Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need suggestions for a Tall size Pea Coat

miles_archer

Familiar Face
Hey all...I am looking for a Pea Coat in a long or tall size. I found one I liked from L.L.Bean but it is sold out for a long time. I also found a couple I like from Brooks Brothers and J Peterman but they are not available in Tall sizes. I suppose I could order one of them and have the sleeves lengthened but I was hoping the outerwear mavens in Fedoratown would have some better ideas. Thanks in advance.

Peacoat

Bartender
Obviously I am partial to issue Navy peacoats prior to 1980. The fit is so much better, the quality is better and they have history. I do, however, realize some really big guys have problems finding the larger sizes in vintage.

If you can wear a 44 long, there are currently two of them available at the site listed below. I don't think either is pre 1980, but the fit is so much better (slimmer) than the civilian models, even post 1980. If you wear a 46L or 48L, these are much more difficult to find. Occasionally they show up on Ebay, but they are rare.

I would stay away from buying a coat with the idea that the sleeves can be lengthened. Sometimes that works, but often there just isn't enough fabric.

http://www.vintagetrends.com/milita...tage&CA=Men&SC=Jackets/Coats&ST=Navy+Pea+Coat

s_crumb

Familiar Face
I bought a tall sized pea coat a while ago. It's a J. Crew off of Ebay. Finally got cold enough to wear it the other day. Nice coat.

miles_archer

Familiar Face
Eastman buttons?

Thanks for the help I looked at all your suggestions. I did end up going with an LL Bean coat (they pulled some from their retail stores) because of the tall issue, price and the fact that it wasn't too heavy. The only problem is the buttons are pretty boring. Does anyone know where to find anchor buttons with the 13 stars like the Eastman (pre-war) pea coats?

Peacoat

Bartender
I would say that ". . .the buttons are pretty boring." is an understatement!

If you are looking for the old bakelite buttons as pictured below, they are hard to find. Occasionally some will show up on Ebay, but they are rare. If they are the same ones used by Eastman, evidently there is a modern supplier somewhere, but I haven't run across them.

Buttonfor1920sPeacoat.jpg

If you wanted something with more color, you could update to the officer/CPO button which has the eagle and 13 stars as pictured below:

15446.jpg

The above button is available as the US Navy button in the link below:

http://www.waterburybutton.com/cart...p?pageStyle=h&ProdSort=0&page=2&idCategory=87

Or you could go with the current issue black plastic button which has been in service since pre WWII. It would be better than what you have now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24