Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Impulse buy -- did I waste half a "C" note?

Ugarte

A-List Customer
Found this hat in an auction this afternoon. I made the amateur's mistake of getting caught up in a last minute bidding war and won it. I bid on it because I need a hat this color, it is my size and it looked attractive, wind trolly and all. The price wasn't bad as near as I can tell -- I know nothing about Champ hats.

31ae_1.JPG

37a6_1.JPG

It's got a little moth damage on the front where the brim meets the crown, but the seller claims it is mostly covered by the band and trolly cord

3ade_1.JPG

We'll see how it looks when I get it.

Opinions?

Mark

carter

I'll Lock Up
Tha's not a bad price for a Champ in good condition. It looks very good. Nice Catch You've done well! Congratulations!

Ugarte

A-List Customer
luvthatlulu said:
That hat is flat out uuuuugleeeee! Send it to me for proper disposal--no charge!

Ah, you bet. I'll see if I can divert the lid before it leaves New Jersey. I hope Charlie isn't upset about it. ;)

Mark

You did just fine, Ugarte. Sure, there are better deals to be had, but 50 bucks for a nice vintage hat ain't bad. Not these days. And that moth damage? Unless you happen upon another old-hat fancier while you're wearing it, you'll be the only one to notice the damage at all. Or so I'd bet.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I'm a fan of Champ hats, so I think you've got a winner! :eusa_clap As others have commented the moth nibbles shouldn't be too noticeable to others.

Congratulations,
Tom

Kilroy

New in Town
Good looking hat. Some careful plucking in and around those moth bites with a straight pin will blend them into the felt. Even a seasoned eye will have a hard time spotting them.
Contact Duane for better instructions.

Ugarte

A-List Customer
I appreciate the reinforcement

I appreciate the expert opinions from you folks.

Tonyb -- I was originally on to this thing for about $30, but a short bidding war broke out in the last 3 minutes. I won it by a hair. And I don't think it was a bad deal, though I have no idea how old this hat is or what it sold for new.

Jimmy the Lid -- Thank you sir!

Deanglen -- I agree that it has great potential. It's a shame I won't have it this weekend so that I can wear it over a black suit to my daughter's Christmas concert. I was looking specifically for a hat this color to wear with my black suits.

Tango Yankee -- I don't think the nibbles are noticable either, but some rehab may be possible. I'll know more when I see it. BTW, what can you tell me about Champ? As near as I can tell from Google, they make baseball caps nowadays?

Kilroy -- That idea had occurred to me. Depending on the extent and placement of the damage I may have to look into it. Now, tell me please, who is Duane?

Gentleman Farmer -- Thank you sir. I'm already trying to find an excuse to wear it.

Deelovely -- As always, thank you ma'am.

Mr. H -- Tanks. :)

L.T. Marcus -- Okay, just so long as it wasn't foolish or anything.

Mark :)

Razzman

One Too Many
That is a fine looking Champ. Looks like a keeper to me. I don't understand how I missed it. Congratulations! A very nice find.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Kilroy

New in Town
Duane is a regular here. He owns the Fedora Store.
Hiding a moth bite is not really complicated. Just start picking at the hole with a straight pin. You'll pull up small strands of felt. Then blend the strands to cover the hole. Try it on a small hole to start with. Or if you have a beater, practice on it.

RBH

Bartender
Very nice hat. :eusa_clap

Kilroy said:
Duane is a regular here. He owns the Fedora Store.
Hiding a moth bite is not really complicated. Just start picking at the hole with a straight pin. You'll pull up small strands of felt. Then blend the strands to cover the hole. Try it on a small hole to start with. Or if you have a beater, practice on it.

Very good advice !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart