Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men's belts

Becky

New in Town
So I'm watching the movie 'Shall We Dance' (1937) and during a dance scene ( in the boiler room of the ship) I notice Fred Astaire has his belt bucle done up to the left side; no suspenders either. Was this a common look for guys then or just an attempted fad/style for him ? Just curious. . .

Dagwood

Practically Family
First, may I compliment you on your excellent taste in movies. Shall We Dance is one of my favorites. The Gershwin music is very memorable ("I say potato, you say po-ta-to...").

Astaire hated belts and often wore neckties in the place of a belt. If he wore a belt, he often buckled it over to the side (check out the cover of his autobiography - Steps In Time). Only a man like Astaire could pull off that look. If I tried to do it, men, women, children and small animals would laugh at me.

cooncatbob

Practically Family
British rock guitarist of the 60's used to offset their buckles to the left so as not scratch the backs of their guitars. The Mods took it up as a fashion statement. I remember doing it in the 3rd of 4th grade, 63 or 64. lol
Bob.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Dagwood said:
Astaire hated belts
I've never heard that. I knew that he often eschewed belts for ties but I never heard of him being a belt hater. :eusa_doh: What is your source?

Dagwood

Practically Family
Tomasso said:
I've never heard that. I knew that he often eschewed belts for ties but I never heard of him being a belt hater. :eusa_doh: What is your source?

Good question!! I did find this article on the internet (http://www.brightlightsfilm.com/41/holiday.htm) wherein footnote 10 states: "Astaire hated belts, for some obscure reason, and often wore sashes instead..."

I then pulled down my copy of Fred Astaire Style wherein it notes on page 14: "In the 1930's, suspenders were the accepted way of holding up trousers. But Astaire would have none of it. He opted for self-supporting wastebands or the prep school trick of twisting a scarf of necktie around the waist." Although the book doesn't explicitly state that he "hated" belts, if we look on page 13, it explains: "...as a dancer, his clothes had to be comfortable and well cut. They had to move with him...flinging his arms and legs about to make sure the sleeves didn't bind or the crotch crunch. If you're a dancer, you can't have your body go one way and your suit another."

Admittedly, I don't know if Astaire actually used the word "hate," (his autobiography lacks an index and I don't remember if he discussed belts or not), but from what I read above, belts may have hindered his dance movements (or caused problems with his appearance). Based on this, it is may be reasonable to assume (at least for me) that he disliked belts.

Anyways, thanks for the interesting challenge Tomasso!!

[UPDATE - On the IMDB website (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000001/bio) it states: "Famously wore a necktie around his waist instead of a belt, an affectation he picked up from his friendship with actor Douglas Fairbanks but often mistakenly attributed to Astaire alone."]

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
cooncatbob said:
British rock guitarist of the 60's used to offset their buckles to the left so as not scratch the backs of their guitars. The Mods took it up as a fashion statement. I remember doing it in the 3rd of 4th grade, 63 or 64. lol
Bob.

Yeah, but now it's cool too scratch the heck out of the back of your guitar. A big hole in the paint down to the wood. It's shows that you're a hard workin' axe man.:p

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Now I doubt Mr Astaire was anticipating a rumble, but juvenile delinquent urban myth says belts were worn to the side so they could be pulled off faster to be used as a weapon!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925