Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Likening Today's Stars to the Golden Era's

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Some of the comparisons were decent, others made no sense at all. Freeman as Stewart? I don't see it. Jolee as Bacall? Not that one either. I do sort of see Kevin Spacey as an Orson Welles "The Third Man" sort of character though.

Feraud

Bartender
Good article but you could never really replace the likes of Mitchum, Bogart, Cagney, etc..
There are other actors that could have been mentioned who fit into the mold.
Benicio Del Toro and Guy Pearce are two who come to mind.

SappySwami

Familiar Face
Actually, I hadn't thought of it before, but I can see the comparison between Morgan Freeman and Jimmy Stewart. But Tom Cruise as the new Redford? Not so much...

Michael Mallory

One of the Regulars
IMO, most of those comparisons are ludicrous. The reason we venerate Bogart as opposed to, say, Sonny Tufts, is because Bogart was unique, original, and unique original actors don't have contemporary replicants. Ideally, today's movie stars should be unique and original in their own rights, but... Does anyone really want to see a remake of "The Big Sleep" with Bruce Willis and Angelina Jolie? I don't (though I wouldn't mind a remake of "Double Indemnity" with Jolie, Tom Hanks and William H. Macy in the Barbara Stanwyck, Fred MacMurray and Edward G. Robinson parts -- providing they used the original script). Having said all that, though, the only actor out there (again, IMO) who has any of the qualities of Bogart is Wesley Snipes, who manages to project the same kind of simultaneous danger and humor as did Bogie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy