Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

**NEWS EXTRA**Good Wear flying jackets take vintage authenticity to new heights!!

Rufus

Practically Family
FL,

That jacket is beautiful... what is the name of the colour of that hide? I really love the darker hides on A2s.

The pebbling is amazing.... as is the stitching.

Have fun wearing that beauty!

Yours...jealously
Rufus

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Just 'beautiful' work John!

That is one lovely jacket. The grain just makes it for me (as I'm a grainy/jerky sort of guy when it comes to vintage leather). The contrasting thread just sets it off nicely as do the knits. Love the way JC will dye the zipper tape for that extra touch of authenticity. And for me the cut of the pockets and the siting of them just makes this jacket above all others so much more 'real' looking.

I'm waiting for some more A-1's to take flight from JC's hanger!!

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Rufus said:
FL,

That jacket is beautiful... what is the name of the colour of that hide? I really love the darker hides on A2s.

The pebbling is amazing.... as is the stitching.

Have fun wearing that beauty!

Yours...jealously
Rufus

Rufus, this isn't my jacket. I wish it was, but I intend to have one just like it. Some other lucky bloke owns it. I believe the color is called "Vermont Expresso".

fedoralover

Rufus

Practically Family
My apologies... shows you what comes from skim reading when you should be working...

It's a great colour, and hide for that matter. Like Paddy, I like Hides that have a real texture to them.

Kudos to JC.... outstanding work!

:) Rufus.. the less than diligent reader

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Here's a front flat view. Can you imagine what this will look like with a year's wear? That grain, which is already popping out, will look fantastic.

front_view_flat.jpg

fedoralover

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
I'm sure the Goodwear Dubow will develop a fine patina over time. It's not just about grain, time gives leather a polish. Here's some details of an original Dubow I restored a few years ago for comparison. New cuffs and waistband, obviously.

OriginalA-2Cuff.jpg

OriginalA-2Pocket.jpg
OriginalA-2Zip.jpg

Alan

Estevan

One of the Regulars
ChuckO said:
Man, that's good looking! The only thing I would change is add the rust knits from the GW Aero to that Dubow.

Rust knits are awesome! I love the combo of rust with russet, in fact a mint Aero with 100% original knitting is my dream. Either you love it or hate it. I just happen to love it. :arated:

Mike K.

One Too Many
Estevan said:
I love the combo of rust with russet
Ahh, russet and rust. My favorite too!
I just got an email from JC and he'll be sending samples of his latest horsehide. He's got both seal and russet, some spray-dyed and even an aniline-dyed! I can't wait. As soon as my tax refund arrives I'll be placing my order. :D

rumblefish

One Too Many
fedoralover said:
Here's a pic of some of the new horse hide John has in russet on a United sheeplined contract.

fedoralover

Yeah, I noticed John has changed the example for the United contract.
Nice looking hide! This is real close to what I'm thinking about for the next one...a Werber, with greenish gray knits. I'd like to see how it wears in a year.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
rumblefish said:
This is real close to what I'm thinking about for the next one...a Werber, with greenish gray knits. I'd like to see how it wears in a year.

Did you say "WERBER"? Here's one John just made. He's keeping pretty busy it seems.

GWWerber.jpg

fedoralover

FLATHEAD

New in Town
front_view1-1.jpg

Fedora, do you know what type of leather this is?

This is the best looking leather jacket I have ever seen, period.

I want one!!

Jim

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Another Goodwear master piece!!

This isn't my jacket, wish it were. But if there's any doubt who makes the best "True" A-2 repro this should really settle it.

01_collars.jpg

06_pockets.jpg

08_cuffs.jpg

fedoralover

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I'm currently in the process of ordering an A-2 (27753) from John. Just going through the sizing stage at the mo.

Looking forward to my jacket enormously!

Mike K.

One Too Many
I'm getting ready to do the same! In the mean time, I'm drooling over the new horsehide and how amazingly accurate it is. Still debating over the Dubow, Aero, and 27753 contracts. Maybe some day I'll own one of each.

fedoralover - if it weren't for the photo captions (and the few moth nips) one would be hard pressed to tell the difference between John's reproduction and the original...amazing!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner