Just won a McGregor Anti-Freeze - Can it be dated?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by The Good, Jan 17, 2012.

1. The Good

The Good Call Me a Cab

Hi, I just won a McGregor Anti-Freeze jacket, the kind made especially famous by James Dean in Rebel Without a Cause. Mine is dark brown however, not red, which I think would have been vastly more expensive. The seller dates it to the 1950s, but what do you think?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-McG...s_Clothing&hash=item4ab2cac467#ht_5600wt_1334

[​IMG]

How long were these jackets in production, and how long did the company exist? Could my jacket have been made later than the '50s, or is the seller accurate? Thanks!

2. Tomasso

Tomasso Incurably Addicted

The jackets were in production from the 50s through the 60s. The company started in the 20s and ran till the 90s when a fashion group bought the name which is still in use today.

Looking at the limited selection of vintage labels would lead me to guess 60s.

3. fnoprx

fnoprx Familiar Face

I have a similar jacket - and I am also not quite sure about the date.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A very nice jacket - very light and quite warm. Don't know how collectable they are (except for a James Dean red one!), but I really like mine as a daily wearer.

4. The Good

The Good Call Me a Cab

Thank you, both of you. I guess my jacket could be '60s then, that's fine. Anyway, I think a brown McGregor jacket lends itself more to my style (I wear lots of earth tones) than a red colored one would, although I'd certainly wear a red original if I could have found one for a good deal.

Fnoprx, that's a nice jacket, also. Does anybody else own a McGregor anti-freeze and want to post pictures?

5. The Good

The Good Call Me a Cab

It finally arrived:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think it fits fine, but a bit on the short side maybe, unless this was usual for older jackets in this style.

6. Dinerman

Dinerman Super Moderator Bartender

It was.

7. Peacoat

Peacoat Bartender Staff Member Bartender

Is it just me or does the collar on the beige jacket posted by Fnoprx seem to be a bit more pointed than the collar on the brown one posted by The Good?

Many of the reproduction James Dean jackets have problems getting the collars right. I think the brown one is pretty close to the model worn during the movie.

8. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

I wouldn't call that short myself. Folks around here wear their leather jackets shorter than that.