Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

need advice on coat

bobmarco

New in Town
hello all.

need comments and suggestions:)

i am thinking of purchasing a leather coat for the winter time.
the kind of coat i am thinking of getting is the one that has a large fur or shearling collar.

has anyone had any experience with these kinds of collars?
if so, how are they in the rain or snow?

thanks a lot!

bobmarco

WolfeMan

One of the Regulars
When you say a fur or shearling collar, do you mean just the collar, like in a G-1, or something more like a B-3, with shearling in all parts of the jacket?
G-1
G1LeatherJacketBrown2.jpg

B-3
B-3%20Vintage%20Sheepskin%20Bomber-Vintage%20Brown.jpg

Wolfe

bobmarco

New in Town
WolfeMan said:
When you say a fur or shearling collar, do you mean just the collar, like in a G-1, or something more like a B-3, with shearling in all parts of the jacket?
Wolfe

Hi Wolfe,

just the collar.

too much coffee

Practically Family
Hi bobmarco,

For a winter in Boston, the G-1 as graciously offered up by WolfeMan, would probably be too light. However, the leather is goatskin which is remarkably water resistant to a degree. The other jacket, the B-3 is sheepskin. Wonderfully warm but bulky and probably the last thing one would want to wear when it's raining.

May I make a suggestion to you.............get up on the Aeroleather site and the Aeroleather USA site and have a look around.

No, Aero Leather is not the end all to winter weather jackets, but it's a great place to start!

Good luck and ask away here on the forum........some very knowledgeable "jacket heads" hang around here!

Regards, coffee

WolfeMan

One of the Regulars
Well if its leather you will need to waterproof it, you can buy silicone sprays at a lot of supermarkets that will get the job done and not discolor the jacket. Now about the collar in wet weather, i would imagine if you get one that fastens and stands up, with the fur/shearling on the inside that this might keep it dry, but people with more experience in the matter will have to come forward, ive never worn my jacket that has a shearling collar in the rain, and it dosent snow in Florida.
Good luck
Wolfe

Edited for typo.

westinghouse

One of the Regulars
I have a full shearling coat and it has gotten wet from the rain or snow on several occasions. All I do is shake it off and let dry on a hanger away from the heat. It has held up very well.

bobmarco

New in Town
too much coffee said:
Hi bobmarco,

For a winter in Boston, the G-1 as graciously offered up by WolfeMan, would probably be too light. However, the leather is goatskin which is remarkably water resistant to a degree. The other jacket, the B-3 is sheepskin. Wonderfully warm but bulky and probably the last thing one would want to wear when it's raining.

May I make a suggestion to you.............get up on the Aeroleather site and the Aeroleather USA site and have a look around.

No, Aero Leather is not the end all to winter weather jackets, but it's a great place to start!

Good luck and ask away here on the forum........some very knowledgeable "jacket heads" hang around here!

Regards, coffee

thanks a lot for the suggestions, coffee! i'll go check out aero right now.

bobmarco

New in Town
WolfeMan said:
What sort of price are you looking for? I found this leather B-15 with a removable thinsulate lining, but its a little on the high end at $395. Might be able to dig up a cheaper one, i'll keep looking.
http://sportys.com/WrightBros/produ...omparisonshopping&utm_campaign=MerchantCenter
Wolfe
Edit: US wings has a very similar product for 100 dollars less(as long as the sale lasts). http://www.uswings.com/b-15.asp

hi wolfe!

i'm actually looking for a double breasted coat.

something like the one seen in this thread:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=49025

$395 is a bit too much for me. i'm looking for something between $100-$200

i've seen a couple on ebay and other places, however i haven't found one in my size yet. :confused: my search continues!!!

bobmarco

New in Town
westinghouse said:
I have a full shearling coat and it has gotten wet from the rain or snow on several occasions. All I do is shake it off and let dry on a hanger away from the heat. It has held up very well.

i see.. thanks for the input, westinghouse!

WolfeMan

One of the Regulars
bobmarco said:
hi wolfe!

i'm actually looking for a double breasted coat.

something like the one seen in this thread:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=49025

$395 is a bit too much for me. i'm looking for something between $100-$200

i've seen a couple on ebay and other places, however i haven't found one in my size yet. :confused: my search continues!!!
Ill post anything i find on here, no luck as of yet.
Wolfe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace