1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

Narrowing the sleeves on a Johnson leather m-jean jacket

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Bender, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Bender

Bender New in Town

Gentlemen:

I just took delivery of a beautiful new trucker jacket in black nubuck from Johnson Leather. It’s a fantastic jacket, the quality is second to none. Every measurement fits like a glove, except for the sleeves, which I’d prefer a little trimmer. The cuffs are perfect, it’s the middle portion of the sleeves that I’d like to bring in.

With a leather jacket, is it possible to narrow sleeves that are a bit wide without compromising the overall fit of the garment?

And if so, how easy a job is this? If it’s doable, is it relatively easy, something that a good local leather tailor can handle, thereby saving me some time in terms of shipping and Johnson’s turnaround time?

Or is it sufficiently complex that I should send the jacket back to Johnson and have them do the alteration?

Cheers!

2. Mark Ricketts

Mark Ricketts One of the Regulars

Some local tailors are great, but I have had some muck up a job as simple as hemming trousers. I would not even think about having my Johnson Leather jacket adjusted by anyone except Johnson Leather.

Monitor likes this.
  3. Monitor

Monitor I'll Lock Up

The sleeves can be narrowed, yes. Trimming only a middle portion shouldn't be a (very) difficult job but if you want to narrow entire sleeves, including arm holes, while doable, it's definitely a more complex alteration.

But either way, I wouldn't risk leaving my jacket with anyone else except Johnson Leathers. Not with this kind of alteration and definitely not with the jacket I liked as much.

4. jacketjunkie

jacketjunkie One Too Many

If you are in the US, definitely ship to JL.

ton312 likes this.
  5. Bender

Bender New in Town

Thanks for the replies... I’ll send it to Johnson. Cheers!

6. Colin G

Colin G Practically Family

Show us a pic of the jacket.

7. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

Alan did this for me and it was perfect!