsens any futher.

Avalon

A-List Customer
I'd watch "The Empire Strikes Back", because I adore Star Wars, and it was the first movie I ever saw in the theatre - a fitting end. ;)

ShortClara

One Too Many
The Dame said:
Oh, now if you're gonna go there ... Xanadu trumps that any day. Wouldn't even take a person until halfway through to wish they were dead! :D

The Dame, I don't know if you can be a Lady in Waiting now... Xanadu would be required watching in my Court! Preferably, if you know all the songs and can sing them noisily accompanied by dance!

ShortClara

One Too Many
I'd want to watch "A Room With a View" really, but I'd hope my last day would be spent with my hubby, and in that case I'd choose "The Simpsons Movie". Not because it's the greatest film of all time (way up there though!), but because we would have so darn much fun watching it together.

The Dame

One of the Regulars
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Hate to point this out but...if that's true, then it shouldn't matter that Geoff's new either. Surely Geoff is a big boy and can fight his own battles.

Not exactly ... Spitfire was implying I have no basis on which to make the statements I have because I am so new. My argument is that regardless how new I am, I can call it like I see it - even if doing so means I'm calling a longer-standing member on the carpet. Yes, geoff_icp is a big boy and can certainly fight his own battles, but I thought it was bad form for the established members to answer like they did - I interpreted their responses (whether correctly or incorrectly - that is arguable) as contemptuous and mean spirited. As established members they should be well versed with the etiquette espoused by FL - and it seemed to me they were being the opposite of welcoming. I also detected no hint of playfulness or tongue-in-cheek humor. Like I said before, no one put a gun to their heads and made them post in the thread. If they thought it was so silly (whether implied or explicitly stated) they didn't have to answer such a 'stupid' question if they didn't want to. What purpose did it serve to answer like they did? They are certainly entitled to their honest opinion, they just don't need to be brutally honest about it. To be particularly hair-splitting about it, to answer like they did was, at best, off-topic.

The Dame

One of the Regulars
ShortClara said:
The Dame, I don't know if you can be a Lady in Waiting now... Xanadu would be required watching in my Court! Preferably, if you know all the songs and can sing them noisily accompanied by dance!

:eek: Oh, please don't say I can't be a Lady-in-Waiting because of that!!! Tell you what, mix me up a couple (or three) dirty martinis, and I'll watch it all you want, sing noisily (and off-key) while dancing as if no one's watching. :D Deal?

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Do we actively need two threads about snobbery and people's perceptions of posts?

My last day on earth would ideally be spent doing silly things in an aeroplane, of the sort that preclude enjoying an in-flight movie.

However, if I had to pick the last film I'd ever get to see... That's a real toughie.

I'd probably go for The Princess Bride, even if that does mark me out as a soppy git. Romance, adventure, true love, swordplay, pirates, giants, princesses, monsters, risk, reward and a combination of incredible script, direction and performances. It's a film that never fails to make me smile.

So, hands up who was expecting me to name a war film full of aircraft? lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda