Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newbie Intro

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hola Mauricio! But do tell us the state of fedoras and vintage clothing interest in a place like Buenos Aires. Is there any hint at a movement of men wearing fedoras again? I imagine much of the time your climate would be more Panama straw popular.:fedora:

mauriciogray

New in Town
Fedoras in BA

First... I envy you RedPop... Messi is one of the best promises from Argentina... the media called him the new Maradona... but I think he needs more time.

The winter in Buenos Aires is hard and cold... you can feel freeze yours bones here.
The fedoras are linked to the tango movement. Fedoras like Funghis or Tango or Chambergos... we call chambergos when a fedora has the C crown.

The vintage clothes are difficult to get. Maybe in the flea markets from San Telmo, but it is expensive. The fedoras... ufff... is a paradise but you'll need talk spanish like a porte?±o to cheat the seller or he will cheat you with the cost.

The panama here isn't good, but Argentina was the most important felt producer in world. Borsalino used the argentinian felt. But this is story for a new post.

Men and women are using hats again... timidly.

SheikhDaoud

New in Town
Bienvenido al grupo Mauricio!

Hola Mauricio,
Yo tambien soy relativamente nuevo en el Foro pero como vos he aprendido bastante de los participantes, que son verdaderos expertos y ademas no desprecian a los que no saben tanto como ellos.
Pase mucho tiempo en Bs.As. en los anos 80...muy lindos recuerdos, la verdad.
Como a algunos de los otros miembros, me gustaria ver fotos seleccionadas de tu coleccion.
Por lo que sea, estoy a las ordenes.
Un abrazo,
David

And for those of you who don't speak Spanish:

Hi Mauricio,
I also am relatively new on this Forum but like you I have learned much from the participatns, who are true experts and who don't look down at those who don't know as much as they do.
I spent much time in Buenos Aires in the 1980s...very beautiful memories, truthfully.
Like some of my fellow members, I would like to see select pictures of your collection.
For anything else, I am at your disposal.
Cheers,
David

Slicksuit

One of the Regulars
Welcome!

Welcome, Mauricio!

Your avatar is handsome...which of your hats is that one in it (assuming that is you)? The brim seems moderate in width.

Do you enjoy vintage clothing as well, and dress up often?

rrog

A-List Customer
Hello. I've been coming to this board for a couple of weeks now. I've already learned more than I thought there was to know about hats! And from what I've read, I'm not the only one who has hat "issues" as far as finding the right one for me, staring to wear it w/o feeling weird, etc.

For now, I wear (sometimes) an Australian Outback hat, the Kodiak model. It's over ten years old and I just had to re-treat it. It's sort of lost its shape due to neglect and improper storage. :eusa_doh:

I'm gathering information before I make a purchase on another one; haven't decided what style yet. But I know I'll have lots of questions and I'm sure there's someone here who can help answer them. That's all for now. I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello to the board and thanks for having me.

Rick

rrog

A-List Customer
J.T.Marcus said:
Welcome to the Lounge! Was your "retreatment" successful?

Yes, as far as getting the hat to be water proof/repellent again. It was just a matter of rubbing the Joseph Lyddy Dry Proof (the brand I bought; there are others out there) into the hat. Per the instructions, I used a hair dryer and then additionally hung the hat in our bathroom which has a ceiling-mounted heater. I guess the heat sort of melts the Dry Proof into the pores of the hat.

As far as reshaping the hat, there was no success. As I said, this hat has been neglected and stored improperly through the years, so it's shape is not real good. The pinch on the crown is accentuated because the crown has been crushed down. It's a lopsided crown.

I was going to try to search through the board some more before I asked this, but since I'm on the subject, I'll go ahead and ask. Is there anyway to reshape an oilskin hat? I don't know if steam would work like it does for felt hats. And I'm guessing that starch is not the answer either. I've thought of cutting out some plastic or something to use to help it keep its form/shape, but I'm not sure how to go about that and maintain the shape of the pinched front. I'm open to advice. And of course, I wouldn't be surprised if there's nothing I can do...

Thanks for your time,
Rick

BTW, indycop, when you go to Bass Pro, you're within 17 miles of my house. And did you know there's now a Gander Mountain store in west Knoxville? It's in the Turkey Creek area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy