Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

**NEWS EXTRA**Good Wear flying jackets take vintage authenticity to new heights!!

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes it would, but you can't get 100% accurate hh these days. The GW Indian goat is the closest leather John uses to original goat IMO.

58FURY

Familiar Face
It was a little large but I performed some hot water surgery and the fit has improved dramatically. I'm rather fond of the "shrink to perfect fit " concept..

Mark

Can I ask some advice guys?

This quote comes from 2007 (Fishmeok).

My Dad gave me a Jacket.... he bought it because it "looked like the Jacket the guys wear in that movie Space Cowboys!"

It's a good jacket but a modern copy.
I'm not sure of the model, I'll take a look when I return home from a business trip.

However it doesn't look good on me.

It's too "puffy".

Mark mentioned shrink with hot water, should I just stick it in the washing machine on a boil wash or pour the contents of a kettle on it..... please advise me before I ruin it.

Also, the zipper doesn't stay zipped. Once zipped up, the teeth easy pull apart.

Can anyone advise me so that I can start breaking it in (it's a little stiff).

Thanks.

Lee.

lol
See this picture of a Werber after one year's wear from JG's site:

Russet_HH_03.jpg

Russet_HH_01.jpg

Very very nice.
Any idea who does John's patches?

aswatland

Welcome to the forum Lee. This thread is about Goodwear jackets and your question is about the hotwater treatment to a mall-type jacket so you will get more responses by starting a new thread on the subject.

aswatland

Here is a link to one of my favourite contracts, a GW Doniger in a size 44. The pictures were taken by JC before it was shipped to me last summer.

http://www.goodwearleather.com/doniger_andrew/

Hear are some later pictures.This is the second GW Doniger that I have bought from John. The first was an early production model but this one from 2011 is even better, made from veg tanned Indian goatskin. It is a size 44 and when compared with my two originals is spot on in every respect. It is very comfortable to wear.

020-1.jpg

021.jpg

023.jpg

D

Deleted member 16736

Does anybody have pictures of their Arcadia? I have a new order in with John and I'm debating whether to get an Arcadia or another A-2 (I sold my Dubow because it was just too big and baggy for me -- and now I'm losing weight too).

bretron

Call Me a Cab
So I'm bumping this for some collective input:

Anyone handled or own a jacket made out of JC's new light russet JP hh? Im interested to hear thoughts comments re: grain and handle. Vickie is going to send me samples, but this'll be my first NEW GW so i am very to get some perspective from the A2 profs :lol: pics would be especially nice ;)

D

Deleted member 16736

I have a sample. I've never seen an original A-2 in person, but it doesn't resemble the russet jackets I've seen online. It's very light-colored. I wasn't interested. His seal brown HH is his best leather, in my opinion.

I concur Edward. I've seen a lot of WWII A-2's, but of course they're all ~70 years old. What did they look like new? Hard to say. But like you, light Russet doesn't fit my bill. Dark Russet and Seal are the only colors I consider. Now, that may limit me, but that's OK. I just don't like pale hides. I've been looking at 1000's of pics and while there are some "red' Russets to be seen, I'm going to stick with darker.
I just bought a lightly used Aero A-2 (42-15143-P) in jerky seal HH. Should have it soon. I did that because I'm pretty sure my GW will be the '38 Aero now.
But anyone ordering should ask for samples. Pics and stories aren't always accurate. But even samples can't guarantee what you'll see as there are batches to consider, which can vary in color, grain, etc.

767fo

One of the Regulars
I had the pleasure of trying on the 1401P that is currently on John's sale page. I thought the color was very rich and the grain was amazing. It is all personal taste but I really liked it. If it was larger in the shoulders I would have never sent it back. If this jacket would fit anyone of you I would grab it. It's a work of art!!!

I had the pleasure of trying on the 1401P that is currently on John's sale page. I thought the color was very rich and the grain was amazing. It is all personal taste but I really liked it. If it was larger in the shoulders I would have never sent it back. If this jacket would fit anyone of you I would grab it. It's a work of art!!!
This one??? Yeah, that's awesome. But for me, too light. That's my boss speaking, but I agree with her. I'm too translucent for lighter hides lol

767fo

One of the Regulars
You have plenty of time to make up your mind. I do look forward to seeing what you end up with. Stay on the good side of your boss. Your first Good Wear will not be your last:)

You have plenty of time to make up your mind. I do look forward to seeing what you end up with. Stay on the good side of your boss. Your first Good Wear will not be your last:)
You mean change my mind, right? lolI know - a number of the guys have been telling me that - you and Brian especially. Given the two of you could make a catalog for GW, I trust you both empirically!

3onaMatch

One of the Regulars
O.K. gentlemen, we've got enough pics on here of brand-new Goodwears to choke a horse, but it seems we are severly lacking in examples of jackets with extended periods of wear and use (Paddy being a notable exception). So how 'bout it? Let's get some pics up to show how they are all aging. Wouldn't hurt to mention the models and leather details either.

O.K. gentlemen, we've got enough pics on here of brand-new Goodwears to choke a horse, but it seems we are severly lacking in examples of jackets with extended periods of wear and use (Paddy being a notable exception). So how 'bout it? Let's get some pics up to show how they are all aging. Wouldn't hurt to mention the models and leather details either.
Everyone has so many jackets that they don't get worn in lolSomeone posted a crazy worn-in GW A2 on VLJ today. I guess we could link those pics - they're drool-worthy.
3a7fb885.jpg
652603b5.jpg
66ece30b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo