Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New member with a new hat!

Desdinova721

New in Town
Hello, everyone.

I just registered here; Thunderw21 has been preaching to ARFCOM about fedoras for weeks now. I've got two proper hats, a Mallory stingy brim as shown and a cheap panama hat. I'm also trying to upgrade my wardrobe from a bunch of t-shirts and cheap jeans to something a bit classier.

I just got this Mallory last week, I picked it up at an antique store for a little over 20 bucks. It's a vintage hat but I don't know anything about it. As you can see, it's a dark brown and in good shape. I was sort of hoping someone could clue me in a little as to the hat, its age and its quality.

The hat:
newhat-1.jpg

hatleft.jpg

hatright.jpg

hatbottomright.jpg

"Larsen's Men's Store Lake City, Wash."

hatbottomleft.jpg

"Mallory - Aristocrat Quality - Style Selected by Sam Snead"

hatbottom.jpg

mefedora.jpg

Anyone know anything about this hat? How did I do?

P.S., at the same store, I also got a wool, 8-panel "Irish Motoring Cap" for 12 bucks:
metweed.jpg

Thanks!

surely

A-List Customer
you done good, boy.:) Mallory was a good brand, not at the top but near. Good effort with the photography.

But please, enough with the photos of eyes staring out. Personally, I find them distracting. I know a lot of people do that here but soon, no now, I am starting a campaign discouraging the practice. At least you had two different expressions which showed some personality.

ok, now lets get down to business: welcome

KilroyCD

One Too Many
I'm no authority, but I'd say the Mallory was a good buy. From appearances, it looks to be in fine shape. As to its age, I'd guess (because of the Sam Snead endorsement) it could possibly date from the 1950s - 60s.
Without a doubt, your eight-panel cap was a good buy at $12. By the way, the eight-panel style is also commonly known as a "newsboy" cap. I have one in a Donegal tweed that I wear regularly. They are very comfortable on cold days (especially for those who are follically challenged, like me).
All in all, I'd say well done!

Desdinova721

New in Town
KilroyCD said:
I'm no authority, but I'd say the Mallory was a good buy. From appearances, it looks to be in fine shape. As to its age, I'd guess (because of the Sam Snead endorsement) it could possibly date from the 1950s - 60s.
Without a doubt, your eight-panel cap was a good buy at $12. By the way, the eight-panel style is also commonly known as a "newsboy" cap. I have one in a Donegal tweed that I wear regularly. They are very comfortable on cold days (especially for those who are follically challenged, like me).
All in all, I'd say well done!

Thanks. Here's the interior of the cap. I don't know if the name Jonathan Richards means anything to anyone. Caps are fun because of the variation in colors/patterns, more varied than fedoras without looking too flamboyant. I really like this one, it's become my main casual piece of headgear since I lost my watch cap.

capint.jpg

AdmiralTofu

One of the Regulars
Welcome to the Lounge! That Mallory is really nice, and that cap is simply boss. Great finds, both!

-Tofu

Razzman

One Too Many
Welcome to the Lounge! You have two nice finds. Nice looking Mallory.:eusa_clap The newsboy appears to be a good looking hat too.
Congratulations. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

flylot74

One of the Regulars
Welcome to the lounge. While I think your Mallory is a nice hat, may I offer a suggestion. Your next fedora should be blue. You have strikingly blue eyes, take advantage of that. Believe me, chicks will dig it!

....just my $ .02

.....females of the lounge, please feel free to chime in here...........

Marty M.

Vendor
Welcome wagon.

Welcome to the Lounge Desdinova. Great first post. Both lids look great. Trust me, if I had your eyes, I'd make sure that they were in all of my postings :p .
Marty Mathis

blade runner

New in Town
Nice finds.

With that newsboy cap, you look positively Irish (whether you really are or not), like someone we might expect to see on the streets of Lisdoonvarna or some other small Irish town. It suits you well.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Welcome to the Lounge, Desdinova. You have two great hats there. The Mallory looks quite stylish and the newboy cap is divine.

You can tell, I have a lot of newboy caps, would love to find one like that for $12. It's from Ireland. Jonathan Richard was or is, a cap maker, makes Irish tweed and Donegal caps, newsboy caps, also Irish walking hats.

Bencraft hats carries their newsboy caps ($65!) and I have an older cap I got years ago from J. Peterman and paid at least $60 or more back then!

You scored!

karol

Desdinova721

New in Town
flylot74 said:
Welcome to the lounge. While I think your Mallory is a nice hat, may I offer a suggestion. Your next fedora should be blue. You have strikingly blue eyes, take advantage of that. Believe me, chicks will dig it!

....just my $ .02

.....females of the lounge, please feel free to chime in here...........

I don't know, I did bump up the brightness/contrast on those quite a bit since the Mallory is very dark, almost black under most light, and I don't take very good pictures. Thanks, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic