Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Farace

Familiar Face
I presume this is the place one introduces oneself? My interest in hats, while not nearly as rabid as most here, must have begun at a young age. I have a photo of myself a couple months shy of three years old wearing a colonial tricorner hat as part of a costume during my hometown's tercentenary celebration. Since then, mostly lesser quality fedoras and in recent years a selection of Kangol wool and Ventair 504s (they stay on my head driving top down, when I get that chance).

In the past several years I picked up a couple of so-so hats, a Scala "Zoot" and a Stacy Adams pork pie that never fit right until I learned about steam. More recently, though, I've been playing in a jazz band and felt the need for a fedora with a stingier brim than the Scala Zoot (which sometimes makes me feel like Sister Bertrille), and within the past week I got off eBay a Resistol Jet 707. (Our band tries to evoke 1959, though we don't really quite get there.) The Resistol will be the subject of a separate post.

I'm not sure if this counts here, but I also am a volunteer trolley operator at the local trolley museum. I believe that part of what I do, to some extent, is theater and so I try to look the part with appropriate clothing. When we graduate from the training class, we are pointed toward a police and fireman's supply shop for our hats, which are really firemen's dress hats. I engaged in some redesign work, adding some antiqued gold piping, side buttons from the company that once actually operated streetcars over the rails where the museum is located, and a hat badge from a different local trolley company that went bankrupt in the 1920s. What I really want is one of the woven rattan conductor hats I've seen on occasion, but I don't need to tell anyone here that larger sizes in vintage hats are seldom seen, never mind something as arcane as that.

Anyway, that's a quick intro. I've several other hobbies and interests that might be at home here (vintage fountain pens, for instance?), but that should do for now. Off to ask a question or three about my "new" Resistol.

I presume this is the place one introduces oneself? My interest in hats, while not nearly as rabid as most here, must have begun at a young age. I have a photo of myself a couple months shy of three years old wearing a colonial tricorner hat as part of a costume during my hometown's tercentenary celebration. Since then, mostly lesser quality fedoras and in recent years a selection of Kangol wool and Ventair 504s (they stay on my head driving top down, when I get that chance).

In the past several years I picked up a couple of so-so hats, a Scala "Zoot" and a Stacy Adams pork pie that never fit right until I learned about steam. More recently, though, I've been playing in a jazz band and felt the need for a fedora with a stingier brim than the Scala Zoot (which sometimes makes me feel like Sister Bertrille), and within the past week I got off eBay a Resistol Jet 707. (Our band tries to evoke 1959, though we don't really quite get there.) The Resistol will be the subject of a separate post.

I'm not sure if this counts here, but I also am a volunteer trolley operator at the local trolley museum. I believe that part of what I do, to some extent, is theater and so I try to look the part with appropriate clothing. When we graduate from the training class, we are pointed toward a police and fireman's supply shop for our hats, which are really firemen's dress hats. I engaged in some redesign work, adding some antiqued gold piping, side buttons from the company that once actually operated streetcars over the rails where the museum is located, and a hat badge from a different local trolley company that went bankrupt in the 1920s. What I really want is one of the woven rattan conductor hats I've seen on occasion, but I don't need to tell anyone here that larger sizes in vintage hats are seldom seen, never mind something as arcane as that.

Anyway, that's a quick intro. I've several other hobbies and interests that might be at home here (vintage fountain pens, for instance?), but that should do for now. Off to ask a question or three about my "new" Resistol.

Welcome! The folks here are great and I hope you stick around. Please also share photos of your hats.

Brent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DaveProc

I'll Lock Up

Welcome!!

Farace

Familiar Face
Welcome! The folks here are great and I hope you stick around. Please also share photos of your hats.

Thank you! I don't have photos of wearing the Resistol or the porkpie, but was able to dig a few others out.

My tri-corner hat (with my grandmother):
IMG_1145.JPG

College band. Don't know what the hat was, or why I has stuck a plastic parachute man in the hatband (seemed like a good idea at the time!):
IMG_1142.JPG

One of my Kangols. I don't wear them backward anymore; it's common and silly:
IMG_1144.JPG

The Scala Zoot, rather too wide, I think, at a wedding with my brother and sister:
IMG_1141.JPG

My Panama hat, with my niece's daughter:
IMG_1139.JPG

At the Trolley Museum, my conductor hat, modified:
IMG_1143.JPG

Thank you! I don't have photos of wearing the Resistol or the porkpie, but was able to dig a few others out.

