Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

**NEWS EXTRA**Good Wear flying jackets take vintage authenticity to new heights!!

Peacoat

Bartender
1087 said:
Hello Peacoat;
I absolutely agree with you, and I can't wait to see the final product, you know John is a very talented and nice individual...a pleasure to deal with him.
I'm a motorcyclist, so that's the direction we are going, but it will be also a casual jacket as well.
The A2 Poughkeepsie is an outstanding jacket, do you happen to open a thread about it?, I don't recall seen your new jacket
If so, please let me know.
I hope I will have my GW jacket for Thanksgiving time!

No, I haven't started a thread. Someone else got a Poughkeepsie a while back, which is what got me interested. He posted several pictures, and mine looks just about like his. The color may be a bit different, though.

When mine gets grained out some more, I may post some pics. I did take some pictures of it just out of the box for comparison, so there will be a bit of difference between the new and well broken in. It now looks a treat.

One of the Regulars
Peacoat said:
No, I haven't started a thread. Someone else got a Poughkeepsie a while back, which is what got me interested. He posted several pictures, and mine looks just about like his. The color may be a bit different, though.

When mine gets grained out some more, I may post some pics. I did take some pictures of it just out of the box for comparison, so there will be a bit of difference between the new and well broken in. It now looks a treat.

I really like to see pictures of your jacket then and now.
I'd been looking to your jackets threads and I'm impress with your great collection!
You know what it takes Sir!
PS: I just noticed that your answer to me was your 1000th post, Congrats!

One of the Regulars
Cooperson said:
1087 - You have me intrigued! What ever it is you will not be disappointed. My Ventura has now broken in a treat and it's become my 'go to' jacket. The hide John uses and the quality of his workmanship is top quality. Can't wait to see your design!

Mr Peacoat - Would really like to see your new Goodwear.

Helllo Mr. Cooperson;
Don't worry I'm intrigued myself!lol
You said that your Ventura is already broken in?
I can't remember exactly when did you get it, but perhaps was 3 months ago?
If that is the case, it was a quick break in.
Correct me if I'm wrong please.

Graemsay

Practically Family
Is it based around the Mojave?

I'm intrigued to see what John's cooking up for you...

How open is he to custom work? I was toying with the idea of getting a hybrid civilian flying jacket along the lines of the Electra (pictures now taken down), but wasn't sure if he'd go along with that.

Cooperson

One Too Many
Helllo Mr. Cooperson;
Don't worry I'm intrigued myself!lol
You said that your Ventura is already broken in?
I can't remember exactly when did you get it, but perhaps was 3 months ago?
If that is the case, it was a quick break in.
Correct me if I'm wrong please.

Yes, it's exactly 3 months old today! It was pliable straight out the box, but after just a couple of weeks of wearing it around the house in the evenings it really softened and began to drape. It's not as thick and heavy as Aero's heavy horse but it has a real quality feel to it.

Looking forward to your seeing your pics when your jacket arrives.

One of the Regulars
Yes, it's exactly 3 months old today! It was pliable straight out the box, but after just a couple of weeks of wearing it around the house in the evenings it really softened and began to drape. It's not as thick and heavy as Aero's heavy horse but it has a real quality feel to it.

Looking forward to your seeing your pics when your jacket arrives.

Thanks for your answer Cooperson, it's good to know!:cheers1::cheers1:

Last edited:

Infinitum

A-List Customer
My Good Wear jacket - 3/7 update

Hello, first post here. :D

I received my Good Wear Californian jacket today, and I am very impressed. The leather is thick, 3oz horsehide. Nickel accents with a Waldes zipper, Bemberg lining. Very good heft and overall feel to the jacket.

2ptco7s.jpg

25a3gnc.jpg

One of the Regulars
Welcome to the Lounge!
Great way to start your participation here!
Congrats in your Ventura, looks fantastic, superb fit and the hide looks great as well!
When you have a chance post more pics please.

Chi-Town Co

Familiar Face
Horse leather is a great color.. I like the adjusting straps on the sleeves and sides.. Does the back have a bi-swing action? The fit looks good and very trim . How is the sleeve length?

Infinitum

A-List Customer
Thank you all. :D

The wait was only a few days - this was a prototype model that was made and was not yet on their site - I simply "got in" at the right time. I think, generally, the wait is 6 months but I may be wrong on that.

The back does have a bi-swing action and a half-belt as well. The sleeve length, IMO, is perfect for me. I do not generally layer with jackets, and only wear a t-shirt or dress shirt, but no sweaters. It works nicely.

The customer service was top notch - John Chapman, the owner and one and only maker of the jackets, took time to answer several of my e-mails with lengthy responses. Very cool. Another company, which shall remain nameless, got back to two of my questions with "Sold out" and "no".

A few stock photos:

29ksv41.jpg

96ztad.jpg

nobxvr.jpg

One of the Regulars
Great call on a great jacket!
What's different in your Ventura that you called a prototype?
He posted those pics on October 28th, so you really have the latest, until...
I get mine this coming week-end, he is actually making the jacket now.
You are correct, wait is 6 months, I ordered mine back in May

Cooperson

One Too Many
Welcome to the lounge. Congratulations on a great looking jacket - a nice vintage fit too. If it's from the same hide as my Ventura you will find it will relax and break in very quickly - the beauty of the design though is that the jacket will never look baggy. You mention it was a new model but the only obvious difference I can spot between this and the Ventura is the addition of a throat latch - are there any other changes you know of?

Great jacket, enjoy!

JanSolo

Practically Family
Hi and welcome to the forum. That's a great jacket. I like the pattern and the colour/hide very much. Nice period details as well. That zipper is that a replica or deadstock one? To be honest although the overall fit is spot on the sleeves look a tad too short for my taste but maybe it's just the picture. Does the sleeve length work for you?

Michael Carter

One of the Regulars
I like that. Very nice workmanship and a good design. I would have only added a short strap and buckle at the bottom front. It looks like it's missing something but that's just me I guess.

Edward

Bartender
I have my eye on just that jacket model - John does beautiful work. I'm just waiting for the pound to come back up to the glory days of being worth USD2.20 so I can afford it. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic