Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kliffjumper123

Familiar Face
Hello all,
I'm somewhat new to the whole leather jacket and flight jacket world and subsequently need some help. I currently own a Cooper/US Wings Flying Tigers commemorative jacket in Seal Brown. What I'm looking for is a lighter shade, not necessarily a Russet but more of a ww2 coloration in an A2. Not necessarily too light but something like the pictures below. At the moment cost is a factor (I'm a high school student), so I'm primarily looking at something used and relatively cheap (100-250-300 USD range). If you all could point me in the right direction it would really be helpful. (I'm looking for a 36r)

Below are some links from the Cockpit USA website of jackets that I really like, but as I said, are out of my price range. I'd really like to something similar. Also, if anyone is getting rid of any A2s here on this site, I might be interested in buying some.

Thank you

https://www.cockpitusa.com/men/a-2-flight-jackets/40th-anniversary-a-2-flight-jacket

https://www.cockpitusa.com/men/a-2-flight-jackets/40th-anniversary-bottoms-up-a-2-pinup-jacket

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up

kliffjumper123

Familiar Face
These don't look like russet, and may be too dark for you, but they're the least expensive A-2 model I can semi-recommend:

http://onlinemilitaria.com/products/6787-US-A-2-LEATHER-FLIGHT-JACKET-2018-RUN/

http://onlinemilitaria.com/products/5467-US-A-2-Leather-Flight-Jacket/

And by semi-recommend, I mean that I've never seen one of these in person, but I have some other What Price Glory jackets that are excellent repros for the price.

Thank you for your help Doctor Strange, much appreciated.

Brettafett

One Too Many

kliffjumper123

Familiar Face

Big J

Call Me a Cab
You know, if you're a small, medium, or large size (say, anything under 44 inch chest) I reckon you should hunt the Japanese internet for a used Buzz Rickson's A-2.
You could pick up something for 200 USD or less used. And it doesn't really matter with a leather jacket, because it just adds character. And for that kind of money, a used BR is way much better quality in terms of materials, construction and fit than any new jacket you could buy in the same price range.

kliffjumper123

Familiar Face
You know, if you're a small, medium, or large size (say, anything under 44 inch chest) I reckon you should hunt the Japanese internet for a used Buzz Rickson's A-2.
You could pick up something for 200 USD or less used. And it doesn't really matter with a leather jacket, because it just adds character. And for that kind of money, a used BR is way much better quality in terms of materials, construction and fit than any new jacket you could buy in the same price range.

Thanks for your help. My preference for buying another jacket is used, because as you said, it adds character. Plus I may end up outgrowing it so I'd rather not get something new. But thanks for pointing me in that direction.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up

Fadetoblack88

Familiar Face
I have a US authentic in russet HH. Its built to last and a nice accurate shade of brown. You can find them in eBay pretty cheap. Also the early cooper/saddlery A-2s are a nice mid brown and plentiful on eBay. I have an SM Wholesale A-2 arriving today in seal brown. I will post pics of both when I get home from work.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Since you are still in high school, my input would be to wear what you now have and hold off until your growth has more or less stabilized, and then get something really nice then. But not now ...

kliffjumper123

Familiar Face
I have a US authentic in russet HH. Its built to last and a nice accurate shade of brown. You can find them in eBay pretty cheap. Also the early cooper/saddlery A-2s are a nice mid brown and plentiful on eBay. I have an SM Wholesale A-2 arriving today in seal brown. I will post pics of both when I get home from work.
Thank you. Pictures would be much appreciated.

kliffjumper123

Familiar Face
Since you are still in high school, my input would be to wear what you now have and hold off until your growth has more or less stabilized, and then get something really nice then. But not now ...

Thanks for your help. Yeah, I completely agree with that. Right now I'm about 5'8 140 and relatively skinny so my current A2 kind of makes me look like the Michelin Man.

Fadetoblack88

Familiar Face
Here's some pics of the SM Wholesale A-2 in seal steerhide. 20180509_173552.jpg

kliffjumper123

Familiar Face
In regards to searching the Japanese internet, do you know of any websites or shopping sites that I could use? Thus far I've only really found Rakuten and a few others but nothing that has used stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