Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Longshoreman

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
Does anyone have an Aero Longshoreman ? What are your opinions of the jacket ? Hard to tell from aeros website pics what the jacket would look like 'on' - so if anyone has photos . . . . . . . . . . :)
I have a long half belt ( size 40 ) in Aeros standard brown colour which I have decided to change for a shorter waist length jacket, its little used and needs plenty more breaking in - I'm attracted to the longshoreman I think and if anyone has one ( size 40 ) which they'd care to trade . . . . . .?

Cheers

Colin

Older Longshoreman. I like it. Hvy FGHH lined with shearling...but not sweltering hot like a B3 or Irvin can be...but comfy in cold weather.
Size 40 reg

100_0439.jpg

100_0415.jpg

100_0416.jpg

HD

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
Very Nice

HoosierDaddy said:
Older Longshoreman. I like it. Hvy FGHH lined with shearling...but not sweltering hot like a B3 or Irvin can be...but comfy in cold weather.
Size 40 reg

100_0439.jpg

100_0415.jpg

100_0416.jpg

HD

Thanks for posting those pics - its a very nice looking jacket - it makes such a difference if you can actually see what these jackets look like 'in the flesh' so to speak, the pics on sites such as Aeros really give little idea. Many thanks ! I'm even more attracted to it now !!

Colin

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
benhous20 said:
i have a longshore man im thinking of swaping for one in longer lenght. my coat is black and size 40'. im based in birmingham

Hi Benhous20 apologies for delayed reply - I dont get on here every day !
Well, I'm surprised at how quickly I have received a response to my request for a possible trade and even more surprised at how close you are !!!

If you'd care to contact me on the following cell No. we can arrange to view our respective jackets and if we're both in agreement then I'll be happy to make the trade !!

Cheers !

Colin

07749 946 378

fraazierjo

New in Town
Already wrote back about my 50's leather halfback. Forgot to ask why you were so attracted to the jacket. So am I. What exactly is that/ - any idea?

fraazierjo

New in Town
Already wrote back about my 50's leather halfback. Forgot to ask why you were so "attracted to the jacket". So am I. What exactly is that/ - any idea?

fraazierjo

New in Town
Already wrote back about my 50's leather halfback. Forgot to ask why you were so "attracted" to the jacket. So am I. What exactly is that - any ideas? I have all my 50's memories of them. All the toughest guys in my class wore them proudly. How about you?

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
fraazierjo said:
Already wrote back about my 50's leather halfback. Forgot to ask why you were so "attracted" to the jacket. So am I. What exactly is that - any ideas? I have all my 50's memories of them. All the toughest guys in my class wore them proudly. How about you?

Hi Fraazierjo

You must be just a 'lil older than me if you were wearing them in the '50s - I didn't appear until 1953 lol I guess the mid sixties was the point at which I began 'noticing' clothes and who was wearing what. I suppose it was still true then that the leather jacket was a symbol of rebellion or projecting the 'tough guy' image, it was the bikers I suppose who were instantly recognisable as such, with their black leather jackets etc.
As far as I'm aware, the halfbelt style jacket was very much a 30s / 40s style and probably more common in the US than over here in boring tweedy England lol, but I'm no expert so thats just my partly informed assumption.

Why am I so attracted to it ? well I've always liked leather because of its ruggedness and durability and the fact that a jacket can look good with either jeans and a tee shirt or dress pants, shirt and tie !
I bought an Aero A2 a while back and followed that up with my Long Half Belt which i like a lot still but later wished I'd had an ordinary waist length jacket instead - I just switched my affections to the look of the Longshoreman but sadly purchasing a new one is not an option at the moment( the cost of a new one is more than I make in a week :eusa_doh: ) hence my decision to ask if anyone wanted to trade theirs for the same reason I did ! -

benhous20

New in Town
thanks for getting back to me. i will contact you at some point during the week to discuss arrangments for the jackets. Im just puting a coat of sadle soap on it as i speak.
Thanks Ben

fraazierjo

New in Town
longshoreman,

Ben and Colin,

You two guys live close enough foor the "swap". My horsehide half back here in the States is a perfectly preserved relic of the 50's. Someone must have used saddle soap or Lexol on this one to keep the leather looking and feeling this good. I'll post a pic when I can.

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
Well Pleased !

Well, after living with my newly aquired Longshoreman for a while, I'm happy to say that it is exactly what I wanted in a jacket. :) Fits great, very comfortable and it feels like I had it forever !! It still has a 'newness' about it yet also feels wonderfully 'broken in' - I guess thats due in no small part to its previous owner Ben who has obviously taken great care of it and treated it with saddle soap. I'm sure he will produce the same effect with the LHB I traded with him, it still had a considerable amount of breaking in to be done !!
I'll post some pics at some point.

Colin

fraazierjo

New in Town
Longshoreman,

I know what you mean about the shape and feel of that "swapped" leather jacket. (Any pics?) My 1953 "Outerwear" horsehide half back is worn in just right. Someone's been conditioning this real well for a long time. Won't swap this one! Thanks for the pics- I'll send one later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner