Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

new BK order

Mark

Practically Family
Hi all,

feeling quite pleased with myself, just committed myself to buying a new BK A1. Very exciting stuff. I have not actually emailed Andy details of the order yet thought I would ask any A1 owners out there for tips/ideas as to the finer points/details of the order. I have for some time admired BK's A1 on their web page and am fairly sure that's what i'll go for; seal brown Capeskin, dull orange liner and dark brown knits. Only deviation from the web example will be the buttons, think I fancy something less contrasting than the honey buttons shown, such as coconut (brownish colour I believe).
It will be standard size 36" with adjustments to arms and body. It will likely be trim in fit but hope Andy will err on the + side of normal tolerances allowed (if you get me there). My Aero Highwayman is also a 36" and that's a great fit with room to layer.

Should mention I already have a Waldo Pepper in russet liberty hh and its a great jacket, wonderful leather.

What do you think chaps if anything?

Many thanks

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
A jacket slightly too big will make you smile. :) One that is too small/tight won't. :( Good luck with your endeavor!

Mark

Practically Family
Thank you Dr H, I had thought of you when I posted this thread and have referred often to your posts to get some pointers.
PM me if you want to ask questions - I was involved in the initial work up of the design.

Mark

Practically Family
Wise words indeed Fanch. I am I think on the edge in respect of size, 36"/38". Andy recommended 36" for the Waldo Pepper for a nice trim fit and it is but its strictly a t. shirt/shirt jacket which is fine but for the A1 I would like a little more layering room. But I may find a 38" too big. End of the day I must refer to the expert and go with Andy's advice.
A jacket slightly too big will make you smile. :) One that is too small/tight won't. :( Good luck with your endeavor!

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mark,

Consider the width of the arms. I briefly had a BK Aeronaut and, IMHO, the arms were too wide (I know another TFL member who had the same impression).

Glad you are going with the Capeskin . . . I hear good things about BK's Capeskin. I did not love BK's Liberty HH.

Good luck with your order, and congrats!

Mark

Practically Family
Thanks for that Superfluos, to be honest my Waldo pepper arm widths (top and bottom) are fine, not too big. Perhaps BK have taken note of the concerns raised. Yes the Capeskin looks lovely.
Mark,

Consider the width of the arms. I briefly had a BK Aeronaut and, IMHO, the arms were too wide (I know another TFL member who had the same impression).

Glad you are going with the Capeskin . . . I hear good things about BK's Capeskin. I did not love BK's Liberty HH.

Good luck with your order, and congrats!

bretron

Call Me a Cab
My ears are burning...

The sleeves on my recently aquired Aeronaut A1 tunnel generously from the elbow down to end of cuff. So much so in fact that I was convinced that it was a mistake. For comparison, the outter circumference measures an inch wider on my Aeronaut than the cuffs on every other button cuffed jacket I own including an Aero Dustbowl, NorShor NS1, Filson mackinaw and Levi's Type III. BK assured me that it was just a matter of taste. They offered me the opportunity to modify the sleeves to whatever I wanted, but I've had very mixed emotions about doing so out of anxiety over how the jacket would ultimately be returned to me. And after a series of back and forth emails, I've kind of just come to deal with it...

Craftsmanship, details, and fit are great (sleeve ends aside)- they absolutely nailed the collar IMO. And materials overall seem solid (who can argue against Tartan plaid??). Though tbh I haven't decided whether or not I like the new seal Liberty- it has nowhere near the density or depth of similar mid weight leathers I've handled. I understand it was tanned and finished to exactly replicate WWII A2 leathers (like on a RW or Perry), but I ultimately wish my jacket would have been made in a different hide (namely, the beautiful seal Badilassi steer they used to offer).

So in summary, I'd say I'm satisfied with the jacket. We like each other very much. My next order's likely gonna be a NorShor or GW tho ;)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner