Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

It Happened One Night in that suit

mike

Call Me a Cab
Anyone ever wondered what color Clark Gable's suit was in It Happened One Night!?
It's not a trick question and I don't have the answer by the way :p
Just curious if anyone else has put some thought into it and/or found out!?

This colourised poster has it as brown:

poster.jpg

This one has it black:

onenight.jpg

And this book cover has it grey:

blbithappenedonenight.jpg

bk

mike

Call Me a Cab
Baron Kurtz said:
This colourised poster has it as brown:...

So Joseph's Technicolor Dream Coat?! ;)
I was hoping someone might have a color photo, there's a rare film shot of Boris Karloff on the Son of Frankenstein set which is the only place anyone has any documentation of the true color of the Frankenstein Monster (it's not easy being green)

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Considering that Clark Gable has brown hair, it could be brown, grey, silver or blue.

I thought it could be grey on account of it being a belt back. I'd think that might have been a typical color in 1934 for that style.

Edward

Bartender
If you can't be certain, there's a higher risk of getting it "wrong"... but then who is going to know? I'd pick the one you like best. If you have the option, you could always take photos of the colour cloth available to you with a digital camera set to take B&W shots, and see what one looks the nearest to the screen "colour" that way...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou