Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

**NEWS EXTRA**Good Wear flying jackets take vintage authenticity to new heights!!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
English Pub Coffee

What a name for a color...John, do you realize the connotations of weakness, lack of flavor and unpalatability that traditionally result from combining the words "English" and "coffee"? lol

This color - rich, robust, deep, yumptious ultradarkbrown - oughta be called English (or Irish) Stout.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Goodwear A-2 (JC does it again!)

Well, I think I've found my perfect A-2 jacket. I've been talking with John, looking over leather samples, etc. and have pretty much decided on his reproduction Aero 21996 jacket. John has a lot of nice leathers to choose from already, but now...get this A-2 fans...he has informed me that he is spray dyeing his own leather!! That's right, just one more step toward 100% authenticity that John is willing to take.

(John I hope you don't mind me singing praises for this new finish technique! :) :) )

Take a look at these before and after shots of the Bonanza Mesa cowhide.
Before
IMG_3536.jpg

After
front_view1.jpg

Here's a link to that page showing the spray-dyed Bonanza finish.
http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/gw27753_images1.html
Absolutely amazing!!!

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Wow, John just keeps fine tuning his jackets. The leathers John uses are really different than the other vendors. They are hard to photograph and show the way they look in person. I got some samples recently and the pics shown on the various posts don't do them justice. This addition looks awesome. What's next??

John, when you have time you should update your web page with the other additions you've made. The A-1 and the Aero 16160 aren't there, or at least I haven't seen them.

regards fedoralover

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Dreamin of an A-1 year!!

Now if THIS arrived on my birthday in few days it would be a 21st to remember!!;)

Does this have the same mouth drooling effect on 'you' that it does on me...?

front_view_flat.jpg

front_view2.jpg

Mike K.

One Too Many
fedoralover said:
I got some samples recently and the pics shown on the various posts don't do them justice.
Agreed!! Photos also don't give you any idea how the leather will wear over time. That's another reason I like to get samples first. You can take a leather swatch and scuff it, oil it, expose it to water, and whatever else to see what will happen over time as you wear the actual jacket. I like a jacket that will arrive new and age gradually like the originals, rather than take on that aged look within the first two weeks.

John are you planning to stick with the leather jackets or also venture into the realm of the B-10, etc.?

Mike K.

One Too Many
PADDY said:
Does this have the same mouth drooling effect on 'you' that it does on me...?
You bet Paddy! I'm having visions of that jacket coupled with a nice A-4 flight suit, A-9 helmet, and a sunrise flight in a Stearman. :rolleyes:
Call me a nostalgic aviator! :D

CBI

One Too Many
Just want to pass on my highest recommendation for Goodwear A-2's. My Aero GW came a few weeks back, been wearing it. THE BEST - order one today!

BuzzTheTower

New in Town
Thanks so much Gents! I've been making a lot of different jackets, and have some new stuff. I've just finished a first attempt at a Werber 42-1402-P, in a rather cheap leather (for a test jacket). The pattern is really cool, and I can't wait to make one for photographs that's made with really good leather...

http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/gwwerber_images1.html

Also, I made a goatskin size 52 Dubow for a customer. Here are three photos...

front_view.jpg

front_view_flat.jpg

collar.jpg

I should have some interesting versions of the A-1 to be photographed, too, but it'll take a couple weeks. That set of photos was the first one I tried to make, and I learned a lot, so I'll be making more of them.

Thanks again!
John

Windsock

A-List Customer
Thanks for posting those shots JC, the Dubow looks exactly what i'm looking for. It will almost definitely be my next one.

Andrew

CBI

One Too Many
John - Great job on the Werber. You really nailed the fit/drape compared to the original!!!! Enjoying my GW Aero very much - thanks!

WhiskeyTangoFox

One of the Regulars
Geez! John is making so many wonderful jackets he is making it difficult to choose which one to get. I had my heart set on getting the Good Wear Aero 16160, then I see the A-1, and now the Werber; he is killing me!

On the other hand, maybe that's his marketing strategy: "...can't decide which one to get, try one of each!" ;)

Great stuff, Mr. Chapman!

Noel

greyhound68

A-List Customer
My new Goodwears

Got to show off my two new Goodwears. The first is a Doniger which is a clone of my original Doniger. Excellent Goatskin and the killer is you can't tell the difference between the original and the GW. Sorry for the poor photos in advance.

IMG_0446.jpg

The next is the prototype GW A-1. Wow is all I can say. I know you have seen better photos of this one.
IMG_0445.jpg

greyhound68

A-List Customer
WhiskeyTangoFox said:
Geez! John is making so many wonderful jackets he is making it difficult to choose which one to get. I had my heart set on getting the Good Wear Aero 16160, then I see the A-1, and now the Werber; he is killing me!

On the other hand, maybe that's his marketing strategy: "...can't decide which one to get, try one of each!" ;)

Great stuff, Mr. Chapman!

Noel

Noel,
Yeah I know what you mean now I have three and I am broke. A Doniger, Bronco, and the A-1

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Great looking jackets Greyhound. Kinda like that old potato chip commercial, "bet you can't eat just one" has become "bet you can't own just one", when it comes to a Goodwear jacket.

I anxious to see the new A-1 styles John has come up with. John if you read this post, can you say what changes you've made??

fedoralover

ChuckO

New in Town
Goodwear Poll

Hi,
I'm new to the site. I really appreciate all the great info on the different makers of repro A2's and the picture's of real people wearing them and reviewing them. I have a question for the Goodwear owners. I've been noticing that between pictural evidence and peoples comments they seem to be buying sizes larger than they need. Is that because Goodwears are hard to get and people have mostly gotten what they had available in order to get them quickly?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy