Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help with Swedish leather jacket

jack miranda

A-List Customer
I bought this goatskin suede coat at an estate sale yesterday (no, really!).

2589870400104585873S425x425Q85.jpg

2883467760104585873S425x425Q85.jpg

2795528580104585873S425x425Q85.jpg

2249640810104585873S425x425Q85.jpg

2256689320104585873S425x425Q85.jpg

2742254720104585873S425x425Q85.jpg

It is very well made, quite distinctive syle. I could not pass it by. The label reads:
MEA
Militar Ekiperings AB (MEA)
Stockholm

And, the smaller label read:
Garanteras Getskinn

I'd like to find out as much of the history of the jacket and the manufacturer as I can. If any of the European members know something about this coat, please inform me. Thanks.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Hello.
This coat is a very old Swedish style- it dates back to the '20s and probably before. I have seen a few in leather- goat and also, perhaps, reindeer.

This style, with the double breast and standing, rather than full collar
and cinch strap, was often used in industry and the navy and has been known to be called a "Brewer's jacket". I have a Swedish Navy jacket (dated 1939)with the same style but shorter and in black canvas, which is called a Maskinväst(Machinists jacket).

Looking at your jacket, it looks to be a much more modern, civilian version of this "work jacket". The "Guaranteed Goatskin" label looks decidedly 1970s or later. More like A "tradition" garment, for casual dress, given the suede finish.

More, detailed photos of labels, buttons, etc would help in dating it.

MEA AB, is a Stocholm-based military clothing supplier and military tailor, who do also do work for the theater, museums, private work, historic uniforms, etc. I don't know exactly how long they've been in business but they're still in business now. The "AB" after the "MEA", stands for aktiebolag, which basically means a limited company.

I have my eye on a 20s, or '30s vintage example right now but the price is big.

From what I can see from your jacket- it looks to be a civilian version of the traditional military/work style jacket.

More photos will help.

B
T

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
You're welcome.
It may be '70s (it may not be, too)but it's pretty much the same as the '20s
(probably earlier, too) examples, apart from being suede.
It has the same detailing, pocket flaps, cinch belt, even the reinforcing
strips behind the buttons.

*There is a thread from a few years back with an excellent vintage example of this type of jacket and a brief journey of discovery. It is where I first saw this style but now that I'm in Sweden, I've seen quite a few...

Here's the thread, you must have a look:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=18851&highlight=jacket

B
T

Ed

Familiar Face
BellyTank said:
Just to add- the style, with the small lapels and tiny collar is quite abundant
in German/Austrian traditional garb of Trachten and beyond.
The collar style allows this double breasted jacket/coat to be worn open, or closed collared.

B
T

It also looks like it can be buttoned both right over left and
left over right. In the illustration it looks like it's buttoned
the way a woman's coat buttons, no?

jack miranda

A-List Customer
I buttoned it right over left because the left side

has all its buttons; the right side is missing the top button. I wanted to present the complete picture of the jacket fully buttoned, hence...

BT, I followed the thread you indicated, and, yes, that is a very similar jacket. I'm not usually a big fan of suede, but, I could not resist this one. It fits just right, and feels solid on me. I don't know if its a keeper, though. If someone falls in love with this, PM me and we can talk about it. I wear a size 42, with 19 1/4" shoulders, 25" sleeves. You can use the pics to figure out if its a match to you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav