Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M442 Jacket Cuffs and Linings

Gibbs

New in Town
I'll knock out the two while I'm here. I'm looking at an M422 purchase and mulling over a few things I don't often (ever?) see done differently on any A-2/G-1-type jackets:

The wool knit cuffs. I've come around to liking the wool knit waist, but what are your thoughts on ditching the wool knit cuffs? I tend to like my cuffs open; I'm not sure if it might end up driving me crazy having them clamped around my wrists. Opinions, pictures... anything you got on the subject would be nice to hear.

The lining. I had my eye on silk, but am told it won't hold up. Will it? It'd be part of a goatskin jacket, if that makes a difference (much of the durability criticism of silk was aimed at horsehide jackets) And how much hotter, if at all, is silk compared to cotton? And what are your thoughts on an off-white lining?

Last edited:

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I assume you mean M422 or M422A not a M442.;) If you want an M422 with out the wristlets do what some of the naval pilots did-remove them. Silk will not hold up well as a lining and I would recommend sticking to the traditional viscose rayon lining.

JanSolo

Practically Family
Hi,

Regarding the lining: Originals came with rayon acetate linings which looks and feels a bit like silk. Although acetate is quite expensive and feels very luxurious and comfortable it is nowhere near as durable as nylon, polycotton or even pure cotton. High end manufacturers tend to copy the original linings in weight, material, weave and colour and therefore obviously duplicate the flaws that rayon has. It is not very abrasion resistant and ultimately it will wear through...especially in the neck area.
Go with cotton or visit a fabric store and buy a good heavy (outerwear grade) nylon and supply it with your spec sheet.
Off-white will look dirty after a relatively short period of time (again, escpecially in the neck area and where the hem meets your favourite pair of denim jeans). Also off-white looks very boring to me...

If you don't like knitted cuffs why don't you replace them with 1930s style halfbelt cuffs with horn buttons?

Doh, no wonder it wouldn't come up in my internet history search bar.Late night posting :eusa_doh:
Thought it was going to get interesting - like my Dad's Olds!
olds442.jpg

Gibbs

New in Town
Perhap you should commission Aero to make you a custom jacket which has all the features you are seeking.:D

A custom jacket seems likely. I like the M422, but I'd rather have an A-2-style collar, so that rules out just about anything short of an ANJ-3, which is close but not exactly what I'm looking for. A couple of interior pockets would be nice, too.

That's a sweet lookin' 442. GM really had its act together with those A-Body cars.

A custom jacket seems likely. I like the M422, but I'd rather have an A-2-style collar, so that rules out just about anything short of an ANJ-3, which is close but not exactly what I'm looking for. A couple of interior pockets would be nice, too.That's a sweet lookin' 442. GM really had its act together with those A-Body cars.
Yep! I have to scan the actual pics of my Dad's. The one above is what he had - custom ordered from the factory. Nothing but an engine under that hood - and a big one! Alas, today, GM is down 41% in sales...Back to M-422's :)

Gibbs

New in Town
Hi,

Regarding the lining: Originals came with rayon acetate linings which looks and feels a bit like silk. Although acetate is quite expensive and feels very luxurious and comfortable it is nowhere near as durable as nylon, polycotton or even pure cotton. High end manufacturers tend to copy the original linings in weight, material, weave and colour and therefore obviously duplicate the flaws that rayon has. It is not very abrasion resistant and ultimately it will wear through...especially in the neck area.
Go with cotton or visit a fabric store and buy a good heavy (outerwear grade) nylon and supply it with your spec sheet.
Off-white will look dirty after a relatively short period of time (again, escpecially in the neck area and where the hem meets your favourite pair of denim jeans). Also off-white looks very boring to me...

If you don't like knitted cuffs why don't you replace them with 1930s style halfbelt cuffs with horn buttons?

I was afraid of that with off-white - showing dirt and crud. Any suggestions on a lining color? Brown seems to be the usual, but I wanted something a bit different. It's not crucial; nobody's going to see the lining but me, and only for a brief moment as I put it on. Maybe spicy mustard yellow or dark red?

As for silk and rayon not being up to wear - how long do you think it would last?

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Since you live in the USA, you might wish to look at Gibson and Barnes's M442-A or Navy G-1. I was also impressed with their AN-J-3 jacket when I visited their factory in San Diego a couple of years ago. If you are looking for something without knits, consider G&B's Expedition (Indy) jacket. I would discourage altering anything on any of those jackets in terms of removing knits. If you want a great jacket with a mouton collar, consider Aero's "1950's Half Belt De-luxe" Fur Collar or "Highwayman" with Fur Collar, both shown on their website. It is my understanding that Aero will make a custom jacket, but the production manager at G&B told me that G&B would not because so many people with their rendition of what they thought they wanted turned out not to be the jacket of their dreams. I bought an Expedition jacket in black goatskin with an over sized nickle zipper that someone ordered but didn't like but fit me like a glove and bought it at 50%.

Gibbs

New in Town
The more I read about silk the less I'm inclined to go for it.

Rayon sounds like more a mixed bag, with some saying it's fine and others saying avoid. Anyone who's got a jacket lined with rayon want to weigh in on how it's worked out for them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot