Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

**NEWS EXTRA**Good Wear flying jackets take vintage authenticity to new heights!!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
**housekeeping note gents**

Could you do me the service please of posting 'all' GOODWEAR things in here Gentlemen, as it just helps 'ALL of us' out from chasing things scattered all over the shop ;)

The GREAT thing about having it all in 'one place' is that it acts as a good reference resource!!;) thanks for your help and contributions with this!:eusa_clap

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Something in the Works

Here's a vintage Monarch jacket that John has and is going to reproduce at some point. It's a cool looking jacket that would give some variety to one's A-2 collection. He's even got some vintage zippers to put on it. I don't know when it will become available but I'm anxious to see it when it does.
civvie_front.jpg

civvie_reverse.jpg

fedoralover

tonypaj

Practically Family
fedoralover said:
Here's a vintage Monarch jacket that John has and is going to reproduce at some point. It's a cool looking jacket that would give some variety to one's A-2 collection. He's even got some vintage zippers to put on it. I don't know when it will become available but I'm anxious to see it when it does.
civvie_front.jpg

civvie_reverse.jpg

fedoralover

This jacket in 44, that would be it, no more leather jackets for me. And I mean it...

tonypaj

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Mike K. said:
Hey Fedoralover! Have you received your new GW Dubow yet?

Not yet, first week or so of Feb. is the projected time John thinks he'll get to mine. I'm in no hurry, it's a lighter weight leather anyway, which means I'll be able to wear it longer this spring.

I just decided to get the NOS talon with it and sent John the money to cover it. They don't look that much different than the ones he's using, but I figured since they were available I might as well get one.

fedoralover

Mike K.

One Too Many
Sounds great! Can't wait to see your new jacket.
I'm holding off on mine until John's new batch of horsehide arrives.
Still debating between the Aero, Dubow, and No-name contracts.

rumblefish

One Too Many
While I've been waiting for my Doniger contract A-2 from Good Wear, the search for this year's birthday gift to myself goes on.

John's Doniger contract was an easy choice. After seeing Andrew's photos of the Doniger he got, the few variations I decided on were scrapped in favor of one just like his. (Mine is due soon, I'll post photos).

The next one, I think, will be on lighter side of russet. I asked on VLJ for some photos of people's lighter original A-2, and got some good ideas. Just recently some one put one of John's Doniger A-2s in cowhide for sale on eBay. This and the postings on VLJ narrowed down the sort of the color I'm looking for. Now, having found a color, the contract choice still remains. I like his new Werber or the Werber on page 250 in American Flight Jackets. Then I asked John about the jacket Jimmy Doolittle wore in the photos aboard the USS Hornet before the raid. John sent me these photos of one he had on his CD.
front_view_flat.jpg
[/IMG]
reverse_view_flat.jpg
[/IMG]
collar_details.jpg
[/IMG]
label.jpg
[/IMG]
Neither the Werber in AFL or this Dubow is in production yet so this is all, of course, concept right now, but in time.......

What's amazing about Good Wear is John's flexibility. When we discuss contract specifics, I realize how daring, and how committed to customer satisfaction he is. I've asked about the possibility of making the Security Aviation Togs with a copy of it's proprietary label, and the sewn in throat hook and sleeve top-stitching on the earliest of other contracts. His answer has always been-yes, can be done

Since John is waiting on horsehide to arrive, skin decision still remains. On these earlier contracts I would prefer horse but if I like the color of cow better I'll go with that.

I would really appreciate anyone's and everyone's insights or opinions of these or other contracts you've seen with a lighter hide.

Thank you,
Chris M

PS Not including jackets that are light because of wear.

