Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacket Style - A-2 CWU-45/p

kevinblack

New in Town
Hi,

Noting there is a leaning to A-2s in the forum, I'm just after some thoughts. I'm about to buy a leather jacket. I will chose between A-2 and CWU-45/P styles.

I note that the USAF and RAAF (here) have reintroduced the leather flight jacket A-2 style. I also note that the MA-1 and A-2 were largely superceded by the CWU-45/P style jacket. I have an Alpha CWU-45/P (Nylon) the current issue is Nomex.....

I will use the jacket as essentially day wear and will (occassionally) fly with it. I'm torn between the two. Are there any relative advantages/disadvanges of the two designs? Specifically, why would I pick one style over the other (note I don't really have an interest in historical authenticity per se, I just want the best jacket).

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

kampkatz

Practically Family
A2 or Nylon

If you are strictly seeking the most utilitarian jacket in a situation that could expose it to damage go for the nomex. The leather jacket may be better for those times for relaxing or just looking great in public. I look for as many opportunities to wear my A2 as possible, as long as there is no likely chance that it could be dirtied or torn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany