Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Member to FL ... hi all! + Vanson House Jacket (Model B)

G'c

Familiar Face
hiya! New to this thread.. what brought me in is outerwear section... as I love leather jackets and would like to know more ... I am also a member from another great forum filmjackets.com

Just to share some pics, my Vanson Model B with stripes (Supposedly similar to the House MD one but without badges, notice though that the stripes are not SA)

SAM_0739.jpg

and I tried to add a more dirty look to it by using shoe polish on the stripes:
SAM_0738.jpg

SAM_0737.jpg

SAM_0736.jpg

Thanks guys any comments welcome!

Bonneville

One of the Regulars
Nice cafe jacket, do you use it for motorcycling? I just placed an order for a custom Enfield, Vanson had a sale last Sunday -15% and free shipping. (3-6 months!)

How do you find the "competetion weight" and the leather?
Ted

*Now I only need the black HH Aero "Ace cafe" and their Bootlegger in brown oil pull HH and I'll be all set, I swear.

Peacoat

Bartender
Welcome to the Lounge.

Nice jacket. I am a real fan of the Vanson competition weight jackets. That 15% off sale and free shipping is a deal that can't be beat. You hit that one just right, Bonny.

Bonneville

One of the Regulars
Peacoat said:
Welcome to the Lounge.

Nice jacket. I am a real fan of the Vanson competition weight jackets. That 15% off sale and free shipping is a deal that can't be beat. You hit that one just right, Bonny.

Yes, I was just about to go for the Aero Ace cafe when I found out about the Sunday special, as I really like the look of the Enfield I couldn't resist. Off the racket model with shipping = $449.00, custom came to approx. $550

Thinking about have zips put in the side pockets.

3-6 month wait isn't going to be easy.............................

G'c

Familiar Face
Bonneville said:
Nice cafe jacket, do you use it for motorcycling? I just placed an order for a custom Enfield, Vanson had a sale last Sunday -15% and free shipping. (3-6 months!)

How do you find the "competetion weight" and the leather?
Ted

*Now I only need the black HH Aero "Ace cafe" and their Bootlegger in brown oil pull HH and I'll be all set, I swear.

Wow thanks guys for the warm response. Sorry that the jacket might look like i have been riding in it... but I actually don't ride at all (not at this moment, I wish to get a license soon!) I love this jacket because of its look .... and also wanted to try out the legendary Competition weight leather...

To answer your question, the competition weight is like an armour especially when it just arrived... it can stand by itself.. and it's shiny as hell.. After wearing it for about a year, and by putting it in the shower (!) [twice actually, I just put it in the shower again last week), with some distressing done, it certainly looks much less shiny and feels much more comfortable :)

I have done abit of further distressing today by using sandpaper.... will post some pics later :)

One of the Regulars
G'c said:
Wow thanks guys for the warm response. Sorry that the jacket might look like i have been riding in it... but I actually don't ride at all (not at this moment, I wish to get a license soon!) I love this jacket because of its look .... and also wanted to try out the legendary Competition weight leather...

To answer your question, the competition weight is like an armour especially when it just arrived... it can stand by itself.. and it's shiny as hell.. After wearing it for about a year, and by putting it in the shower (!) [twice actually, I just put it in the shower again last week), with some distressing done, it certainly looks much less shiny and feels much more comfortable :)

I have done abit of further distressing today by using sandpaper.... will post some pics later :)

Nice jacket!!!
Looks fantastic!
But... I can safely say that you are a poser?
Sorry... I couldn't resist!
I have a different understanding of how to use a motorcycle jackets.

G'c

Familiar Face
1087 said:
Nice jacket!!!
Looks fantastic!
But... I can safely say that you are a poser?
Sorry... I couldn't resist!
I have a different understanding of how to use a motorcycle jackets.

HAHAHA yes you might say that if you really want to .. can't control what you think :)

Well from my perspective I just wanted a leather jacket that will last ages, and looks good, so what's wrong with buying this jacket which looks great off the street and built like a tank? Furthermore, the so called FASHION leather jackets are mostly based on the older designs of motorcycle jackets, so basically most ppl who buy leather jackets must be posers....

Also maybe ppl who buy A-2 jackets must be pilots? Mmmm I don't know just my 2 cents.

G'c

Familiar Face
injunjack said:
Yup, a true poser....:eusa_doh:

Sorry if you think that I am a true poser, guess that I am not that welcomed after all since I don't ride a bike and wear a jacket that could be both functional on a bike and looks good off the bike haha [huh] [geez it's not like I am wearing a Vanson cobra or the racing ones with patches which truly look like they only belong on a motorcycle]

Sorry really didn't know that cafe racers cannot be worn off the bike .... and will become a poser if I did so :)

G'c said:
HAHAHA yes you might say that if you really want to .. can't control what you think :)

Well from my perspective I just wanted a leather jacket that will last ages, and looks good, so what's wrong with buying this jacket which looks great off the street and built like a tank? Furthermore, the so called FASHION leather jackets are mostly based on the older designs of motorcycle jackets, so basically most ppl who buy leather jackets must be posers....

Also maybe ppl who buy A-2 jackets must be pilots? Mmmm I don't know just my 2 cents.

Absolutely nothing wrong with it..in my view.....
...and your 2 cents does make alot of sense.
HD

injunjack

One of the Regulars
G'c said:
Sorry if you think that I am a true poser, guess that I am not that welcomed after all since I don't ride a bike and wear a jacket that could be both functional on a bike and looks good off the bike haha [huh] [geez it's not like I am wearing a Vanson cobra or the racing ones with patches which truly look like they only belong on a motorcycle]

Sorry really didn't know that cafe racers cannot be worn off the bike .... and will become a poser if I did so :)

By all means, use it. It's allright. Artificially making it look like it's seen alot of miles on a bike is another thing....

G'c

Familiar Face
injunjack said:
By all means, use it. It's allright. Artificially making it look like it's seen alot of miles on a bike is another thing....

The distress purpose is not to look like it has alot of miles in it. but rather, to make it look old, whether it is being used on a bike, or just daily wear.

This is because the jacket came way shiny and stiff, if you own a vanson you will know. Not to mention leather jackets, fashion or not, looks great (to me) when distressed, so I am sorry again to make you feel I am a poser that I distressed my jacket ...:eusa_doh:

G'c said:

I put alot of fun miles on a motorcycle each year(since aprox 1964)and probably own too many MC jackets that I've somehow collected. Most are more traditional styles rather than armored up racer types. They've always seemed to work for me. My recent fav is a new Vanson Enfield..and I wear it often in cooler temps.
I'm with you on this one. Some of the styles do look good whether riding a motorcycle or not...and I've always thought a more broken-in looking leather jacket usually looks much better than one new and fresh out of the box...no matter how you get there. I don't artificially age my MC jackets since mine age naturally out on the road. However...if you can refrain from over doing it...your Cafe jacket can have much of that charactor simply for street wear. I like the way it looks now in your recent pics. We all do it our own way..and some ole dawgs like me could actually care less if others may not agree. We tend to figure just maybe we've been around the block a time or two just as well as those who may differ in opinion. Do it your way. It is your jacket....
HD

G'c

Familiar Face
HoosierDaddy said:
I put alot of fun miles on a motorcycle each year(since aprox 1964)and probably own too many MC jackets that I've somehow collected. Most are more traditional styles rather than armored up racer types. They've always seemed to work for me. My recent fav is a new Vanson Enfield..and I wear it often in cooler temps.
I'm with you on this one. Some of the styles do look good whether riding a motorcycle or not...and I've always thought a more broken-in looking leather jacket usually looks much better than one new and fresh out of the box...no matter how you get there. I don't artificially age my MC jackets since mine age naturally out on the road. However...if you can refrain from over doing it...your Cafe jacket can have much of that charactor simply for street wear. I like the way it looks now in your recent pics. We all do it our own way..and some ole dawgs like me could actually care less if others may not agree. We tend to figure just maybe we've been around the block a time or two just as well as those who may differ in opinion. Do it your way. It is your jacket....
HD

Cheers HD !! I just like more vintage/worn looking leathers in general :) That is why I did what I did ....and more likely than not is because I don't have much patience hahha so I just distress myself first.. you have an enfield! Cool! In what colour ?

Navin323i

Practically Family
Welcome to the forum and enjoy your new jacket in the best of health. :)

I for one don't think you're a poser at all... it's your jacket and you're allowed to "modify" it any way you please... I understand your reasoning to want to make it look more worn... not to fool people into thinking you've been riding a motorcycle a lot, but to get rid of that shinyness that the jacket came with.

I purchased my Aero NYPD leather jacket (the one you see in my Avatar picture) not to fool people into thinking I'm a police cop, but to honor the memory of my deceased grandfather who was a hard-working police chief, good husband, and amazing father to his children (my mom was the youngest of his 6 children). Sadly I never met my grandfather who died 3 years before I was born but I honor his memory by proudly wearing my Aero NYPD horsehide jacket. :)

Navin

G'c

Familiar Face
Navin323i said:
Welcome to the forum and enjoy your new jacket in the best of health. :)

I for one don't think you're a poser at all... it's your jacket and you're allowed to "modify" it any way you please... I understand your reasoning to want to make it look more worn... not to fool people into thinking you've been riding a motorcycle a lot, but to get rid of that shinyness that the jacket came with.

I purchased my Aero NYPD leather jacket (the one you see in my Avatar picture) not to fool people into thinking I'm a police cop, but to honor the memory of my deceased grandfather who was a hard-working police chief, good husband, and amazing father to his children (my mom was the youngest of his 6 children). Sadly I never met my grandfather who died 3 years before I was born but I honor his memory by proudly wearing my Aero NYPD horsehide jacket. :) Navin

That's a great reason for you to wear your Aero NYPD jacket ... and it certainly looks badass! But what the heck, why do we have to explain our "reasons" to wear leathers to begin with? Can't we just say that leather jackets look cool, and as well being functional at the same time? For me, even for daily wear, it's very versatile as it keeps me darn warm without me worrying too much about this jacket being caught in the rain, while if I am wearing an armani with the same design but made out of more buttery skins, I would be worried to hell if it's wet. This jacket just ages and looks better if it's get beaten up, worn, and distressed :)

HoosierDaddy said:
Here it is when new....
Purchased from eBay.

IMG_0328.jpg

IMG_0325.jpg

IMG_0312.jpg

Nice Enfield mate!! I didn't know it was brand new until you stated in your post! It certianly looks it has some wear, but not too much, which is great for a new jacket! As we all know, when brand new Vanson arrives, it literally refelcts and have a plastic sheen to it :p How does it look like now when it's been worn for long?

Also, your 60's jacket looks awesome, love the leather, and although i usually don't prefer too many pockets on a jacket, the pockets compliment your jacket well!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21