View attachment 187119

College band. Don't know what the hat was, or why I has stuck a plastic parachute man in the hatband (seemed like a good idea at the time!):
View attachment 187116

View attachment 187118

The Scala Zoot, rather too wide, I think, at a wedding with my brother and sister:
View attachment 187115

View attachment 187114

View attachment 187117
Welcome and great first post. I dig the one in the b&w band shot.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

View attachment 187119

View attachment 187116

View attachment 187118

View attachment 187115

View attachment 187114

View attachment 187117

Welcome, friend! Pull up a seat, get comfy. You say you’re not as rabidly afflicted by the bug as some of us, and maybe not. But we know hat people when we see them, and you’re one of the chosen. Enjoy the ride!!

Rtsgrassman

New in Town
I will second Brent's advice in using the Tapatalk app. There are no endless pages to click between in certain threads, only endless scrolling which I find to be more convenient. Posting and uploading pics is made simple as well. Of course, this is all if you access the lounge via cell phone or tablet.

One bit of advice that I will add as well. There is a plethora of information on here, and finding answers can be a tiresome task at times. The amount of information and added conversation can be quite a bit to sift through. One way to shortcut some of this is to run a Google search using your keywords, and adding the Fedora Lounge to the search. That will help pinpoint some of what you may be looking for.

Welcome to the lounge. We hope your stay here is a pleasant and extended one. And let's see some hats!
I’m new to iPhone tech. How does one post pics on this great site?

Farace

Familiar Face
I’m new to iPhone tech. How does one post pics on this great site?

I'm on an iPad, perhaps it's the same. At the bottom of the Reply field is a button for Upload A File. I then navigate to my photo gallery and choose the photo. You may be seeing something different, though?

Farace

Familiar Face
Okay...trying to use tapatalk. Hope this goes through

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe the difference is that I'm viewing the site through a browser? I have no knowledge of Tapatalk. Drives me nuts when something not only looks, but operates differently depending on the platform and/or app. Facebook is the worst for this. In FB, what I can see of my own photos is different depending on if I'm at home on my iPad, my Mac, or at work on a PC.

Rtsgrassman

New in Town
farace...I’m afraid you have underestimated my tech ignorance, but I appreciate your reply and help. Don’t know how to get a photo to the photoplacethingy. [emoji12]

Rtsgrassman

New in Town
Photo gallery. Is that the place on this phone that keeps the pics after I take one? I wouldn’t blame you if you give up on me, but I pray you don’t. I’ve only taken one pic so far and am not sure if I can even retrieve it. I’ll try. Sorry for my ineptitude.

Farace

Familiar Face
Photo gallery. Is that the place on this phone that keeps the pics after I take one? I wouldn’t blame you if you give up on me, but I pray you don’t. I’ve only taken one pic so far and am not sure if I can even retrieve it. I’ll try. Sorry for my ineptitude.

Can't say I'm much more adept. I absolutely hate trying to do anything on my phone. I only put up with my iPad because I can operate it from my recliner.

Rtsgrassman

New in Town
[emoji3] I understand, as that’s my favorite spot. I took a pic of me in a 60’s playboy Stetson that I,myself replaced the ribbon and sweat and have it in my gallery now but don’t know how to send it to the Lounge. I hit the copy icon, but nothing happened from there.

Rtsgrassman

New in Town
I’ll try to learn more later from someone nearby. Sorry to bother you. Love the site though! I’ll figure it out...someway. Hope this place will put up with my ignorance till I can use it properly. Thanks, Farace. Right now I have to paint my dear Mother’s porch railing. [emoji2955]. Be back tonight.

Here is how I post a pic from Tapatalk on an iPhone 10.

I click on the reply-to-thread icon at the lower right (orange arrow):

ee828882380a92ae63ff8faffa8b9fdb.jpg

Enter any text I want to post.

Then I click on the retrieve-photos-from-my-stored-images icon (looks like mountains in a photo):

793c36e9b51fc27d5b3581101346fed2.jpg

This brings up photos stored on my phone:

147db38cc57dc97f461b5b9c0f1be938.jpg

Then I click on the one I want (since I don’t have the paid version of Tapatalk I can only do one at a time):

4755cbdf1e27f78c7a8cd7a741cb374f.jpg

Then Tapatalk will let me know how that upload is coming along:

e8781366feb012e6a5354755c22032fa.jpg

It will be displayed in code with image-tags around it:

181410d772bbd1e4e7701d3733a9f2d2.jpg

Then I unclick the option that advertises for Tapatalk (but that is not required):

b3f191a0824a7768865164a90b088d98.jpg

Then hit “Reply” in the upper right corner.

Hope that helps a bit. Looking forward to seeing your hats!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21