Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

**NEWS EXTRA**Good Wear flying jackets take vintage authenticity to new heights!!

greyhound68

A-List Customer
MudInYerEye said:
My size 38 Buzz Rough Wear A-2 fits exactly like my original size 38 Rough Wear (unlike my Eastman Rough Wear). I have noticed differences in some of their nylon jackets' cuts, but the Buzz A-2s seem pretty faithful pattern-wise. What modern concessions have you noticed in the Buzz A-2 patterns?

Both of my original RWs a 27752 and 18091 are size 44 and fit great. My Buzz RW is a 42 and fits fantastic. The 44 Buzz RW I had (same model as the 42) was a bit too big not much but certainly not the fit of the 42.

CBI

One Too Many
The Buzz jackets are GREAT but they seem to have a generic "one look" as opposed to them really looking like the contracts copied (this has been my experience, by I could be all wrong). In addition, I have seen 2 BR A-2's in person that used VERY thick thread (I think for an authentic look but it ended up looking odd). It would be great to see some comparison photos orig vs. BR as has been shown with Goodwear vs. orig on this thread. The jacket I had (BR) were very slim and long - for an A-2 (perhaps for the Asia market?). This is all within the context of them making great jackets. I also had some leather quality issues in terms of the leather looking more “faux vintage” than it should. It sounds like folks have had great luck with BR. In terms of suggesting purchasing a new A-2 repro, Goodwear seems to be the best option now in my view. BR leathers are also very expensive and perhaps that made my expectation level particularly high. Also, very few folks including myself have had firsthand experience with ALL of the contracts by ALL of the makers so I guess it might in the end be too hard to say for sure. ChuckO on this thread was looking into A-2's so a few of us suggested GW. It seems to hit all of the bases. What has been so great with GW is that for years I had been asking: Why can't someone just copy an A-2? Just copy it, don't change anything, don't try to improve it, just a copy please. Then GW came along and I think has answered this question. I guess one could go back to "just wear an original" which is a good point but now those are very expensive. If only I had kept all of mine! D’oh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
CBI said:
What has been so great with GW is that for years I had been asking: Why can't someone just copy an A-2? Just copy it, don't change anything, don't try to improve it, just a copy please. Then GW came along and I think has answered this question.
Or made it a moot point really.

John's edge may be that he is an outsider of sorts. The clothing business really does operate in one way most of the time, and that way has nothing to do with copying. Change and updating is a very hard habit to break.

ChuckO

New in Town
Goodwear Dubow

Has anyone bought the Dubow from Goodwear yet. I haven't heard much about Dubow jackets but if the photos from the Good Wear sight are any indication they are beautiful jackets. The proportion of the different elements (pockets, sleeves, collar) seems to me like the best of any maker. I also personally really like the cranberry colored knits on that example and the orange lining.

Jacob Dubow

Familiar Face
Hey ChuckO, I like them too.......A LOT!!

The Dubow 27798 contract (as reproduced by Good Wear, Real McCoys, and Lost Worlds), was one of the larger A-2 contracts manufactured during WWII. The 27798 Dubow is a solid favorite of many flight jacket enthusiasts.......I am definitely one of them.

J.A. Dubow........aka Ted

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
ChuckO said:
Has anyone bought the Dubow from Goodwear yet. I haven't heard much about Dubow jackets but if the photos from the Good Wear sight are any indication they are beautiful jackets. The proportion of the different elements (pockets, sleeves, collar) seems to me like the best of any maker. I also personally really like the cranberry colored knits on that example and the orange lining.

I hope to have my Goodwear Dubow the first part of Feb. I'll post some pics of it when I get it. I'm getting it in the English Pub Coffee John offers.

fedoralover

CBI

One Too Many
Here are some outdoor pics of my month old Goodwear Aero

IMG_4091.jpg

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Goodwear looks great CBI, the drape of the leather John uses looks more like the originals and of course the patterns are dead on. Which one are you getting next?

fedoralover

ChuckO

New in Town
fedoralover said:
I hope to have my Goodwear Dubow the first part of Feb. I'll post some pics of it when I get it. I'm getting it in the English Pub Coffee John offers.

fedoralover

I'll be looking forward to seeing that. That's the color I would want.

CBI

One Too Many
Thanks - Goodwear Aero contract with earlier (Aero) contract rounded pocket bottoms. Bonanza Mesa Cowhide. Dyed knits. The Aero is my favorite A-2 contract. To me the high waist, square/straight shoulders, etc. give the jacket a cool pre-war/early-war look to it. All of the contracts look great - hey they ARE A-2's!

Fedoralover - Thanks - Which GW next? I am so happy with what I have that for the first time I don't have that strong urge to quickly order yet another. My interest was peaked a little when I noticed some of John's test jackets were for sale. Someday, I might get another GW as my patch jacket or as a painted jacket. I have all original CBI 23rd Fighter Group/14th AF leather patches that would look great on a GW. Really 1 "clean" and 1 patched or painted jacket is all I want/need. Between the GW and the ELC patched (see pics) and my Cal Sports 1960 G-1, I have about all the jackets I can wear. Its 70 degrees here now (in Jan.!) 20 plus years ago I had a very large aviation collection including a number of original A-2's (back in the days when they were affordable"). My patch collection had well over 2,000 items. Sold it all to go back to college. Hey, anyone remember a store called Leathers and Treasures on Melrose Street in West Hollywood, California. That store had a GREAT section of all old flight jackets. They used to sell them to the studios for films. THOSE WERE THE DAYS! Bought some great ones there (this would be over 20 years ago).

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
John has other jackets he's developing also. The number of contracts he's making now is incredible and to think there are more to come means we will all have a lot more choices to make, and of course thinner wallets as a result.

fedoralover

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch