Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New to Forum - New Highwayman !

KevG

New in Town
Hi All

Came to this forum a few weeks ago - mainly because of the discussions and great tips on purchasing a new Aero. So that's what I've been soaking up during that time.

My new Highwayman in FQHH Cordovan arrived today. The HH is sooooo stiff, at first I thought I would have trouble with the fit.

However, a couple of hours with the jacket and I'm pretty sure the fit is just right - just needs wearing in a little !

Will post pics, once I learn how to do that....

Will also monitor the 'Cordovan' for colour bleed, as there has been quite a bit of discussion around that lately. So far, absolutely no indication of the colour rubbing off.

KevG

1911 Man

A-List Customer
Congrats on the Aero. I have the 1940 A2, which is a slightly thinner leather, and I am still breaking it in. I would like to hear more about how long a FQHH takes to soften, as I hope to buy a Barnstormer this summer.

Peacoat

Bartender
Don't worry about the "color bleed." Shouldn't be a problem unless you put some type of "conditioner" on the leather. That might cause some color transfer. Although I think I remember someone on this forum saying he had a color bleed problem and had put nothing on the jacket. That was a while back, and I could be mistaken. Probably no need to do anything to the leather until you have worn it for ten years or so.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Welcome! Glad you could join us and definitely looking forward to photos of the new jacket.

Cheers!

KevG

New in Town
Thanks for the welcome guys

I work away from home during the week, so I'll try and remember to grab the camera this weekend and post pics asap

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
I am also new to the Fedora Lounge and I am in a very similar position to KevG. I have traded in my last Aero and am not sure which to model to replace it with. Highwayman, half-belt or Rallye – and which colour? This will be my fourth Aero: none so far has been exactly right, but I am determined to get my ideal jacket this time. Is the Highwayman too bland? I want a shorter jacket because have found my previous models too boxy, and they can be incredibly heavy. But, at the moment, I am most concerned about the colour. I am leaning towards cordovan, even though I am generally very cautious of brown. If anyone has pictures of their cordovan Aero they could post, they would be most gratefully viewed.

Sir Jacket

James Miller

One of the Regulars
Welcome !

Welcome aboard... I bet your a happy one now. I just got my AeroFQHH (happy Days) this past Christmas and boy is it stiff also. I am trying to tame it as fast as I can and it's starting to show some nice grain marks.

You will be happy with it just give it some time, I mean a while you to will be able to tame your Areo. Like to see some pictures if you get around to it. I had some trouble gitting mine posted.

Jovan

Suspended
KevG, all you have to do is copy and paste a direct link to your picture (most commonly, hosted on a website like Photobucket.com), highlight what you just pasted, and click the Insert Image button in the editing tools above.

Hope to see the pictures soon. :)

KevG

New in Town
:D

29thMarch017.jpg

29thMarch012.jpg

HDRnR

A-List Customer
Peacoat said:
Don't worry about the "color bleed." Shouldn't be a problem unless you put some type of "conditioner" on the leather. That might cause some color transfer. Although I think I remember someone on this forum saying he had a color bleed problem and had put nothing on the jacket. That was a while back, and I could be mistaken. Probably no need to do anything to the leather until you have worn it for ten years or so.

I had pretty heavy bleed with mine, no conditioner ever added. Look for bleed wear the jacket rubs when you drive your car. I always hang mine in the same spot in my closet and there is actually dye on the wall where the sleeve rubs when I hang it. I think it has subsided now after six months of wear. I also rinsed it in the shower and rubbed it down. Was so bad my wife would not let me wear it in her new car. Funny thing is the leather in her car wear it bled into will not come out.

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Very nice, indeed, Kev. Now I'm leaning pretty strongly towards the same model and colour. The "bleeding" issue does concern me, though; the cordovan sample I received from Aero bleeds like a minor wound. Anything to report on that front, Kev? I have decided to make up my mind by Monday, when I will call Aero and place my order.

Sir Jacket

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's a nice jacket.

Cordovan seems like a tough color to
represent on the computer. Would you
characterize it as more brown or more purple?

Congrats.

Peacoat

Bartender
The pics KevG posted are true to the cordovan color in the jackets sold by Aero. If I can remember to do so, I will take a few pics of my Highwayman that is a year old and well broken in.

KevG

New in Town
Not great pics, but the colour is pretty true to life

Been wearing it lots since I got it on Wed last week and still no sign of bleeding.

Had a rub with a white cloth and my fingers and no problems to report.

It does scratch quite easy, but that doesnt bother me as the more it gets a battering the more I like it - that worn look.

The colour does seem to change depending on the light. Artificial light makes it look a dark brown (I have a dark brown Wested and my wife thought it was exactly the same colour the first time she saw it). In day light it has that purple 'tinge' which is subtle and I think pretty cool.

Will try to post some better shots during the week.

Peacoat

Bartender
Here are some pics of my well broken in Highwayman. The flash makes it look more shiny than it is. When I first got it, it was shiny, but that has worn off over the past year or so.

Highwayman002.jpg

Highwayman003.jpg

KevG

New in Town
Great shots Peacoat

Cant wait til mine is broken in too

Looks like we've now have us a thread with some useful info on Aero cordovan !

It would be great to see some shots of a jacket that's a few years old - anyone ?

:eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925