New (to me) Himel Bros/Goodwear Californian

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by lina, Jun 5, 2016.

1. lina

lina Practically Family

Just got this very slightly used Californian, which was the prototype for the new Himel Bros/Goodwear collaboration. Naturally, most of you will recognize it from a regular poster here, who graciously talked me through various jacket issues and was willing to let this one go at a fair price. It's a beauty! Sleeves are probably an inch-and-a-half too long, and I wouldn't mind another inch in the body length, but otherwise I think it will work out for me. I am usually between a 42 and a 44, and this 44 gives me just enough room for a layer in winter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. singer

singer Familiar Face

I love that Ventura design, love the color. The leather looks really nice. You should have no problem getting those sleeves shorted by a custom leather jacket shop (around here, Johnson Leather does that kind of thing well).

3. singer

singer Familiar Face

And fwiw, I think the length is perfect :)

Sloan1874 likes this.
  4. robrinay

robrinay One Too Many

Envy!! But yes the sleeves are a bit long although they may 'ride up with wear'.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  5. Monitor

Monitor

Just the sleeves; body is perfect. Wouldn't touch it, myself. Beautiful hide.

Guppy likes this.
  6. pauleway

pauleway Practically Family

Body length looks good to me, just get those sleeves fixed and you're gold!;)

7. TREEMAN

TREEMAN One Too Many

Nice.........

8. Grayland

Grayland One Too Many

Leave the length alone. I can't imagine anyone else finding that jacket too short. Beautiful hide.

bretron likes this.
  9. bretron

bretron Call Me a Cab

Length is long, if anything. Fix them sleeves and you got a practical Grail jacket

Sloan1874, A-1 and Monitor like this.
  10. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

I agree- sleeves only!
    Very nice :)

11. Fanch

Fanch I'll Lock Up

That is a great pattern as I speak from experience. The only thing that needs to be adjusted is the sleeves, maybe 1 1/2 inches. Be careful to not take in too much as the sleeves can always be made shorter but not longer. I concur with what others have said; the body length is fine.

12. Fanch

Fanch I'll Lock Up

handymike, you posted just before I did, and everytime you post, I keep looking at your avatar trying to figure out what it is? If you don't tell us, I have a suggestion for a new avatar: Wile E. Coyote, a distinguished gent of considerable influence. :D
    Wile_E_Coyote.png

13. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

...and "Super-genius" ;)
    as for my avatar, it's a guy who wanted more of a 3-d experience with his transistor radio, so he strapped one on his face. Others took offence @ Prof. Fate...
    I can keep looking if you'd like ;) or go back to the monkey.

14. Fanch

Fanch I'll Lock Up

Nah, handymike, I was just curious the significance of your avatar. I'll have to admit though my favorite is @Superfluous' John Belushi (Bluto Blutarsky) that Craig reinstated by popular demand. :cool:

15. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

What about this guy then?
    image.jpg

Sloan1874 and tmitchell59 like this.
  16. ton312

ton312

Shorten those sleeves by 1" and you're:
    image.jpeg
    Everything else is spot on perfect.

Monitor likes this.
  17. ton312

ton312

This is my fav avatar on the FL. This reminds me of what the first guy pushing that button on LOST must've looked like.

18. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

wow, the finale of that show left me so angry/disappointed that I guess I blocked out everything... this guy, right? :)
    image.jpg
    sorry to derail the thread....

ton312 likes this.
  19. dudewuttheheck

dudewuttheheck Call Me a Cab

I have to agree with everyone and say that you really don't want the length to be any longer than that. Just shorten the sleeves and it's perfect.

A gorgeous jacket overall!

Fanch likes this.
  20. lina

lina Practically Family

Appreciate all the feedback, especially on the body length. Actually, these pics represent the first time I tried it on with a tucked-in shirt, and looking at them I agree that the length is fine. I am used to longer jackets, but I see that for this style it's as it should be.

I may have the sleeves shortened, but am wondering how that would work with the cuff cinches. Might throw off the proportions and/or functionality of the cinches. I'll think about it. I may also just live with them the way they are...