Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Linings

roadking04

Practically Family
Hi everyone, just collecting thoughts and comment about linings. I am looking for one that is durable, warm, and easy to wear. Trying to get an idea of the different linings to chose from. Any info will be very helpful.

JLStorm

Practically Family
roadking04 said:
Hi everyone, just collecting thoughts and comment about linings. I am looking for one that is durable, warm, and easy to wear. Trying to get an idea of the different linings to chose from. Any info will be very helpful.

Which manufacturer?

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
For moto jackets I prefer a thin lining like rayon or cotton. This makes the jacket versatile as a warm weather or cool weather jacket by virtue of just adding/subtracting underlayers. 90+% of my riding is done in 60+ degree weather anyway so it makes sense to me to go with a thin lining.

Now, if you can afford closetfuls of jackets, and perhaps you can, then it certainly does make sense to have dedicated cold weather gear. Actually, I have jackets that just about bracket into 10 degree increments from 40 to 100 degrees.lol Still, I prefer a thin lining.

JLStorm

Practically Family
roadking04 said:
I am ordering a motorcycle jacket from Aero.

Well you can get, cotton drill, a really nice nylon, about 100 different styles of wool patterns, alpaca, sheepskin, corduroy, or a quilted lining. I think thats everything. You would be best served by letting the people here know the temperature range you are thinking about and what your primary requirement is, whether it be warmth, durability, softnes, are you allergic to anything, does wool make you itch, etc, etc..

roadking04

Practically Family
Really sorry for the lack of information on my part. I will be wearing my jacket in cold weather (35-65 degrees) so warmth is very important. I didn't know they offered a quilted lining. Is the quilted lining warmer than the alpaca? Secondly, I want the jacket to be easy to take on and off. I would like something slippery so to speak. Was wondering if the wool linings are "slippery " or not.

JLStorm

Practically Family
roadking04 said:
Really sorry for the lack of information on my part. I will be wearing my jacket in cold weather (35-65 degrees) so warmth is very important. I didn't know they offered a quilted lining. Is the quilted lining warmer than the alpaca? Secondly, I want the jacket to be easy to take on and off. I would like something slippery so to speak. Was wondering if the wool linings are "slippery " or not.

I had the alpaca under cotton lining in one of my jackets that I had planned to wear in temperatures similar to your and I am having it religned with sheepskin. I still want proof that there was really alpaca under there lol, Im sure Will put it there , but I was not all that impressed.

I have never used the quilted lining, but I know they offer it, they will send you a sample Im sure.

The alpaca isnt all that tough, the wool is not slippery. The nylon is slippery and beautiful, but not their preferred lining in a heavy jacket, as it is not the most durable stuff in the world either. For what you want, I think that the quilted lining may be your best bet. Another option is to use one lining in the body and the nylon lining in the sleeves, to help them slip on and off, but that wont really add any warmth.

I think their blue corduroy lining is beautiful and it is warm, but Im not sure about its durability.

I have personally only ever used the Alpaca, Sheepskin, cotton drill. Im not a fan of wool, but many hear are and can provide their input.

roadking04

Practically Family
Thank you very much for the detailed reply, it is very helpful. I was leaning towards the alpaca with a cotton drill over that. Your opinion might steer me in another direction. Kinda wondering how warm the quilted lining is.

JLStorm

Practically Family
roadking04 said:
Thank you very much for the detailed reply, it is very helpful. I was leaning towards the alpaca with a cotton drill over that. Your opinion might steer me in another direction. Kinda wondering how warm the quilted lining is.

I was told that it was very warm. It might be too warm for what you want. I guess it depends if you are going to be taking wind chill into account on a bike.

Also are you getting steer, FQHH, or goat? The weight of the steer makes them wearing of using certain less durable linings. The thing that you have to remember when talking to the folks are Aero is that their view of durability may be different from yours. They are looking at around 20 years down the line from the impressions Ive gotten.

If your not taking wind chill into account and you tend to layer, I really like the idea of using nylon in the arms and lining for warmth like the quilting in the body. If windchill is an issue, then I think the lining would probably be appropriate for all the temperatures you mentioned.

quilted lining is under the shearling as shown below:
ShearlingLinedHighwayman-large.jpg

corduroy:
266427295.jpg

Nylon:
69328137.jpg

206206390.jpg

roadking04

Practically Family
Wow Storm, that's a lot of info and the pics are great!!! I am going with fqhh and the jacket will be used as a riding jacket, so wind chill is a major factor. I really thought the alpaca was the best way to go. I didn't know they had that many options. I am really gonna have to check into the quilted lining if that is their warmest option. Looks like it would be easy to take on and off also. I'm guessing it should wear pretty good also.

I agree with caveman.
I live in eastcentral Indiana and ride from early spring until late fall. A rayon type lining offers a more versatile approach for even summer wear(damp cooler summer nights)without being sweltering at the wateringhole. In colder weather..I slip on an insulated vest along with gloves that I keep in my saddlebags..and perhaps a thermal longsleeve top.
However..I once had an Aero MC jacket with only the hvy cotton drill lining...and always felt chilled with just wearing the jacket alone. Don't know why...perhaps because of the weave of the drill..but I sold that jacket on mainly because it just didn't seem warm at all on the bike.
Jansolo has several Aero jackets with a gaberdine lining that differs from cotton drill. He seems to favor that as a good all-around lining. Not sure how warm it is,tho.
For me...buying a high quality leather MC jacket means I want to be able to wear it even if the weather is just cool...and then layer when it gets below 50 or so. If I'm going to ride in 35 degree weather(which would be very rare) I'd rather layer up.
HD

JLStorm

Practically Family
Hoosier, possibly because the nylon doesnt breath as well as the cotton? Im not a fan of their cotton drill either, it felt like it conducts cold from the leather through to your skin.

As far as the nylon will be ok with the FQHH. I have an extra heavy steer jacket made and was interested in the nylon and they didnt want to do it, as the leather was so heavy they thought it was too much strain. Aero has done a number of things against their better judgement for me, but they felt strongly enough about this to pretty much say "no".

CC-1

Familiar Face
slippery lining

Rayon yes, Nylon No. Nylon melts. You wouldn't want to put your jacket down on some hot spot accidentally and blow out your lining!

JLStorm

Practically Family
CC-1 said:
Rayon yes, Nylon No. Nylon melts. You wouldn't want to put your jacket down on some hot spot accidentally and blow out your lining!

It might be rayon. I always have called it nylon, but I know a number of people have it in their Aeros on the forum, Im sure they would know.

Aether

One of the Regulars
It's my first post, so Hello everyone.

Roadking, I had a Aero King of the Road that I used on the bike throughout the year.
The cotton drill in the arms offers virtually no insulation in the cold, and as JLStorm says it even seems to transmit it somewhat. The worsted wool in the body however did seem to take the edge off, and it was comfortable down to about 50 with a t-shirt, but anything below that and you'd need to stick on a warmer layer.
One point I think is worth mentioning is that the FQHH is a great windstopper but it can stiffen up quite a bit in freezing weather.

Peacoat

Bartender
I agree with HD and CCM. I have yet to find a jacket with a lining that will keep me warm on the motor without layering, and that includes shearling. As my wife says, I am easily chilled and need to layer under the jacket. When it is below 55, I don't even bother with layers; I just put on the electric vest under the jacket and enjoy the ride. When below 40, and I really have to ride, I use an electric jacket under the leather jacket. As I have grown older and wiser over the years, I seldom go on a ride when it is under 45.

And welcome to the Forum, Aether.

JLStorm

Practically Family
You could always consider a shearling body and insulation in the arms of something else. I like shearling because it if I end up sweating, I dont get cold later, it doesnt smell, and if Im wet, it dries quick.Plus its like down. When Im movine a lot, it allows air to move so I stay warm but down sweat. When Im standing still it traps air and keeps me warm.

Of course a vest like others have mentioned does allow for a much broader range of temperatures that the jacket can be used in.

roadking04

Practically Family
I wanna thank everyone for all the great help. Welcome to the lounge Aether, and thanks for the input. I was leaning towards the alpaca because I figured it would be the warmest choice. I am curious as to how bulky the shearling would be? Do you get the shearling with something over it like a wool or cottton?

acl1

Familiar Face
roadking04 said:
I wanna thank everyone for all the great help. Welcome to the lounge Aether, and thanks for the input. I was leaning towards the alpaca because I figured it would be the warmest choice. I am curious as to how bulky the shearling would be? Do you get the shearling with something over it like a wool or cottton?

You can get multiple thicknesses of shearling. In my experience, the thickness of shearling in B3s are the warmest you can get. For your purposes, the thickness of a shearling in a B6 is probably better (0.25(?)). Shearling from the B3 can take up to 2 inches in the chest. I don't think you get shearling with any other material over it. Hope this is helpful.

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Quilted Lining

Does anyone have any experience with Aero's quilted lining, particularly how warm it is and how well it wears? I am considering it for the sleeves in a FQHH jacket.

Edit: I heard back from Amanda that the quilted lining is no longer available, so my question is moot.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy