Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New to the flight jacket world...

nick123

I'll Lock Up
...and this forum!

I purchased a Cockpit horsehide A-2 last month (actually it was a birthday present)...since then, I have become addicted to learning about flight jackets and browsing "future buys". This forum seems to have a lot of knowledgeable/good people and I thought it would be cool to "break out of my forum posting fear" and get the ball rolling...next stop, Gibson/Barnes G-1!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I'm a relative noob too, as A2's go. But man have you come to the right place. There are some guys on here that live and breath this stuff and they will be more than happy to introduce you to the wild, wacky and addictive world of vintage clothing in general and premium leather in particular.

Worf

Welcome, but hide (no pun intended) your wallet lol
You might want to start (assuming you're married or attached) by getting a really nice gift for her - priming the pump as it were.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
There are many threads here on all types of leather, flight, and A2s in particular. Go to the Outwear section and scroll through the pages of threads. You won't be disappointed.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Girlfriend?..Wife?...Nope, single at the moment. That's ok...leather jackets are more important than girls, lol. The money thing-yes, this is an expensive hobby but my game plan is to get a few "nice" repros, call it a day, and then go econo on ebay and look for budget, vintage jackets.
It's funny, I recognize a few of you from viewing this website (before getting an account).

gruvi

Familiar Face
Hi Nick
Even though I am registered here since 07, I have rarely posted. Me too, I am new to flight jackets after I saw one here recently, then saw and bought a vintage one at my local vintage shop. That was less than two weeks back, and just since last evening I went online to find and buy four more vintagd G-1's. Each one is older than the other, all the way to a 1950s 7823(AER). I feel your money spent would benefit you better on getting the genuine military article. They are more likely to go up in or at least hold the value of the price you can get them for today. Good luck and have fun!

Peacoat

Bartender
Girlfriend?..Wife?...Nope, single at the moment. That's ok...leather jackets are more important than girls, lol. The money thing-yes, this is an expensive hobby but my game plan is to get a few "nice" repros, call it a day, and then go econo on ebay and look for budget, vintage jackets.
It's funny, I recognize a few of you from viewing this website (before getting an account).

Welcome to the Lounge.

Good luck being able to "call it a day" after buying a few of them. There is always just one more. And then when you tire of the flight jackets, there are a bunch of good quality motorcycle jackets with your name on them. Like I said, good luck on being able to call it a day.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Welcome to the Lounge.

Good luck being able to "call it a day" after buying a few of them. There is always just one more. And then when you tire of the flight jackets, there are a bunch of good quality motorcycle jackets with your name on them. Like I said, good luck on being able to call it a day.

Im not sure how many I'll buy/plan on buying in the future. One or two jackets for now are all I need...I did however, get a couple of books on the subject, and am looking forward to them. I can see how this could get pretty addicting though.

On a side note though, I really like that "Bridges at Toko Ri" jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner