Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In The Kitchen!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
For those gals who were interested in more photos of my kitchen, I'm happy to oblige...

kitchen1.jpg

The fridge is a Kelvinator, dated 11-45, and still has the original price tag on the inside of the door (OPA Ceiling Price $189.95 Delivered.) I got it in 1988 for $50, and it's run flawlessly ever since. It'll outlive *me*, I suspect

kitchen3.jpg

The table doesn't show up too well in this shot, but it's a green-and-yellow enamel top from the late thirties. I refinished the chairs in enamel to match.

kitchen4.jpg

The stove is a Hotpoint electric, circa the late '50s, which I got at the same time I got the fridge. I've had to replace the oven burner a couple times, but otherwise it works fine. A great baking oven, especially!

kitchen2.jpg

And, of course, a well-stocked pantry is important!

So that's my kitchen -- I'd love to see what all you gals have done with yours!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I love it!! I'll post pics of mine once I've given it a facelift (actually been planning to make it more "vintagey". I saw a vintage stove at an antique store yesterday for $150... but I think I'd have to tear out some of my cabinets to make it fit...

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
Your kitchen looks great! Is the whole house done in vintage style?

I would love for my kitchen to look like that, so comfortable and homey, not sterile looking like so many modern kitchens that look more like a science lab than a kitchen! :(

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Thanks for the kind words -- I consciously modeled the kitchen after my grandmother's kitchen, which was exactly the kind of warm and homey place where you could just settle in and feel comfortable. I draw the line, though, at having a kerosene stove...

I've got vintage scattered thruout the rest of the house -- console radio and pump organ in the living room, a beat-up old deco vanity in my bedroom, pedestal sink bathroom, etc. But I also have a home office, which has a lot of computer gear which can't be camouflaged. I wish someone would come out with a line of vintagey computers -- wood cabinets, rounded screens, deco-type trim. I'd jump right on that.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Pop in for a pop tart?

Shhhhh! Andykev snuck into the Powder Room:eek: !!

Your pics are great, and I didn't know you could get parts for those vintage appliances. I bet the local utility hates you. Those do use a bit of juice.

My kitchen is original 1950's Youngstown metal cabinets. They are bullet proof, but they suck compared to the stuff going into homes these days in remodels (see Cabinetman's post on his work).

The retro look is great, and I understand you can now buy modern stuff with the early look. Last time I priced a vintage stove (fully restored), it was a whopping $6000 for one like new, that grandma had. I can buy a professional Viking for about 2/3 the price.

Nice, you have a magic touch, Lizzie!

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Your kitchen is wonderful! It made me think of my own belated grandmother's kitchen! I was always able to reach the goodies from the bottom freezer. :D

shamus

Suspended
I saw the word Kitchen and had to stop by.

Love the kitchen! I'd like to see more photos of the fridge. Esp. inside!

I'll have some photos of mine in about a week, it's half way through the new black/white tile floor to go with the "new" stove...

Irena

One of the Regulars
What a wonderful kitchen (uh-oh, now I've got a certain Maxwell House Coffee commercial playing over and over in my head), LizzieMaine! I especially love the shelf above the stove...and the pantry.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Wow! Yours looks very authentic. I am right in the process of doing my kitchen in our new flat. It unfortunately won't have any actual vintage items in it, but it is retro-inspired and will be in a sort of diner-style. I'm hoping to add to it as I go along. I'll post pictures when it's done, but it won't be nearly as good as what I have in my head I'm sure!! :rolleyes:

Rosie

One Too Many
scotrace said:
"Garters" I can resist.
"Kitchen," and I'm clicking! :)

backsplash.JPG

Look at that back splash :eusa_clap

That's a lucky lady that gets to cook in that kitchen.

Lizzie, I noticed you have vintage products in your pantry. Are those for display? The're AWESOME ;)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
That's a gorgeous backsplash -- is it metal or ornamented glass? Either way it's amazing. (I bet it's very difficult to keep clean, too!)

Rosie -- most of those items are vintage labels wrapped around modern containers, but some are actual old-store-stock items. I used to do props for our local theatre group, and accumulated a lot of stuff like this, and having windowed cupboards makes a great way to display!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member

Thanks! :)
It's 2X2 tin ceiling panels. And yes, it's very hard to keep clean. The plan was to allow it to oxidate and look old. The kitchen has black & white tiled floor... it's a French bistro sort of feel (house is around 1920 or so). But the oxidation is already well along over the sink, while the metal is bright everywhere else. So... should have clear-coated it all. :(

Lizzie, I LOVE your kitchen. Do you do holiday meals? I would think such a space would be the place to congregate at Christmas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner