Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New from St. Louis

barracudamagoo

New in Town
Hi to everyone, I found my way over here from B&B. Always liked the idea of wearing a hat; but, felt "weird" about it. I've been a lurker here for a while and finally decided to take the plunge. Since it is summer in St. Louis, I'm thinking of starting out with a fedora style straw hat. Seems like it would fit my everyday summer attire, and would be a nice transition into wearing hats. I'm looking for something that is a step-up from the hats I see some of the young guys (16-20 year olds) wearing. No offense, but those look "cheap'ish" (not to be confused with inexpensive). Any recommendations? Anybody been to Levine in downtown? Thanks!

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
barracudamagoo said:
Hi to everyone, I found my way over here from B&B. Always liked the idea of wearing a hat; but, felt "weird" about it. I've been a lurker here for a while and finally decided to take the plunge. Since it is summer in St. Louis, I'm thinking of starting out with a fedora style straw hat. Seems like it would fit my everyday summer attire, and would be a nice transition into wearing hats. I'm looking for something that is a step-up from the hats I see some of the young guys (16-20 year olds) wearing. No offense, but those look "cheap'ish" (not to be confused with inexpensive). Any recommendations? Anybody been to Levine in downtown? Thanks!
Try online, say hats.com, villagehatshop.com or delminicohatter.com. So many online merchants. For a real step up try Panama Bob(forgot website letters) or Panamahatsdirect.com, and look into their less expensive models.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm only 19, and my only hat is this: an Akubra Federation IV

awesomealex.jpg

AfterRainSideShot.jpg

I'm not sure if you've heard of Akubra, but their hats are widely regarded as some of the best modern factory-produced hats with the exception of the $300+ Borsalinos. They are made from rabbit fur and are made in Australia, where protection from the elements is important. They are very, very durable and soft.

Anyway, you're interested in straws. If you're on a budget, I'd go with one of the Bailey straws (just type it in, they're everywhere), or an Akubra Capricorn (color selection--Fawn or Grey).
Here's a link to the Capricorn:
http://hatsdirect.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi?view=69&returncat=Straw+Hats&returnpage=0
Their customer service is excellent and their shipping, for being on the other side of the world, is blazing fast (with EMS Courier shipping, the hat got from Katoomba, Australia to Chattanooga, Tennessee in only four days!!!

The Capricorn is actually made of polypropelene. It looks and feels like straw, but it is tougher and more weather resistant. The Capricorn is also, in shape and dimension, almost identical to one of their fur felt fedoras, called the Stylemaster.

If that's not what you're after, go Bailey. I'm not sure what you're price range is, but this is what I can suggest to you, for starters. Good luck with your search.

dwebber18

One of the Regulars
Definitely email Robert. I'm getting my first 2 real Panamas from him this week and am very excited. He has some really good prices, so why not start out with the real deal.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183