Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New(?) Flight Jacket book from Japan

1stsargent

New in Town
Hello Everyone,
I have been watching this form for awhile and now decided to become a member finally, so here goes my first question. Has anyone seen or may have the book called "Full Gear" by Aota Mituhiro? I found its web site www.Fullgear.net but it looks like he only has a limited publication of the book. Is the book even worth the money or should I stick with what I have.
thanks

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Aota book

I spoke with him about a year ago. This is a project he's been involved in for some years now and has just finished and it looks good (what I've been allowed to see of it). But the book if very expensive and as you say it's a limited run. Plus, it's all in Japanese, although he assures me that it will be brought out in English at some (undetermined) stage. He's kindly left a copy in the NASM (Smithsonian) museum for all to see for free. Just got to get there, that's all!

Plenty of other decent books out there, in English and within most of our pocket ranges.

Have a look in the WW2 Resource Library in our WW2 Room (just at the top of the room as a stickie).

SGB

One of the Regulars
Aota Book

I have the book, so does Grant I think. Yes it is expensive, about $180.00. Is it worth it? The photos are great, the research is good, the overall design is real good (he designed everything himself, including packaging, labels etc), and the tables are in English although all the text is in Japanese. My personal complaint is that the A-2 section is very small as compared to the other jackets and flight gear, only 6 jackets. The majority of the book is about Sheepskin gear, which isn't my area of interest. I would think most people would be more interested in A-2's. But I do like the book, I have all the Japanese flight books and Real McCoys and Buzz Rickson catalogs, so for me it is a necessary part of my library.

SGB

tallyho

One of the Regulars
I personally wouldnt mind the lack of A-2s in the book. I think there are plenty of books already available that thoroughly cover all the A-2 stuff.
a book that shows some of the more esoteric jackets would be very much welcomed! the 200 bones price is not!

SGB

One of the Regulars
tallyho said:
I personally wouldnt mind the lack of A-2s in the book. I think there are plenty of books already available that thoroughly cover all the A-2 stuff.
a book that shows some of the more esoteric jackets would be very much welcomed! the 200 bones price is not!

If your interest is in Sheepskin jackets and flight gear then you will like this book, I just have no interest in them. And if the price is an issue then "Suit Up" is a better choice, better balanced selection, more examples, more info, and a much more affordable price.

SGB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn