Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

new-to-me highwayman!

jksu

Familiar Face
hi folks,

sorry, you're all probably tired of highwayman threads, but it's my first aero jacket and i'm thrilled! this was oldcrow's highwayman that he reluctantly sold to me and i can see why... it's a great jacket. and i wish him luck in getting his new jacket.

i'd been through joe rocket, alpinestars and dainese leather bike jackets but just didn't like the boy racer look... finally settled on a couple functional textile jackets for riding, but kept wanting leather. my dad always had one... you know the story.

after more research and luck, a fox creek grayson came my way and took care of that -- great leather with pockets for armor and fit me well. but style-wise i didn't know what i was missing until i found TFL! after seeing the pics of the amazing horsehides, i just couldn't get the aeros out of my mind!

the size 36 tagged highwayman (with 1" added to sleeves and length) fits me perfect - at least i think so. what do you guys think?

oldcrow did a great job breaking it in because this highwayman is extremely comfortable. it's markedly lighter than the fox creek even minus armor, thus a joy to throw on. the cotton drill and inner sleeve cuffs are very comfortable. the aero horsehide (oil pull) is not quite as supple as the fox creek even though it's marginally thinner, but manages to move (stretch?) and has a amazing smooth touch and feel. well, you all already now this but it's still amazing to me!

i'm 6', 175lbs, somewhat lean, longish legs/arms. 39" chest, 34" waist, 34" inseam, 16/34 dress shirts... i think the jacket fits me perfectly... you guys be the judge. don't plan to layer much. i'm in los angeles, so super cold is rare and i have plenty of warmer jackets to use in sub 60 mornings or evening.

sorry for the poor quality laptop-cam pics... for pretty pictures of the oil pull brown leather check out oldcrow's posts.

34zj2f4.jpg
3505vkx.jpg
5l6geu.jpg

Last edited:

Cole

One of the Regulars
Great looking jacket. It doesn't look as roomy and bulky as the Highwayman usualy does. :eusa_clap

Peacoat

Bartender
Couldn't ask for a better fit. My Highwayman is closely fitted also. And I have the Cordovan as well. Congratulations on an excellent jacket with a good fit. Also, welcome to the Lounge. PC.

Edit Note: Oops, just saw it is oil pull brown. Sure looks like a cordovan in the photographs.

Last edited:

nevadapd

Familiar Face
As bike jackets go for a place like LA, the minimalist style of your Highwayman is perfect I think - it's a really nice jacket.

jksu

Familiar Face
thanks everyone for the feedback!

i can't find enough opportunities to wear it -- would sleep in it if could.

advice requested:
from this group, i've learned for brand new jackets, there's no need to condition, etc. since this jacket is 2 years old, any recs on frequency of conditioning? i bought some leather "honey" i think it's called, to use on my fox creeek cow hide, but not sure if it's the ok for horsehide. also have some lexol that i've used on older dainese and schott cow jackets and that seemed to work ok.

jksu

Familiar Face
so i've seen some posts that say the highwayman is cut/designed the way it is because of the period it came from....does that mean during that period everyone wore loose/baggy jackets? am i just wearing a jacket that's supposed to fit loose, but going down multiple sizes just to wear it the way i think i like it?

in the end, i guess it just matters that i like the jacket and it's fit. but for my own edification about the history of this style of jacket, how is it supposed to fit?

so i've seen some posts that say the highwayman is cut/designed the way it is because of the period it came from....does that mean during that period everyone wore loose/baggy jackets? am i just wearing a jacket that's supposed to fit loose, but going down multiple sizes just to wear it the way i think i like it?in the end, i guess it just matters that i like the jacket and it's fit. but for my own edification about the history of this style of jacket, how is it supposed to fit?
How anyone wore theirs doesn't change how you wear yours. If you like it, then it's perfect. Sure, there's a general era/look to some jackets, but if you don't like how it fits you, you won't wear it. Enjoy it. Don't worry about the 50's!

Peacoat

Bartender
advice requested:
from this group, i've learned for brand new jackets, there's no need to condition, etc. since this jacket is 2 years old, any recs on frequency of conditioning? i bought some leather "honey" i think it's called, to use on my fox creeek cow hide, but not sure if it's the ok for horsehide. also have some lexol that i've used on older dainese and schott cow jackets and that seemed to work ok.

No need to put anything on the jacket for a long time. When it starts to feel a bit dry is the time to do something. Then it might be a good idea to buy a pound of Pecard Leather Conditioner. Most of the long time HH junkies on this forum swear by it, and the Smithsonian uses Pecard for its collection of vintage jackets. I have used it on multiple occasions with good results. The jacket will soak up what it needs, and you just wipe the remainder off with a cloth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner