Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is 40 year old box of Montecruz cigars worth anything?

mattface

Practically Family
A guy who regularly brings me clothing items to consign brought me something quite interesting today, but not being a cigar guy I have no idea wether they have any value. It's a box of Dunhill Montecruz cigars which he bought in the 1970s. THe box and cigars all appear to be in excellent condition, but I have no idea if a cigar this old would be desirable or even smokable. Unlike fine wine, I'm thinking fine cigars probably don't age well, but perhaps they do, or perhaps they are worth something to someone as a curiosity. So cigar guys, what say you? Are these worth anything, or should I just give them back?

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Cigars don't keep that long. The oldest I heard of that still had it were Cuban cigars stored at the farm where they were made, they were still good after 20 years, this is the oldest I know of.

There are older cigars but they are collector's items. Yours may be in that category. There are a lot of cigar enthusiasts and collectors these days.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Unless they've been kept in a properly functioning humidor, they are most likely unsmokeable. If I had them, I'd open them, examine them, and if they didn't fall apart in my hands from dryness, I'd try to moisten them up a bit in a humidor, and give one a smoke.

I agree, unless they have been meticulously preserved in a humador at the proper temperature and humidity they are no good. Of course if they were why would he give them to you? If there is any doubt ask a cigar smoker to look at them or better still find a tobacconist and ask them to look at them and tell you what they think.

TomS

One Too Many
Not very much I'm afarid. The cigars will probably crumble like dry leaves.

WarHorse

New in Town
What the heck, I'd give it a try but they are most likely extrememly dried out. Cigars can be rehydrated, but it's a difficult and very slow process of gently raising the humidity levels in a humidor. If the humidity is raised too quickly they can swell and will burst. Then they are absolutely no good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner