Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Married Life

Blondie

Practically Family
Anyone seen this movie yet ?
Here is a pic of Rachel McAdams as Kay,
I can't wait to see it !!!!!!!!!
married.jpg

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
A great review of it by Stephen Holder in today's NY Times. He compared it to Hitchcock....

It opened only in NY and LA today.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We're getting this in a couple of weeks -- we're showing the trailer now, and is it just me, or do all the mens' hairstyles look really really out of period? Some are too long in the back, some are too poofy in the front, and some (hello Pierce Brosnan!) look both.

Patricia Clarkson, on the other hand, looks like she stepped off a 1949 pattern envelope.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Just saw this, finally -- we're starting a week's run tonight -- and hey, despite the wishy washy reviews, I really liked it. It treads the fine line between homage and sendup very successfully, without ever coming across as one of these films that's period only on the surface.

It's also rather interesting in that it's a very adult film that gets its adult points across very much in keeping with the style of actual films of the Era -- sex and violence are implied rather than smooshed unsubtly across the screen. Very elegantly done, in fact.

As to the period setting, well, the men's hairstyles still bother me. Chris Cooper, who *does* rather resemble Scotrace in other respects, goes around for much of the first half of the film with hair that would be suitable for a European violin player, not an uptight middle-aged suburban businessman. And the loverboy character who plays a small but key role in the plot has a ridiculously puffy hairstyle that's clearly using fistfuls of gel about thirty years before it was invented.

The only small gaffe I noted other than the hair was a glimpse of a '70s era pictographic road sign while Brosnan and MacAdams were having their drive. It wouldn't have been so obvious if they hadn't gone and shined their headlights on it.

Good film. Lots of fun. Go see it.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
We watched this last night and loved it. The clothes looks great and the sets were even better. Adults acting like adults - what a novelty in today's post-Transformer's movie world. Highly recommend it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart