Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Jacket refurbishment in the SF/Bay Area recommendation?

knowledgeandstyle

New in Town
Anybody have any recommendations? I foolishly steamed my jacket sleeve to try to get out a crease, and the sleeve is now much stiffer and dryer.

I took the jacket to Johnson Leather to alter the jacket and also hopefully fix the mess I got it in with the steamer.
The alteration was perfect, but the guy just quickly added some black cream onto the sleeve before he gave it to me. When I asked him what it was he said it was "cream" peered closely at the jar and then said "negro"...like he had no idea and was just reading the label. I don't know if it was the language barrier or what (his English was frustratingly poor), but it looked suspiciously like my jar of Meltonian black shoe cream. Regardless the sleeve is still stiff and dry. I tried conditioning with Pecard just now, but it doesn't seem to be doing much, and I'm wondering if the black cream he added might have interfered with the sleeve's absorption of the Pecard.

Azog

Familiar Face
I've steamed jackets before but haven't had that bad result. Maybe try kneading and folding/rolling it with the pecards on. Also wear it while doing arm bends. Pecards can take a few days to fully work. The safest thing might be leave pecards on for a few days and then knead it.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
These seem like good questions to ask of Johnson Leathers. Maybe you need to talk to a different
person on the staff? Ask for Alan. I don't know of a better place in the SF Bay Area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21