PPS Nothing in goat, that one is on it's way.

rumblefish

One Too Many
My Doniger A-2 from Good Wear came today. WOW!!!
I have a few flight jackets, this is my first from John. This is the only one I have that I wouldn't change a thing on. PERFECT! And the fit is dead on.
I plan to ask Mrs. M. to take more pictures with me wearing it, I'll post them and write a more detailed review.
DSC00713.jpg

Close-ups of pockets to show variation in grain, there's a lot.
DSC00714.jpg

DSC00715.jpg

One a year is all I want.
Chris M.

rumblefish

One Too Many
DSC00736.jpg

Fits perfectly around the waist. John said this conract was a good choice for the fit I wanted, he was right.

DSC00721.jpg

I like the way the grain on and around the pocket shows up here.

My first time wearing this one it felt a wee bit tight in the shoulders and back of the arms. Two days and wearing it almost non-stop it has formed just right. This turned out to be a 42 and a bit shorter in the sleaves (Thanks John for not putting short or S on the pocket label :D)

The goatskin is amazing, color and feel!

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Wow!! Thanks for the pics. They really show the beauty of the Goatskin John has. The jacket itself looks fabulous. It fits you perfectly. John has really upped the standard for A-2 repro's.

fedoralover

Estevan

One of the Regulars
Is that the true color, or is it darker? I reminds me of ELC's Cable Raincoat goat they use. Very nice indeed. Great buy, John has some very nice stuff. I'd be after one if I weren't up to my neck in originals already. :rolleyes:

rumblefish

One Too Many
Thanks for the comments.
It's color is somewhere between the outside shots and the close ups. The shirt I'm wearing isn't that pale (niether is my face!), it's more of an army OD. The inside shot on the rug is quite a bit lighter than the actual shade.

Windsock

A-List Customer
fedoralover said:
For you Goodwear fans, check out this link to a Dubow John just made with horsehide.

http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/gwdubow_images1.html

fedoralover

Arrghh :eusa_doh: Now to me that really is 1942 in a box. That looks like a deadstock Dubow.

I have a project in the works with John to make the worlds first (and maybe only if it doesn't work out) GW Dubow made from seal Kangaroo hide- which from the hides I have sourced looks a lot like some of the old HH I have seen. After seeing this it's making my decision very difficult....

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Good things come to those that wait, it has been said. And I'm glad this came in at the time it did as I hope to get a clone of the one pictured. I wafffled on the hide I wanted several times, but now my decision is clear. It's definitely this one.

It looks like John found a warp in the space time continuem and went back to the 40s and stood in line where they were issuing the A-2s and got one.

I can see in a few years after some wear is put on one, that if one of these is sold to an unscrupulous person, they could resell it as an original.

fedoralover

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
What nice stitching!

As they say, "the devil is in the detail" and where almost all reproductions most fall short (IMHO) is in the stitching. They are like old jackets built with modern sewing practice. John's shows the heavy duty thread (I assume it's 'real' cotton) and he has the bobbin tension set so that the stitches are linear. Most manufacturers stop at getting the stitch count roughly correct and the thread colour right and think they've 'done the job'. John has gone way beyond that. John Chapman, I salute you, sir.

<Added later> I believe I have just detected the presence of the small pieces of leather that are inside the collar and pocket flaps to reinforce the snaps. As these are invisible (although they can usually be felt) they often go un-noticed on originals and (very) few reproductions include them. Again, another tiny detail that makes a big difference.

Just to add, that you can achieve this <stitching> effect with hand stitching if you are working for yourself and are prepared to take the time!

Alan

rumblefish

One Too Many
fedoralover said:
Good things come to those that wait, it has been said. And I'm glad this came in at the time it did as I hope to get a clone of the one pictured. I wafffled on the hide I wanted several times, but now my decision is clear. It's definitely this one.

Great choice fedoralover. Having seen this, I'd ask for the same for the Dubow; Hide, color, thread, knits.
Thanks for the post!

fedoralover said:
I can see in a few years after some wear is put on one, that if one of these is sold to an unscrupulous person, they could resell it as an original.

fedoralover
I asked John to sign mine, inside a pocket with permanent ink,,,,,, so I wouldn't be tempted;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21