Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M.C. Gannon Hat Company

StoryPNW

Practically Family
It’s spitting rain, but I couldn’t wait to start playing with my latest Gannon. 100% beaver Winchester western in black with matching black binding and ribbon. We went with 6 ligne ribbon for both the binding and the crown; that’s wider than “usual,” but I asked for it and Michael agreed it would look good. The brim is 3 1/2 inches and the crown is 6 inches. Well, the block is 6 inches, but as per usual with my Gannon’s the finished hat measures just over 6 1/2 inches. This is how all of my hats on this block have turned out…no complaints. All my other hats measure very close to the height on the re-order tags or that the hatter said, but all my recent Gannons have be considerably taller. Anyone else notice this?

There was a short delay in this hat as Michael didn’t like how the first felt was turning out so he started over with a new hat body. I really appreciate hatters with a perfectionist streak, and just over four months was still a reasonable time.

View attachment 389795

View attachment 389796 View attachment 389797 View attachment 389798 View attachment 389799

I ordered this hat at the same time that I ordered my most recent Northwest western hat. I asked both hatters to make the crowns thin and malleable like the better vintage hats. They both went at it differently. The Northwest feels like a softened modern western. This Gannon feels close to Gannon’s fedoras. The felt has some spring-back, but not as much as Gannon’s western nutria. It shapes very easily, but it will need some steam to get it to hold. Neither Gannon nor Northwest were able to duplicate the western felt I wanted, but this Gannon is fantastic. The Northwest is also great, but very different and more like modern western hats. The felt on the Gannon’s crown is also noticeably thinner; however, the brim is thicker and stiffer as it should be (for me). Northwest offers more styles and options, but for what I’m looking for Gannon is the gold standard. Michael is an absolute master with felt and can get it to do things I’ve not seen with any other hatter. I’m sure I’ll be ordering hats from both Northwest and Gannon in the future and it’s good to know how the hatters differ in how they make hats. Please don’t think that this was in any way meant as a dig on Northwest.

I really want to get a custom but I feel a lot of pressure to get it right. I have been watching Gannon and Northwest's IG accounts and they both have awesome hats.

I
Really...
#GottaGetaGannon

I'm with you!

I really want to get a custom but I feel a lot of pressure to get it right. I have been watching Gannon and Northwest's IG accounts and they both have awesome hats.

I'm with you!

One of the best parts of dealing with great hatters is they won’t let you go far wrong. You can also send them photos of hats similar to what you want and they’ll get you there. I have a whole file of photos of hats I’ve collected of members here on The Lounge that I’ve used to send to hatters.

Rumad

One Too Many
It’s spitting rain, but I couldn’t wait to start playing with my latest Gannon. 100% beaver Winchester western in black with matching black binding and ribbon. We went with 6 ligne ribbon for both the binding and the crown; that’s wider than “usual,” but I asked for it and Michael agreed it would look good. The brim is 3 1/2 inches and the crown is 6 inches. Well, the block is 6 inches, but as per usual with my Gannon’s the finished hat measures just over 6 1/2 inches. This is how all of my hats on this block have turned out…no complaints. All my other hats measure very close to the height on the re-order tags or that the hatter said, but all my recent Gannons have be considerably taller. Anyone else notice this?

There was a short delay in this hat as Michael didn’t like how the first felt was turning out so he started over with a new hat body. I really appreciate hatters with a perfectionist streak, and just over four months was still a reasonable time.

View attachment 389795

View attachment 389796 View attachment 389797 View attachment 389798 View attachment 389799

I ordered this hat at the same time that I ordered my most recent Northwest western hat. I asked both hatters to make the crowns thin and malleable like the better vintage hats. They both went at it differently. The Northwest feels like a softened modern western. This Gannon feels close to Gannon’s fedoras. The felt has some spring-back, but not as much as Gannon’s western nutria. It shapes very easily, but it will need some steam to get it to hold. Neither Gannon nor Northwest were able to duplicate the western felt I wanted, but this Gannon is fantastic. The Northwest is also great, but very different and more like modern western hats. The felt on the Gannon’s crown is also noticeably thinner; however, the brim is thicker and stiffer as it should be (for me). Northwest offers more styles and options, but for what I’m looking for Gannon is the gold standard. Michael is an absolute master with felt and can get it to do things I’ve not seen with any other hatter. I’m sure I’ll be ordering hats from both Northwest and Gannon in the future and it’s good to know how the hatters differ in how they make hats. Please don’t think that this was in any way meant as a dig on Northwest.
Black beauty, Brent

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here

View attachment 389795

Tempting me to get another Gannon.

Out for coffee this morn under my chocolate 100X. 2-3/4 x 6.

IMG_3350.jpg

IMG_3346.jpg

IMG_3340.jpg

Mighty44

One Too Many
Couldn’t be happier with my new Gannon. I wanted an everyday hat that had kind of a 1930s feel—with a shallower flanged brim and straight sides—and Michael absolutely delivered. 5 1/2” open crown and 2 1/2” brim. Beautiful felt and details, it really is like a brand new golden era hat.

David

61BA9FB2-C15A-4501-8505-B3BF2936FB0D.jpeg
1004B0B2-027B-46A3-A111-25EF498A04F1.jpeg
9EF86A90-B8A0-46EE-93DF-50DD66D80950.jpeg
42D0E738-6BE5-4208-80D8-2D6321303B20.jpeg
FD034E16-52D3-40BC-A686-26DE30D58C96.jpeg

Rumad

One Too Many
Couldn’t be happier with my new Gannon. I wanted an everyday hat that had kind of a 1930s feel—with a shallower flanged brim and straight sides—and Michael absolutely delivered. 5 1/2” open crown and 2 1/2” brim. Beautiful felt and details, it really is like a brand new golden era hat.

David

View attachment 393601 View attachment 393602 View attachment 393603 View attachment 393604 View attachment 393605
He really does spectacular work. I love your new fedora. Congratulations, it’s beautiful.

Scooterz

Practically Family

Pellie

One Too Many

David

View attachment 393601 View attachment 393602 View attachment 393603 View attachment 393604 View attachment 393605
Beautiful hat. Enjoy wearing it. I defenitely do enjoy wearing my Gannon. It's one of my best hats i own.

Woodtroll

One Too Many

David

Very nice hat, David. I hope you wear it many years in good health!

srcphoto

New in Town
Good day hat folks, how goes?
So, I received some good news (for me at least) from Michael. A couple people dropped off his waitlist, so my name came up, and he's ready to get to work on a new hat for me.

I've decided on going with a natural beaver this time, to compliment my granite and charcoal. This sort of rounds out the greyish hues, from lighter to darker. Ive opted to do a #52 block, whereas the others were on his #81. Going with a 2.5in raw brim with stitching, as I find that detail adds a touch of class. Im going with Michael's suggestion of a 5 1/4in crown. (my other gannon's were 5 3/8 and 5 5/8 crowns)

The tough part for me now is choice of ribbon. Michael says that the natural felt is super versatile and pretty much any colour ribbon suits it. He sent me a variety of ribbons he thought suitable, some matching, some contrasting. Ive narrowed down my own personal 3 favourites, which my girlfriend also agreed. She's the one who has to look at me, so her opinion matters.
Michael said he has most of the ribbons in a variety of widths, except for his old vintage ribbon. His own personal favourite for a matching ribbon is gravel.

However, I am curious what all you Gannon aficionados like and why, so I'm posting the pictures he sent with the ribbon names, in no particular order.
I'd love to hear people's opinions.
Cheers!

1: Ashen Green 16L
ashen green 16L.jpg

2: Beaver Brown 19L
beaver brown 19L.jpg

3: Blue-Grey 19L
blue grey 19L.jpg

3: Charcoal 19L
charcoal 19L.jpg

4: Commando 19L

commando 19L.jpg

5: Field Brown 19L

field brown 19L.jpg

6: Gravel 19L

gravel 16L.jpg

7: Slate 16L
slate 16L.jpg

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Good day hat folks, how goes?
So, I received some good news (for me at least) from Michael. A couple people dropped off his waitlist, so my name came up, and he's ready to get to work on a new hat for me.

I've decided on going with a natural beaver this time, to compliment my granite and charcoal. This sort of rounds out the greyish hues, from lighter to darker. Ive opted to do a #52 block, whereas the others were on his #81. Going with a 2.5in raw brim with stitching, as I find that detail adds a touch of class. Im going with Michael's suggestion of a 5 1/4in crown. (my other gannon's were 5 3/8 and 5 5/8 crowns)

The tough part for me now is choice of ribbon. Michael says that the natural felt is super versatile and pretty much any colour ribbon suits it. He sent me a variety of ribbons he thought suitable, some matching, some contrasting. Ive narrowed down my own personal 3 favourites, which my girlfriend also agreed. She's the one who has to look at me, so her opinion matters.
Michael said he has most of the ribbons in a variety of widths, except for his old vintage ribbon. His own personal favourite for a matching ribbon is gravel.

However, I am curious what all you Gannon aficionados like and why, so I'm posting the pictures he sent with the ribbon names, in no particular order.
I'd love to hear people's opinions.
Cheers!

1: Ashen Green 16L
View attachment 395948

2: Beaver Brown 19L
View attachment 395949

3: Blue-Grey 19L
View attachment 395950

3: Charcoal 19L
View attachment 395951

View attachment 395952

5: Field Brown 19L

View attachment 395953

6: Gravel 19L

View attachment 395954

7: Slate 16L
View attachment 395955

I think the natural is a terrific hue for the beaver felt.

i-vWL4nRv-M.jpg

i-VqkpKsW-M.jpg

I like the gravel.

I believe that the next natural felt hat I commission will need a charcoal ribbon treatment. The darker ribbon, imo, better work the hat into different attire/jacket combos.

I am anxious to see the completed hat. Cheers, Eric -

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up

David

Gorgous steel gray Gannon. The build characteristics, ribbon and felt work in synchronicity to make a very versatile everyday hat.

Wear it proudly. Cheers, Eric -

I own a couple of Gannon's in natural, one has the Commando color ribbon in 13/16" ( I work in fractions & decimals). Keep in mind colors change depending on the lighting. And anyone's decision should depend on whether they are trying to clone a hat from an era or just be a fashionista.

20180130120349.jpg

IMG_0622.JPG

My other Gannon in natural has a lighter color campaign ribbon & binding but I forget the color name.

IMG_3026.JPG

IMG_4668.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112