Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MY WIFE'S AKUBRA

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
My wife looked over my shoulder, at my auction site watch list. She immediately said, "I want that one." It was an Akubra, Imperial Quality, pure fur felt, Jackaroo, with a beautiful vent hole pattern. It was also the right size (We can both wear a 57 or 7 1/8.). She had a birthday coming up, so I went for it, and got it for less than my max bid. This was the seller's picture:

P1040257A.jpg

It arrived quickly, and out of the box looked exactly like the auction photos. Then I put it on my head. It had shrunk, more than one entire size. (I don't suppose anyone else has ever had an Akubra do that!) I could have returned it, but I would have been out shipping costs, both ways. I decided to go to work.

I removed the sweatband, and the hatband. Once I soaked the body and put it on the right size wooden block, I discovered this hat has more taper than any I've ever worked on. It took several days of resoaking and reblocking, but I got there. I also had to slit the sweatband at the back seam, since the sweatband had also shrunk. Here it is finished up.

P1040258.jpg

I was rather surprised that Akubra had glued the hatband in place. There is one spot of excess glue, which I haven't been able to remove. It's not obvious from a few feet away, but it's there (and you know how that sort of thing can bother us).

P1040259.jpg

Was it worth all the time and effort? Well, the current crop of Akubra Jackaroos don't have this:

P1040260.jpg

And nothing else, in my collection, has vent holes like that. Besides, my wife still likes it and wants it (even more, since it now fits).

P1040261.jpg

carter

I'll Lock Up
Nice job JT.

You could remove the leather ban and replace it with a grosgrain ribbon or a pugaree. That would cover the glue mark

Congratulations to your wife. She wears it well.
:)

Razzman

One Too Many
Great job J.T. :eusa_clap It's a great looking hat. Your wife looks very distinguished in it. She wears the hat quite well. :eusa_clap

fatwoul

Practically Family
Yes, very good work, JT. However...

...How come when you pose for a picture, there is invariably a painting of some delightful nubile behind you, but when your wife poses, all she gets is a bit of a fountain? Personally I could live without paintings of strapping dudes in the background, but it seems like something of a disparity. lol

tandmark

One of the Regulars
Hiya,

Now *that* is one lovely job! Looks great on your spouse as well.

All in all, the results make me feel a bit braver about doing really major surgery on hats, instead of the cautious touch-up and stretching kinds of things I've done so far.

Two questions I've got, though:

J.T. Marcus said:
Once I soaked the body and put it on the right size wooden block

What did you soak it in? Naphtha, Stoddard solvent, isopropyl alcohol, water?

Where'd you manage to score a wooden block?

Cheers,
Mark

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great job!
And your wife looks beautiful. Now she's gotta join the "what hat are you wearing today?" thread.

And yes, she absolutely needs to pose in front of art with bare-chested men and palm fronds. :)

Vintage Betty

indycop

I'll Lock Up
fatwoul said:

...How come when you pose for a picture, there is invariably a painting of some delightful nubile behind you, but when your wife poses, all she gets is a bit of a fountain? Personally I could live without paintings of strapping dudes in the background, but it seems like something of a disparity. lol
:eek: lol lol lol lol lol :D

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
tandmark said:
Two questions I've got, though:

What did you soak it in? Naphtha, Stoddard solvent, isopropyl alcohol, water?

Where'd you manage to score a wooden block?

I soaked it in water. That's how felt is made, in the first place.

As for the block, I stumbled across two of them, in an antique mall. Both are the right size. One is for an open crown; the other is a diamond crease.

Thanks for asking.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Thank-you for all the encouraging words about my work.
My wife has been wearing hats for years. She does not, however, do computers, and has repeatedly indicated she has no desire to start now.
She does, however, appreciate all the gracious compliments. She has been smiling, all evening.
Her name, by the way is Dee.

Finally, for Fatwoul and Vintage Betty, We aim to please, but this is the best I could do to meet your request. :D

P1040276.jpg

The hat is her absolute favorite (though she has nearly as many as I do). It is a Burlington Coat Factory, black fur felt, made in the Czech Republic. It's about six to eight years old. I think she likes it because, on the right side, it has a pronounced "Jed Clampett" droop. I once offered to fix it for her, but she got a horrified look on her face!

Barb

One of the Regulars
She looks wonderful!

And you are quite the craftsman! This is really an art and I'm very impressed with the restoration type work you've done.

deelovely

Practically Family
fatwoul said:
Haha! I noticed that as well!:D

deelovely

Practically Family
J.T.Marcus said:
Thank-you for all the encouraging words about my work.
My wife has been wearing hats for years. She does not, however, do computers, and has repeatedly indicated she has no desire to start now.
She does, however, appreciate all the gracious compliments. She has been smiling, all evening.
Her name, by the way is Dee.
Finally, for Fatwoul and Vintage Betty, We aim to please, but this is the best I could do to meet your request. :D
P1040276.jpg

The hat is her absolute favorite (though she has nearly as many as I do). It is a Burlington Coat Factory, black fur felt, made in the Czech Republic. It's about six to eight years old. I think she likes it because, on the right side, it has a pronounced "Jed Clampett" droop. I once offered to fix it for her, but she got a horrified look on her face!
Much better background... very nice photo... wonderful job on the hat... and NICE name that your wife has!!;) :D

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
J.T. Your wife looks lovely in her hats. We gals do look great in those hats, don't we?

You certainly did a good job on rejuvenating the Akubra. I was glad to note that she put the green feather back on, that was a pretty feather.

karol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24