Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Designers

volatile

A-List Customer
I'm all too partial to a large portion of Vivienne Westwood's more classic stuff:

d000_12.JPG

2941.jpg

E29T9851jacketf.jpg

and my girlfriend is a sucker for Karen Millen.

Whilst we all love vintage, of course, which of the current crop of contemporary designers float your sartorial boats?

volatile

A-List Customer
CharlesB said:
big fan of topman and H&M's skinny cut vintage style suits.

Indeed! I got a nice grey blazer / trousers combo from H&M. Some of the TopMan stuff is nice, but their ethical standards are too lax for me to shop there currently. It's a shame, 'cause I used to spend a decent amount there.

other than that Tom Ford and the latest Burberry suit lines.

Ooh, Tom Ford's great. Someone posted some pictures of his recent show on here, which featured club collared shirts.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I appreciated Banana Republic, MeXX etc. bringing back the peak lapel jacket at popular prices a few seasons ago. Too bad a. the trousers had to be so low-rise and skinny, and b. the whole look had to be banished in a season or two.

Any name designer they might have been emulating?

CharlesB

Suspended
Fletch said:
I appreciated Banana Republic, MeXX etc. bringing back the peak lapel jacket at popular prices a few seasons ago. Too bad a. the trousers had to be so low-rise and skinny, and b. the whole look had to be banished in a season or two.

Any name designer they might have been emulating?
Ralph Lauren is doing the Peaked look

Edward

Bartender
I tend to really enjoy Westwood - I'd love a Westwood suit if ever I could afford and justify the expense. A world away from the classic look, I'm also a real sucker for Westwood's Seditionaries era bondage wear. unlike dear Viv, though, it's not something I find sexy in and of itself. More a case of "like trousers, like brain" for me (RIP dear Joe Strummer, a tragic loss).

volatile

A-List Customer
Edward said:
I tend to really enjoy Westwood - I'd love a Westwood suit if ever I could afford and justify the expense. A world away from the classic look, I'm also a real sucker for Westwood's Seditionaries era bondage wear. unlike dear Viv, though, it's not something I find sexy in and of itself. More a case of "like trousers, like brain" for me (RIP dear Joe Strummer, a tragic loss).

Oh, I don't think she's necessarily "a world away from vintage" most of the time... some of her wackier stuff is, of course (the alien trousers being particularly odd!), but her tweed suits etc. are pretty damn classic! :)

I just bought the top suit there, the blazer affair, from ebay! My first Westwood piece!

Edward

Bartender
volatile said:
Oh, I don't think she's necessarily "a world away from vintage" most of the time... some of her wackier stuff is, of course (the alien trousers being particularly odd!), but her tweed suits etc. are pretty damn classic! :)

I just bought the top suit there, the blazer affair, from ebay! My first Westwood piece!

I meant the Seditionaries stuff specifically is a "world away", mind you, it's kind of a classic look in and of itself by now. I'm sure you got a great bargain on eBay on that suit..... compared to the new price, anyhow. Seems to me it's more the seditionaries Westwood stuff that fetches the scary prices? On the odd occasion I see a parachute shirt selling, they're looking well into the three figures. Hey, a licensed repro is pushing £150....

I quite fancy some of her diamante skull and cross bones cufflinks, actually. :)

volatile

A-List Customer
Edward said:
I meant the Seditionaries stuff specifically is a "world away", mind you, it's kind of a classic look in and of itself by now. I'm sure you got a great bargain on eBay on that suit..... compared to the new price, anyhow. Seems to me it's more the seditionaries Westwood stuff that fetches the scary prices? On the odd occasion I see a parachute shirt selling, they're looking well into the three figures. Hey, a licensed repro is pushing £150....

I quite fancy some of her diamante skull and cross bones cufflinks, actually. :)

The suits and seperates are often quite knock-down - I got that, an £800+ suit for under £200. But shirts are another story, and usually do go, as you say, for three figures. I don't quite understand that myself...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR