Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kudu leather

samo

One of the Regulars
Been intrigued by Alexander Leathers kudu leather. So far I did not find much input about it so maybe You guys can help me?

Last edited:

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Aero had a shipment of kudo leather some time ago. I believe it's a South African deer and that the leather is harvested from animals in the wild: the leather is therefore noted for its natural markings such as insect bites and other scarring. I'd be interested as well in seeing how those jackets have aged.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Wasn't keen on the slight 'sponginess' in the texture of the stuff I had a look at. Also, the scarring and whatnot was too much for me, to be honest[huh].

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
I have an Aero Pioneer in Kudu.

Pioneer7.jpg
Pioneer5.jpg

It doesn't break in as much as FQHH does, it is more like goat. Very grainy with a fine, pebbly grain. A bit spongy, this is true, softer than HH and feels a tad "waxy". Very comfy though. Wets through much faster than HH.
I believe the stuff AL used is a bit different, I think "Plumbline" has a jacket in Kudu from them. Their's seems less shiney. It has a lot of scars and that, but I like it a lot.

samo

One of the Regulars
Don Tomaso, its one of the finest leather Jackets I have seen. It seems like a goat what I especially appreciate. From schitzo's post it also seems to be very thick and also heavy. The scars does not bother me also, its just a sign that it is a full grain leather what can not be bad.

Last edited:

jback

Familiar Face
I have a slightly modified 30s half belt from Aero in kudu. This one is made up of a bit odd pieces and is quite heavily scarred. Aero called it battle scarred! :D:D

It is soft and sort of spongy, but very comfortable.

Jonathan

samo

One of the Regulars
Thanks for sharing jback. The jacket is quite similar to Don Tomaso ones, Recently, I got the sample of Kudu leather from AL. It is completely different as presented Aeros. It is supple, very thick (2mm - 5 oz.) and not as heavy as steerhide of the same thickness. Nevertheless, such jacket in my 48 size would push the scale over 4 kg, what is on the other hand not a problem for me.

Plumbline

One Too Many
I don't have one but Schitzo did have a AL Dakota in Kudu. I had samples of it and it was similar to AL's Oilpull Steer with a Matt finish and quite a tough appearance. When I bought my custom Indiana last year it was between Kudu and the Mongolian HH .... The Mongolian won but there wasn't much in it.

Like the Aero it's thick and scarred .. But full of character, softer than FQHH or CXL steer and would make a great " jean jacket" or M/C jacket ( it's really quite tough leather but soft)

samo

One of the Regulars
Yes both jackets are really nice. From the jback pics it seems that is very supple even-though it is a new. I am interested about the AL Roadster kudu jacket as I wish something different. Get kinda bored of the usual brown, black or cordovan choices.
Still have to find out what is with the side straps buckling. My AL goat and steer can be buckled twice so straps are turned back as I like. The goat can be buckled under the roller side, while the thicker steer only under the other, well non-roller side of the buckle. I guess that such thick leather straps can not be buckled (on AL buckles) twice, so straps would fluffing in the front side touching my sleeves and in the long term get some weird shape? Huh, hopefully that sound logical?

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I have a slightly modified 30s half belt from Aero in kudu. This one is made up of a bit odd pieces and is quite heavily scarred. Aero called it battle scarred! :D:D

It is soft and sort of spongy, but very comfortable.

Jonathan

Yeah, that's nice!

samo

One of the Regulars

Thanks for the links Plumbline. I got some sample of light brown kudu. It is interesting that according to AL, they in fact stock also kudu in darker brown what should correspond to the jacket from the first of Your links.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21