Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Indy Flick Poll

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I haven't seen the film yet, but I keep hearing speculation that between the ending and the high box office receipts, this might not be "it" for the franchise. Maybe the mantle is going to be passed down onto Mutt?

I hate to say it, but I hope not. I just don't feel like anytime after 1957 is appropriate for Indiana Jones. Is he going to switch to a stingy brim in the 1960s? I just don't think it will work and it will end up watering down the films.

Now, I could see casting Shia LeBouf as a young Indiana Jones in some prequels set in the 1920s and early 1930s...

-Dave

Doh!

One Too Many
This might be blasphemy to die hard Harrison Ford fans, but maybe it's time to pull a James Bond and recast. That way, they could go with a younger version of the character (not Shia LeBouf) and set the new movies in the '30s again.

Let's just hope they get a Daniel Craig and NOT a Roger Moore.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
If they keep Harrison Ford, think of the product tie-ins.

Indynewhip.jpg

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Originally posted by Doh!:
This might be blasphemy to die hard Harrison Ford fans, but maybe it's time to pull a James Bond and recast. That way, they could go with a younger version of the character (not Shia LeBouf) and set the new movies in the '30s again.

Heretic! We shall lower you into a fiery volcano! Now where's my Evil Villain headdress?

:D Actually, I think this could work...but not now. Harrison Ford IS Indiana Jones. Give it 20 years, and you can re-cast for the 30s-40s time period. Which would be similar to the gap between Secret of the Incas and Raiders (1950s, 1981).

Because Disco Indy is just wrong.

YARVTON

New in Town
Future Indy

How to handle the 1940's? It's just a gosh-darn Shame that we have that 20-year gap. The War Years are just overripe with dramatic potential and the decade is a production designer's dream. If only one could youthen the star... Indiana Jones and the Picture of Dorian Gray?

Hugh Beaumont

One of the Regulars
Doh! said:

Let's just hope they get a Daniel Craig and NOT a Roger Moore.

I think Clooney would make a great Indiana Jones.

Caution -Spoiler info!

Unlike the Simpsons, when time moves on, things change.

As I thought about the film after seeing it last night with friends, my appreciation grew a bit. There was nearly 20 years since the last film and it would be unfair to try to have Ford be a couple of years older and have some WWII episode, since for Ford that time is past. So it was morre realistic to have it in the 50's as it matches his actual age.

How many of you remember the 50's? Or the 60's for that matter.

I was born in 1957 and have some memories of the 50's as a little guy.
I was in the time line then. A lot of attitudes and concerns from the post war era continued into the early 60's and beyond. I remember a lot of things because I was there and also since my early TV viewing included a lot of reruns, so as I grew, some info that I was too young process got filled in.

As a specific, during the Cuban missle crisis, I don't recall the facts but do recall how tense the adults were. Later during the days following JFK's assasination I recall more and had a little more understading.

By the time I was 8 I had started reading Science Fiction and a lot of books with Weird Stories purported to be based on actual events. From later on I recall more supernatural and psychic events books. later we heard about the psychic experimentation by both our government and that of the Soviets, so that information is a part of the time period.

The influence of a multitude of science fiction films that are tied to the era and watched as often as posible gives me the connection to this Indiana Jones film and how it has a viable archeological tie in.

There is a whole genre of films called "Red Scare" films and many Sci Fi movies of the time are actually offshoots of the Red Scare film. "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" and "Invaders From Mars" have specific items as to personality changes and the redirction of society that speak to the Red Scare issues as a Sci Fi film. Even the original "The Thing" has hints of the Red Scare genre. The popularity of Sci Fi movies in the 50's is a legitamate tie in too, it existed in the time of the film.

I just have mulled it over and my apreciation for the story construction has grown quite a bit. If it avoided these elements would we be complaining about it being the same old thing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy