Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Indy Flick Poll

mingoslim

Practically Family
I almost agree with everything said here . . .

Prairie Dog said:
Already saw it. Everyone is working overtime to entertain. There's a real nothing-but-desserts generosity to "Crystal Skull." It's not even remotely embarrassing as a comeback attempt. But every sequel to the nearly perfect "Raiders of the Lost Ark" is damaged in a different way. "Crystal Skull" is no exception. "Temple of Doom" had terrible dialogue and screechy sidekicks. "Last Crusade" had dull villains and a jokey lack of tension. "Crystal Skull" simply has too much of everything -- too many effects, too many characters, too long a middle, too many explanations and too many set pieces stretching too much credulity. Putting it another way: The movie's pretty good, occasionally very good. But I also kind of hope they don't make another one.

A fun film, to be sure, but I agree with almost everything Prairie says . . . except for one thing . . .

I could go for another film. First off, although the film may not be the best of the series (I would rank it third, behind Raider and the Grail, but ahead of Temple), it was still a fine and fun film . . . swashbuckling . . . and pretty fresh for the fourth of a series.

Second, good films that I can watch with my kids and we can equally enjoy are just too rare . . .

The franchise may never make another Raiders . . . but I would like to see one more attempt before they put the series to rest . . . The next one may come close.

Jerekson

One Too Many
No no no...Speilberg and Lucas had been planning a number four for years, as a tributary "return", I guess...and they never had any intentions for any more after that. Hopefully they still have that mindset. A number five would be roadkill.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
flat-top said:
I just heard a rumor (not sure if it's been mentioned on the Lounge yet), that Speilberg directed the first half of the movie, and Lucas the second. Seems about right to me!

That explains why I liked the first half better [huh]

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
WH1 said:
I didn't think it was as bad as Temple of Doom though. Kate Capshaw grates in that one. 2 hours of her screeching and bad acting was enough to make me pull my own heart out.:eek:

Ditto that. Hate Willie's screaming through the whole thing.

Jerekson

One Too Many
Lauren said:
Ditto that. Hate Willie's screaming through the whole thing.

It was more of a joke than anything else. But perhaps it was overdone to the point of downright annoying.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
First of all I want to say that Temple of Doom has always been my favorite Indy flick. I just can't wrap my head around why everyone hates it so much. I just wanted to say that so everyone in here can say I have no taste when I say Crystal Skull is probably my new favorite Indy flick. I've always had a soft spot for Archeology. I even took classes in college. Another thing that's always fascinated me is aliens. Way to combine them into one movie! I loved the cars, the clothes and Shia's greaser get up, way cute! The special effects were awesome extra props for the mushroom cloud. I appreciated the age cracks. It was nice to see Indy and Marion back in action with a little baggage in tow. ;) I don't get all the negative hype surrounding this flick. [huh]

DeeDub

One of the Regulars
I saw it and I enjoyed it.

Sometimes I want to see complex characters and watch their relationships develop. Sometimes I want to be surprised by plot twists and unexpected endings. And sometimes I just want to have fun. This movie was non-stop fun.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Jerekson said:
No no no...Speilberg and Lucas had been planning a number four for years, as a tributary "return", I guess...and they never had any intentions for any more after that. Hopefully they still have that mindset. A number five would be roadkill.

I've always read he has always had five IJ films planned. I'll see if I can find the references.

Edward

Bartender
Pink Dahlia said:

Yeah, but what's the question? ;)

As someone who really enjoyed Crystal Skull (saw it au le weekend), I am now beginning to understand how the folks who enjoyed the Star Wars prequels felt while we ex-Star Wars fans bayed for Lucas' blood... lol

I like Temple too - it was the first Indy I saw. Watched it aain on TV the other week, and it holds up. Raiders is clearly the best, but I love them all.

POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT

There are only a couple of things I'd have changed here.... for one, I felt it was enough to see the alien skeletons - I'd have preferred not to see the glimpse we got of the full bodied alien. Also, I'd rather have not actually seen the saucer. Otherwise, I had no problem with it. It would have been nice, maybe, if they had left it a little more obscure as to whether they were aliens or not - think early X-Files - but then that wouldn't have been in the spirit of the source material, so.

I loved the fight scene in the cafe - I laughed like a drain when Mutt gets shoved backwards by the college kid.... straight into the arms of the whole gang of greasers. :) Loved Mutt's Brando look - I really want that hat, I hope this means someone will do an affordable version!

Oh.... I felt in some ways there was a bit more character development here than I'd seen before. I also loved the ending with the gust of wind blowing the hat to Mutt's feet - looked at first like they were gonig for a corny 'torch passing'.... then Indy snatches it back with a look of pure 'hey, I ain't dead yet, kid.' Easily as great an ending to the series as the ride off into the sunset. As to whether they can or should make another one.... I wouldn't rule it out if they had the right story and the right people involved, but I don't think they should do one set after 1959. Seems to me that the 60s is too modern a period to have Jones in.... I think it's a good place to end the films now, and the impression I've always had is that IV was made to be the end. A TV show based around Indy in WW2 would be great - Indy as noir spy.... - but they'd have to find the right actor. Maybe when La Boeuf is a few years older. I do think he was very credible as a Jones boy.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Edward said:
I loved the fight scene in the cafe - I laughed like a drain when Mutt gets shoved backwards by the college kid.... straight into the arms of the whole gang of greasers. :) Loved Mutt's Brando look - I really want that hat, I hope this means someone will do an affordable version!

That was one of my favorite parts. "Get that greaser!"

I loved his look as well. He nailed it (or the costume designers did) but I love the was Shia carried it.

jake431

Practically Family
I will say it was worth seeing in the theatre. All in all, quite enjoyable, and had all the good cliche b-movie things a movie set in the 1950's should have.

I enjoyed it more than ToD. Definitely an enjoyable Indy movie.

-Jake

zaika

One Too Many
Edward said:
There are only a couple of things I'd have changed here.... for one, I felt it was enough to see the alien skeletons - I'd have preferred not to see the glimpse we got of the full bodied alien. Also, I'd rather have not actually seen the saucer. Otherwise, I had no problem with it. It would have been nice, maybe, if they had left it a little more obscure as to whether they were aliens or not - think early X-Files - but then that wouldn't have been in the spirit of the source material, so.

i totally agree with you on this point.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Will go with #4, as I did with all the Indy films. I now own the trilogy.

I expected people would be disappointed, as the hype build-up on this film was incredible. Where could you go but down?

Saw Iron Man during my stay in San Diego. Now, that was a good film!

karol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy