1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

Leather jackets for winter.

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Imuricecreamman, May 20, 2019.

1. Imuricecreamman

Imuricecreamman One of the Regulars

Hm...Maybe that is a concious design element then to keep your hands dry in the rain.

2. Imuricecreamman

The Blizzard looks like a really nice design. Getting rid of the double breast must also remove a bit of bulk I guess. Yours seem like a nice allround length, around what I see in my head.

You got a Devold sweater? Cool, my father in law used to work at their factory outside Aalesund when they still made their sweaters in Norway.

torfjord likes this.
  3. zebedee

zebedee Practically Family

In the past, I found that going to a charity shop and getting an old, thick, shearling-lined coat for between 24-40 quid was quite easy. That solved all problems. If you do go the Aero route, make sure you get something you can layer under and that will easily accommodate a scarf/hoodie, etc. The Stockman (black fqhh) seemed to be so water resistant as to be essentially waterproof for hours on end.

Imuricecreamman and Monitor like this.
  4. Monitor

Monitor I'll Lock Up

Yeah, they're dime a dozen in the UK and some are really brilliant. The B-3 that I had was such a nice jacket and I paid 30 GBP for it. There are still so many floating around, UK eBay is full of these jackets. I honestly don't believe the pricey alternatives are really that much better. Definitely not 700 + quid better.

Imuricecreamman likes this.
  5. torfjord

torfjord A-List Customer

Yeah, thickest and warmest sweater I’ve ever owned. Makes my Aero submariner feel lightweight. Didn’t know they weren’t still made in Norway, what a shame they moved production.

The Blizzard is the jacket that I’ve had the most compliments on out of all my jackets.

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk

6. Imuricecreamman

They still make a great product, but it's made in Lithuania these days. I have some great vintage sweaters from them as well.

7. Edward

Edward Bartender

If you want something with pockets and not a bum-freezer, the two I'd be looking at are the Aero Hudson and the Aero Barnstormer. The latter looks to my eye like a cut that would be the better option of the two if you wanted to wear it as an overcoat, over the top of a suit. Either blanker or shearling lined, depending on just how much warmth you want in the coat. Personally, I prefer the shape of the collar on the regular Barnstormer over the shawl collar on the production-model shearling lined version; I'm in two minds about the lining (blanket or shearling), but I'm really keen on one in brown with a long-pile mouton collar (think: Manfred von Richthoffen) and as long in the body (as close to knee length) as possible, for wearing over a suit / sports jacket.

The Hudson is very cool indeed, though I'm seeing it as more a casual jacket, with knitwear - maybe a fairisle v-neck and a tie, rather than a suit or blazer.