Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Indy Flick Poll

Hugh Beaumont

One of the Regulars
Spoilers in my thread.

I have been an avid Indy fan since Raiders. I am also a prop geek and have the complete Indy adventure outfit, Grail, Grail Diary, Idol and am working on getting the Grail Tablet.

Raiders is my fav, with Last Crusade running a very close second. TOD was my least fav until KOTCS.

I didn't like it at all. I was so looking forward to this one and it was a huge let down. We all suspend our disbelief for Indy, but the original three made it easy.

Again, they relied to heavily on CGI. It was way to much. At least in the original movies, the effects were organic. Could Indy survive falling from a plane in a life raft? Probably not, but I believed it because it was a real raft falling from the sky.

Plunging over a waterfall might be survivable, but THREE?? I don't think so. Don't get me started on the refrigerator and the Tarzan swing/monkeys.

As a 50's buff, I loved that it was set in that era and I was overjoyed when Indy went inside a correct 50's home. Shia's character was a pleasant surprise. He was what I was dreading since I heard he was attached. He did a great job and I am glad he wasn't a caricature of a greaser. Yes, he was dressed as Brando from THE WILD ONES, but I just saw him as a teen influenced by pop culture of the time.

I also have a gut feeling Spielberg shared directing duties with Lucas. The first half of the movie has Spielberg written all over it. The second half was Lucas. It screamed Star Wars prequels....and I loath the prequels. Acting was terrible. Story and action were rushed. It was a letdown.

I didn't expect this movie to be another Raiders. I was hoping it could sit proudly alongside the other three. Unfortunately for me, it's not the case.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I enjoyed the cafe fight scene also, it reminded me of the USO fight scene in Spielberg's "1941". Which, coincidently, was going to originally have the nazi weapon/coat hanger that was used in "Raiders of the Lost Ark".

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think any time you make a sequel or remake a great movie or stretch a series of stories with the same character(s), you're fighting a losing battle. Part of the audience is going to love that you stayed true to the original character and/or did the story the way that they had already envisioned it in their mind. Another, usually larger part of the audience is going to hate it because it's not what they wanted it to be. Then you have some for whom this is their first foray into the storyline. Perhaps the latter are the best judges...perhaps not. Fans get pretty passionate about what's right, what's wrong, what worked, what didn't and why they feel the way they do. I haven't seen it yet - the friend who wanted to go to a midnight pre-release showing got sick at the last minute and I decided to stay home and hit the sack instead - but I'm keeping an open mind.

Jerekson

One Too Many
Mike in Seattle said:
I've always read he has always had five IJ films planned. I'll see if I can find the references.

Aye, you have it there. From what I can recall they originally signed a contract with Paramount in 1979 or something for five films, but later this was completely scrapped after the high note of LC.

Ideas for KOTCS started much later...sometime around 1999, I think. So this was under a seperate contract, for a single film.

I may be mistaken, but I'll need some proof to convince me that I am...

DavidVillaJr

One of the Regulars
#2 and I wanna' go see it again.

Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Not that anyone is interested in my thoughts really, but I was very glad that Indy didn't "come out of retirement to pull one last job" - instead, he was out doing Indy things before the Russians nabbed him...

Everyone is entitled to LOVE or HATE the movie as they see fit, I really liked it...

Really....

dv

Two Gun Bob

One of the Regulars
Yay Indy!!!

Great fun! I loved every minute of 'Crystal Skull', and despite my trepidation about Indy having his son as a sidekick I thought it worked pretty well. I want a vintage Harley! Cate Blanchett is also red-hot in an ice-cold way :eusa_clap

Loved the 1950s period New England detail - though as an Old England man I'm not sure how accurate this was.

The one thing that terrified me for a few moments was the nuclear test not long after the beginning - I had nightmares about nukes when I was a kid in the 60s, and seeing Indy outlined against a mushroom cloud had my hair standing on end...

I don't want to see a 5th movie as just a sequel to this one - I want to see Indy 3.5, a prequel to 'Crystal Skull' showing what he did during the Second World War when he was serving in the OSS. Ford could certainly pull off being a slightly younger Indy for such a film and it would be a great story!

I'll be going back to see the film again just as soon as my Wested "Raiders" jacket arrives :D

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Liked parts of it. Not others. It was like an orange with seeds, you have the flavor and the annoying parts, too. Kept looking at Indy's fedora and feeling very happy for Steve Delk. The hat looked great even when it was being abused.

dean

grey ghost

One of the Regulars
I love the IJ movies, as entertainment they are great, I am going tomorrow night, and I am wearing a Fedora,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

can't wait

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I loved the first 3 movies.
I was a #2 on the new one until yesterday.
Now I hope to forget that I ever saw it.
It is easily one of the worst movies I've ever paid to see.

***Spoilers***
The chase scenes were fun, as always, but the aliens, the cgi monkeys, and Shia pulling off a tough guy? Not a chance.

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
I was #2, and now... I regret it.

I'm also sick of the dismissive, non-sensical attitude that my expecting a film as good as the first three means I "wanted to hate it", "I'm hypercritical", "I bought the hype" and my "expectations were too high."

No. I expected a film of the same caliber as the others.
I didn't get one.

Those of you who liked it, rock on. Glad to hear it. Go see it some more, and take the kids. I wouldn't dare try to analyze you for your reaction.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
After watching it last night together with my 19 year old son. I am still #2.
We came out of that cinema with big happy grins on our faces:D

It's not a deeply involving drama - c'mon guys. It's fun. It's action.
Don't think about it - just go along for the ride.
And THAT you get - the ride through the jungle was terrific.

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
I just came back from seeing it. I really didn't like it that much. There were a lot of elements that went into making it that way. In the end, I didn't feel much like I was watching an Indiana Jones. Everything was too fast-paced and HUGE. Big explosions, big waterfalls, over-the-top-huge finale, and aliens. If I want to see that, I can watch Stargate. I wanted to see Indiana Jones.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
#2[huh]

Took the family to see it opening day and had a blast. I didn't try to over think it, just got lost in the fun of the thing. It took me a few minutes to get in the groove of it being an Indiana Jones movie. The kids liked it. And the popcorn was delicious as usual. And alot of nice hats in that flick.lol

grey ghost

One of the Regulars
I went last night I really enjoyed the film...it took me ahwile to get use to seeing an aged Indy.

The film was very entertaining, I wore my penny,s marathon and my girl wore one of my whippet's,,,,,,,we had a blast...

go see the film and get lost in time

MAB1

Suspended
The Wolf said:
So it looks like we all agree. :D

The Wolf

What? You expect anybody to agree on anything around here? :D

I'm sure that once I figure out which channel the damn thing is on... I'll like it.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Hubby and I went to see it last night. I enjoyed it, but yeah, there were some parts where I fought not to roll my eyes. IMO, definitely not on par with Raiders and Last Crusade. But I'll watch it again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy