Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

London Vintage Shops

maisie

Practically Family
Does anyone know of vintage shops in or around London, i know of a few, like Radio Days near Waterloo, but would also like to know how to get to Blackout 2, i think it is called??
Any help will be great, maybe a list of shops would be good for other people for future use as well!:D

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
A "vintage" shop just opened up right next to where I work, on Great Marlborough Street, which is parallel to Oxford Street. I say "vintage" because the very vast majority of the stuff in there seems to be the kind of retro charity shop stuff that fashion students wear, lots of elasticated waisted dresses, bright knitwear etc. But I did find a lovely 50s beaded cardigan, and some skirts that could be 40s, so if you're in the area it's probably worth checking out. It's called "Beyond Retro" and there's apparently a vast one in Brick Lane too.

Salv

One Too Many
Hope the ladies don't mind me dropping in - Maisie, there was a thread a few weeks ago about vintage shopping in London, and this was my contribution:

Salv said:
There's a fairly comprehensive list here but it doeesn't seem to have been updated for a while.

These are two of my usual stops when vintage hunting -

Radio Days - 87 Lower Marsh, SE1, just behind Waterloo station. Mainly women's wear, but some good British mens suits and overcoats.

Beyond Retro - 110-112 Cheshire Street, E2, in a turning off Brick Lane. There are a few vintage shops along the road, but this is the best. I bought a mint condition, never worn, two-tone gold and green raincoat here for £25, and a '50s Woolrich hunting jacket in a dusty pink and brown check for £20. There's some good denim, a few decent shirts and the occasional gabardine jacket.

Also there are a few vintage shops along Brick Lane - two branches of Rockit and at least one more whose name escapes me.

And a good call by Lauren for Portbello Road - go on Saturday and wander around the stalls under the Westway at Portobello Green.

There are several shops in Covent Garden in the streets around Long Acre that aren't on that list I linked to at the top. I can't remember the names or exact locations but they're clustered in the area bordered by Long Acre, Sheldon Street, Mercer Street and Bow Street. See this map.

Blackout 2 is along Endell Street - turn left out of the exit from Covent Garden tube then right into Long Acre. At the mini roundabout turn left into Endell Street and it's on the left, about 200 yards along the street, after the fish and chip shop.

Salv

One Too Many
Fleur De Guerre said:
A "vintage" shop just opened up right next to where I work, on Great Marlborough Street, which is parallel to Oxford Street. I say "vintage" because the very vast majority of the stuff in there seems to be the kind of retro charity shop stuff that fashion students wear, lots of elasticated waisted dresses, bright knitwear etc. But I did find a lovely 50s beaded cardigan, and some skirts that could be 40s, so if you're in the area it's probably worth checking out. It's called "Beyond Retro" and there's apparently a vast one in Brick Lane too.

Fleur - my daughter loves Beyond Retro off Brick Lane - I didn't realise there was one in the West End. We'll be up there on Wednesday so I'll make sure we wander that way and I'll surprise her. In fact we were in that area on Saturday evening, having been to Portobello Road that afternoon, which is another place she loves. Fortunately she has inherited her parents' love for vintage clothes <...wipes away a tear of pride...>

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
So funny, I had a dream last night that I went into the new Beyond Retro and found all sorts of good stuff! I daren't go in today though, with a week until payday! It will be a nice surprise for your daughter! It was a nice surprise for me too, when it opened last week. I hope that with regular visits it'll turn up more good finds!

It's just on the corner of Poland Street and Great Marlborough. I must go visit the big one now! :D

Salv

One Too Many
Fleur De Guerre said:
So funny, I had a dream last night that I went into the new Beyond Retro and found all sorts of good stuff! I daren't go in today though, with a week until payday! It will be a nice surprise for your daughter! It was a nice surprise for me too, when it opened last week. I hope that with regular visits it'll turn up more good finds!

It's just on the corner of Poland Street and Great Marlborough. I must go visit the big one now! :D

Thanks, I know where you mean - we sometimes go to Bodean's, the barbecue restaurant, in Poland Street.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass