Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J.C. Penney Marathon -- Ultra Quality

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Ever since learning that the movie hat for Seabiscuit was a J.C. Penney Marathon (owned by our own Art Fawcett), I have kept an eye out for one. This lid is an Ultra Quality Marathon, and, judging by the looks of the liner, including the faded tip protector, this one may go back a ways. The hat is in absolutely pristine condition, and originally sold for $7.90 at Penney's.

The felt is a nice shade of tan, with a beautiful complementary edge binding, which is combined with a blue/green ribbon. The combination is really gorgeous. The ribbon color is hard to photograph -- but the black hat box provides a reference color.

Open crown is 5 1/2", brim width is 2 3/4", and the ribbon is 1 1/2". Felt on the crown is relatively lightweight, with the brim being more substantial. The sweat is very reminiscent of the thinner sweat on my Stetson Vita-Felt.

All in all, I am likin' this one a lot...

JPMOpenCrown.jpg

JPMLiner.jpg

JPMLiner-2.jpg

JPMSticker-1.jpg

JPMSticker-2.jpg

JPMSticker-3.jpg

JPMSweat.jpg

JPM-2.jpg

JPM-3.jpg

JPM-1.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

Last edited:

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
That's a real nice hat,
but I expected a dog.
Incomplete photo.

All comments must now be in haiku form. :)

Ever since learning that the movie hat for Seabiscuit was a J.C. Penney's Marathon (owned by our own Art Fawcett), I have kept an eye out for one. This lid is an Ultra Quality Marathon, and, judging by the looks of the liner, including the faded tip protector, this one may go back a ways. The hat is in absolutely pristine condition, and originally sold for $7.90 at Penney's.

The felt is a nice shade of tan, with a beautiful complimentary edge binding, which is combined with a green/gray ribbon that also contains a hint of blue. The combination is really gorgeous. The ribbon color is hard to photograph -- but the black hat box provides a reference color.

Open crown is 5 1/2", brim width is 2 3/4", and the ribbon is 1 1/2". Felt on the crown is relatively lightweight, with the brim being more substantial. The sweat is very reminiscent of the thinner sweat on my Stetson Vita-Felt.

JPMLiner.jpg

VERY nice Chief! Congrats.
The one I traded with IndyCop is Supreme Quality.
It looks much newer than your Ultra, has the tip protector too but the sweat is not as wide.
My logo on the tip is larger & the stamp on the sweat has Supreme Quality long with the crest.
Same ribbon size & binding but no wind cord on mine. Will get some photos up soon.
Glad to see you posting again.

PS = my bow on the sweat is flat ribbon btw...

That is a wonderful hat. Enjoy it!

I have an old brown Marathon that was someones beater hat. The liner had been removed. It was fairly dirty and faded, I cleaned it up a bit but it's not really worth restoration so I use it at Church as my yard work hat. The felt is soft and easy to shape. I also have a J.C. Penny's Towncraft fedora that is a light tan and similar to an Open Road that needs work on the leather sweat band. Either repair or replace.

Jimmy that is one terrific looking hat. Congrats on that score....

Ever since learning that the movie hat for Seabiscuit was a J.C. Penney Marathon (owned by our own Art Fawcett), I have kept an eye out for one. This lid is an Ultra Quality Marathon, and, judging by the looks of the liner, including the faded tip protector, this one may go back a ways. The hat is in absolutely pristine condition, and originally sold for $7.90 at Penney's.

The felt is a nice shade of tan, with a beautiful complimentary edge binding, which is combined with a green/gray ribbon that also contains a hint of blue. The combination is really gorgeous. The ribbon color is hard to photograph -- but the black hat box provides a reference color.

JPMOpenCrown.jpg

JPMLiner.jpg

JPMLiner-2.jpg

JPMSticker-1.jpg

JPMSticker-2.jpg

JPMSticker-3.jpg

JPMSweat.jpg

JPM-2.jpg

JPM-3.jpg

JPM-1.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

coble

A-List Customer
beautiful hat, i love the light felt with the blue ribbon. Definately compliments each other.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot